21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Yes or No to Smoothies ????
Created on: 10/30/13 04:44 PM Views: 465 Replies: 2
Yes or No to Smoothies ????
Posted Wednesday, October 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM

RE: Banana papaya green smoothie
Posted Monday, October 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I have read different opinions about drinking your greens. Would love some input from Susan, etc... as to what she thinks. Some people say it spikes blood sugar and should only be considered an occasional treat and others drink them daily as a great healthy addition to a plant based diet. I love the idea of getting your greens in through a smoothie. And is it different if you use a blender versus a juicer ? I believe the juicer collects the fiber outside of the drink and the blender includes it. Thanks so much !!!!!

RE: Yes or No to Smoothies ????
Posted Wednesday, October 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I think blending is better than juicing for the reason you stated - you consume the fiber with the juice!

I think smoothies are fine on a regular basis, especially when other aspects of your diet and health are good. For example, someone with out of control diabetes may not be able to handle a smoothie.

The experience of chewing is lost when having a smoothie, which is an important part of the digestive process, therefore, if I had to pick one, I'd say EAT the whole food. But since we get to live a varied life, smoothies are fine.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: Yes or No to Smoothies ????
Posted Wednesday, October 30, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Thanks so much !!!!!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 300 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org