21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Last Day Blues!
Created on: 02/23/13 12:35 AM Views: 1112 Replies: 3
Last Day Blues!
Posted Saturday, February 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM

This has been such a fabulous 21 day adventure. It was a little sad to get up today and not find a new message. I joined the program on a whim and as an attempt to stop using half and half in my coffee. But in this 3 weeks I've done way more than give up dairy.

I've found it easy to follow the meal plan and inspiring to read everyone's posts. The puffiness around my eyes (that I've attributed to age) has receded, I've lost more than 4 pounds and I have more energy than ever. I love this! I'll definitely be signed up for March.

I've eaten more starch--brown rice, whole wheat pasta, pita pizzas and bread than I've eaten in years (probably since 1993!). I have to say that it made me anxious; for so long I've thought that I need to eat lean protein and avoid anything starchy.I still worry about it but that doesn't keep me from happily dining on my new fare. (Seriously, I went low-fat in the early 1990s. But then it was all white bread, fat-free Entemenn's coffee cake and far free Snackwell cookies.) This feels different. I'm reading everything I can find about a plant-based diet.

Sorry for writing such a long post. I just want to say thank you for such a potentially life changing experience. The journey continues!

PS--The live broadcast/chat about exercise quickies was great too.

RE: Last Day Blues!
Posted Saturday, February 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Who says you have to stop the way you've been eating just because the 21 days are up? The "magic formula"? It varies somewhat depending on individual tastes and preferences, but here's mine for an example:

Breakfast: Oatmeal with cinnamon & soy milk or Vegan french toast or waffles or pancakes, or a smoothie.

Lunch & Supper: a grain, a green vegetable and a legume. (ex: rice or pasta, kale or broccoli, etc.,
red or black or pinto beans, etc.) Sometimes I treat myself to a yummy stir fry with tofu (that counts as the legume) and assorted vegetables (cabbage, brocolli, celery, carrots, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, etc.)

Snacks can be fruit, seeds & nuts, raw veggies with hummus, etc.

It's easy! Daily try to work in 2 servings of legumes, 3 of fruit, 4 vegetables, and 5 grains.

Good luck!
Jennifer

Posted Saturday, February 23, 2013 at 9:01 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH for being a part of this and for sharing your experience. I never get tired of reading people's success stories with the 21-day Kickstart. So inspiring! See you in March (and here until then!).

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 8:39 AM

If you appreciate the "community" offered here, you may also like some of the Happy Herbivore facebook groups. There are Herbie Parents, New Herbies, Senior Herbies, maybe more. I'm new to the kickstart program and am loving the additional resources and community it's providing!

Anne Haring
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial." 1 Cor 10:23

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 263 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: gingersnap

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org