21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Dad's appetite
Created on: 05/31/13 01:07 PM Views: 1286 Replies: 5
Dad's appetite
Posted Friday, May 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM

My father is 77, has COPD, AFIB, and type 2 diabetes. The doctors have given him an extensive list of foods he can't have, including all meat except for Salmon. Neither can he have potatoes, white or sweet, or most green vegetables. The only lettuce he can have is iceburg. He also has little appetite and says it's hard for him to swallow most solid food. I've suggested to Mom that she make him a smoothie in a blender but says she doesn't have one. I'll get her a blender, no problem, but Dad can't live off smoothies alone. Any suggestions besides smoothies, tomato soup, broth, applesauce, etc.? His salt is limited to none, and herbs are restricted so their meals are bland by neccesity.

Jennifer

RE: Dad's appetite
Posted Friday, May 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM

dodink58 wrote:

My father is 77, has COPD, AFIB, and type 2 diabetes. The doctors have given him an extensive list of foods he can't have, including all meat except for Salmon. Neither can he have potatoes, white or sweet, or most green vegetables. The only lettuce he can have is iceburg. He also has little appetite and says it's hard for him to swallow most solid food. I've suggested to Mom that she make him a smoothie in a blender but says she doesn't have one. I'll get her a blender, no problem, but Dad can't live off smoothies alone. Any suggestions besides smoothies, tomato soup, broth, applesauce, etc.? His salt is limited to none, and herbs are restricted so their meals are bland by neccesity.

Jennifer

Curious as to the whys of it - I can understand if he's on blood thinners that leafy greens are out (although they can calibrate the medication to include one serving of leafies per day if he wants them - my mom's been on blood thinners for years).

As long as there's a good range of nutrients (protein, fat, fiber, etc.) yes, he could live off smoothies - there are folks who live on thick liquids and nothing more due to medical issues. Maybe check with the doctor regarding something akin to Glucerna shakes - they are designed specifically to assist with these types of situations.

Why are herbs restricted? All herbs or is it only spices, not actually herbs, or only the green leafy type things?

If he can have applesauce, what about other mashed type foods like cauliflower or squashes?

Also, treading gently here, you might want to see if depression is an issue because that can really rob a person of appetite in general, and even moreso if the food is blah.

--DebR

Posted Friday, May 31, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Dad is taking coumadin blood thinner, as well as a slew of other medicines (I don't know which ones, Mom hasn't told me specifically). Mom didn't say if there are specific seasonings which are restricted except "herbs, garlic and salt". I wish they would let me go with my Dad to his doctor appointments so that I could get more answers!

Jennifer

Posted Friday, May 31, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I went with my mother to her oncology appointments as an "extra" ear to help them remember everything, take notes to give info to friends and family and it enabled me to ask questions. My step father resented it but my mom felt relief that I would be there to help her understand all that was going on as I was a medical transcriptionist at the time so I understood the medical talk. Perhaps you could ask for your parents to give the okay to the doctor so you can call for information or ask to go with them the next time. The worst that happens is they say no.

Best wishes!!!!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Saturday, June 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Thank you! I'm a CNA and I've tried to convince my parents to let me go with them to doctor appointments, but so far they haven't. Mom asks me to explain somethings to her after the appointment but since she didn't understand what the doctor said in the first place, she doesn't give me much to go on.

Jennifer

Posted Monday, June 3, 2013 at 8:06 AM

"herbs, garlic, and salt" leaves a lot of other seasonings on the table (so to speak) - paprika, chili powder (get the individual kinds - like ancho or chipotle - that are just the ground chilies, no salt), curries (again, check for sodium), mustard, pepper, cinnamon (which can sometimes help glucose levels), nutmeg, ginger, and so on.

Would your parents be okay authorizing you as an additional contact person, someone who can check with the doctor about the situation even if you don't go to the appointments with them? When my FIL was very ill, all the medical stuff, plus the financial stuff and all, was too much for my MIL. So, she authorized them to contact me with information and then I'd relay information to her in a manner she could manage it. It was really helpful to her because I didn't have the overwhelming emotional aspects of a seriously ill spouse, so I could take notes, ask questions, and really clarify things.

FWIW my mom has been on Coumadin for decades and most spices are fine. For that matter, it is possible to titrate the Coumadin dosage to allow for a small consistent amount of greens and herbs every day - my mom has it calibrated for the equivalent of a small tossed salad each day; it can be an actual salad, or it can be some cooked spinach, or whatever she chooses, as long as it's consistent.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 567 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org