21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Question regarding fat
Created on: 01/02/13 07:05 AM Views: 3046 Replies: 24
Question regarding fat
Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Hi Smile

My question is about fat. I am trying to do Esselstyn's diet, but I am having a hard time with the low fat portion of it. I'm 45.

Is it REALLY okay to eat such little fat?

Also, I am thinking about ordering some of these Omega3 supplements http://www.ovega.com/ and was wondering if anyone else takes them.

Thank you!
Tracy

Edited 01/02/13 7:06 AM
RE: Question regarding fat
Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Yes it is ok, and much more heart healthy to eat so little fat. Read Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Dr. Esselstyn. The results are amazing, what a low-fat vegan diet did to reverse their illnesses.

As for Omega 3s, you will get a good balance just by following a plant based diet. If you're truly worried, try to eat more leafy greens.

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Jodie wrote:

Yes it is ok, and much more heart healthy to eat so little fat. Read Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Dr. Esselstyn. The results are amazing, what a low-fat vegan diet did to reverse their illnesses.

As for Omega 3s, you will get a good balance just by following a plant based diet. If you're truly worried, try to eat more leafy greens.

Thank you, Jody Smile I have read his book and have watched tons of his stuff on the internet. I just want to make sure I give my body exactly what it needs. It probably doesn't help that I have been a Weston Price fan in the past. lol

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM

LOL! Yes, it is hard to get over the things you were told was good for you in the past. I used to think "I'll never get osteoporosis" cuz I LOVED milk. Now I just get upset about being lied to by the dairy industry all those years.

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Just to reiterate, it really is okay to eat a low-fat diet. Plant foods have a healthy amount of fats in them and in an ideal ratio of omega-3 to omega-6.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM

There are fats in pretty much everything - where do corn oil, flaxseed oil, wheat germ oil, olive oil, etc come from? Inside plants! Some things have more than others (for example, peanuts have more fat than spinach) but as long as there's a good variety of foods that you're eating, odds are you'll get enough fat (the kickstart plan aims for about 10% of calories from fat, so it's in there already).

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Thank you so much for the replies! I am eating a little more fat than Esselstyn suggests. For example, I had some almond butter with breakfast (on my Ezekiel English muffin), I spritzed my skillet a teeny bit when I sauteed some bok choy, and I have had a few walnuts today.

Just trying to figure it all out. Smile

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Tracy, I have used the very low fat Esselstyn diet for almost 2 years. My blood work results are looking great. All - including protein- are right in the middle of the high and low ranges. I do not take any protein supplements.

My fat splurge over the holidays was 4 peanut m&ms, not 4 bags, 4 peanuts. Remember on page 86 when one of Dr. Esselstyn's patient was having olive oil with a salad and the angina recurred?

I figure if I'm going to take the trouble to do the diet, I might as well be as perfect as possible. I survived my first heart attack and I'm determined to do everything possible not to have another. I am taking charge and responsibility for my own health.

I'm up to running 90 miles a month and will make it 100 miles a month this year.
My heart function has returned to normal and my cardiologist has discontinued all my heart meds except a small dose of statins for my hereditary cholesterol. My cardiologist usually wants his patients to do a stress test a year after the procedure but I got to bypassed the test because of my angina free running. That's the kind of bypass I like!

Edited 01/02/13 8:34 PM
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Dontx wrote:

Tracy, I have used the very low fat Esselstyn diet for almost 2 years. My blood work results are looking great. All - including protein- are right in the middle of the high and low ranges. I do not take any protein supplements.

That is amazing! You've turned your life around! Thank you so much for taking the time to share with me. I need to trust the process.

I work out a lot too. Right now I am doing P90X. I'm 5'4" at 117 pounds. I don't want to lose weight at all, and I'm finding it a challenge to actually eat enough calories. With the weight lifting I am doing plus to not lose weight, I think I need around 1,700 daily. When I counted up my calories last night they were only 1,350. I was full and satisfied though.

I'm still reading Engine 2 and am picking up the book Thrive today. I am hoping to learn from top vegan athletes how to fuel my body with enough calories.

Hopefully soon I will be able to contribute to helping others on this board and not just need help. I'm not usually so needy! lol Shocked

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Tracy, just a note about the fats. 3 years before my heart attack I found out that I had plaque built-up through a $99 heart scan - in fact right where the plaque was built up (and broke off causing the heart attack) is where there is now a stint. I lost 30 pounds on the American Heart Association Diet and was had been mostly vegetarian for 6 months and vegan for 2 months before. I wish the heart hospital would have recommended Esselstyn's book. The fat is what I believe was the culprit. I ate lots of nuts and guacamole.

If you are going vegan for health reasons, the low fat is essential if you have atherosclerosis.

