21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Why Gluten free?
Created on: 02/22/13 03:44 PM Views: 1501 Replies: 4
Why Gluten free?
Posted Friday, February 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM

What is the big deal with Gluten? I want to embrace the entire vegan lifestyle and in doing so, reduce my carbon footprint. (Hence my desire for vegan-friendly clothing.) So many of the vegan products tout that they're "gluten free". Isn't gluten one of the protein sources in wheat? Is having a gluten intolerance similar to having a lactose intolerance? Gluten in and of itself isn't an animal product, is it?

Jennifer

RE: Why Gluten free?
Posted Friday, February 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM

A very small percentage of the American population is sensitive to gluten, about 7 percent. Even fewer people cannot digest gluten at all; they have Celiac disease. For those people, gluten should be monitored. For everyone else, it's not an issue.

It has nothing to do with vegan or vegetarian diets.

The percentage of the population with lactose intolerance is much higher.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, February 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I have Celiac, as does my sister, and I can promise you life will be much easier if you don't need this path and avoid it. As Susan said, it isn't a problem for most people, don't jump on this fad wagon.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, February 22, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I have lactose intolerance so was using soy milk before I started a vegan diet. I wish you success in dealing with your Celiac disease.

Jennifer

Posted Friday, February 22, 2013 at 7:13 PM

dodink58 wrote:

I have lactose intolerance so was using soy milk before I started a vegan diet. I wish you success in dealing with your Celiac disease.

Jennifer

Thank you Jennifer! I have been aware of the CD for some years now, so I am an old hat at it. But sure miss things like Subway and such! Smile

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 229 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org