It was the KickStart program that recommended Esselstyn's book. A trip to Houston to The Weatherhead PET Center for Preventing and Reversing Atherosclerosis with their emphasis on exercise, low fat diet, and a lean body solidified the facts for me and is the incentive to keep me on this diet/lifestyle.

Tracy, I'm adding weights to my cardio training. I Just googled the p90x it sounds intense. Is there any information on eliminating the supplements with a low fat vegan diet?

Edited 01/03/13 8:25 AM
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I'd appreciate a bit more information than a simple, "don't worry, low fat is just fine." What about the distinction between "good" and "bad" fats that I've heard so much about? For example, I typically put avocado on my salads and walnuts on my oatmeal because I've heard that those are "good" fats. And I've also heard that being too strict about avoiding fats is a bad idea because a certain amount of fat is necessary, especially for proper brain function. So, what's the appropirate amount of fat and where should we be getting it? Thanks in advance for any additional information!

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I'd appreciate a bit more information than a simple, "don't worry, low fat is just fine." What about the distinction between "good" and "bad" fats that I've heard so much about? For example, I typically put avocado on my salads and walnuts on my oatmeal because I've heard that those are "good" fats. And I've also heard that being too strict about avoiding fats is a bad idea because a certain amount of fat is necessary, especially for proper brain function. So, what's the appropirate amount of fat and where should we be getting it? Thanks in advance for any additional information!

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM

yes, a certain amount of fat is needed - and virtually every plant has some fat in it to start with. Most people don't really need to worry about not getting enough fat, even when eating a totally plant based lifestyle. Again, the kickstart is not "fat free" - the target is 10% of calories from fat, which is plenty for healthy living without having to look for ways to add extra fat. If you're pregnant/nursing, you'd probably need to add some fat. If you burn through a lot of calories in a day (marathoning or whatever), you can probably add some fat since it's a source of compact calories (9 calories per gram if I remember correctly). Otherwise, following the basic parameters of the kickstart plan is plenty (assuming you're eating a variety of foods and you're eating a reasonable amount of calories for your personal needs).

--DebR

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 4:56 PM

What does "10% of calories from fat" mean in terms of grams? Is there a formula like you provided for protein (0.36 x body weight)? For an 1800 calorie diet, 10% of calories is 180 but that's not fat grams? I'm confused!

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 4:58 PM

From what I've read, the body can make all the fats it needs on its own from plant-based foods. The only fats the body cannot make on its own are saturated fats but those are definitely okay not to have.

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM

rachelemeyer wrote:

What does "10% of calories from fat" mean in terms of grams? Is there a formula like you provided for protein (0.36 x body weight)? For an 1800 calorie diet, 10% of calories is 180 but that's not fat grams? I'm confused!

Edited 01/03/13 6:08 PM
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 6:05 PM

rachelemeyer wrote:

22.5g since 8 calories are in 1g of fat.

But i think the point is just to avoid using overt fats in foods and not count. The not counting part is what appeals to me about this. I've been counting cals for years with mixed success. Since starting this i stopped and have lost far more weight than when i was counting cals and i finally feel like i can eat as much as i want without feeling guilty.

Edited 01/03/13 6:07 PM
Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 9:07 AM

dirtbooksun wrote:

But i think the point is just to avoid using overt fats in foods and not count. The not counting part is what appeals to me about this. I've been counting cals for years with mixed success. Since starting this i stopped and have lost far more weight than when i was counting cals and i finally feel like i can eat as much as i want without feeling guilty.

Yup. Don't ADD fat to things and eat sparingly (if at all, depending on your needs) of higher fat foods like nuts, you almost can't avoid ending up in a good range if you're getting adequate calories and eating a variety of foods (grains, beans, legumes, veggies of all sorts, fruits). And, to get adequate calories, eat until you are satisfied (not stuffed or sated) - whether that's one serving of veggie full chili or three.

--DebR

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Dontx wrote:

My fat splurge over the holidays was 4 peanut m&ms, not 4 bags, 4 peanuts. Remember on page 86 when one of Dr. Esselstyn's patient was having olive oil with a salad and the angina recurred?

I figure if I'm going to take the trouble to do the diet, I might as well be as perfect as possible. I survived my first heart attack and I'm determined to do everything possible not to have another. I am taking charge and responsibility for my own health.

I'm up to running 90 miles a month and will make it 100 miles a month this year.
My heart function has returned to normal and my cardiologist has discontinued all my heart meds except a small dose of statins for my hereditary cholesterol. My cardiologist usually wants his patients to do a stress test a year after the procedure but I got to bypassed the test because of my angina free running. That's the kind of bypass I like!

Dontx,

What an inspiring story you have to share! Your running sounds truly joyous.

Thank you for sharing your story!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 674 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org