21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Compassion is Invincible
Created on: 02/24/13 10:31 AM Views: 1560 Replies: 5
Compassion is Invincible
Posted Sunday, February 24, 2013 at 10:31 AM

"Compassion is Invincible" is a statement I saw on another website--one with Vegan friendly items. The Herbivore Store. For me, that statement says it all. I'm not a hippie throwback to the 60's wanting to have "free love", but a big part of my reason for going vegan is to reduce my carbon footprint. I'm also a member of the Sierra Club. Certainly if I were willing to live like the Amish I'd reduce my carbon footprint, but I'm not willing to go that far. Who else is like minded?

RE: Compassion is Invincible
Posted Sunday, February 24, 2013 at 1:27 PM

dodink58 wrote:

"Compassion is Invincible" is a statement I saw on another website--one with Vegan friendly items. The Herbivore Store. For me, that statement says it all. I'm not a hippie throwback to the 60's wanting to have "free love", but a big part of my reason for going vegan is to reduce my carbon footprint. I'm also a member of the Sierra Club. Certainly if I were willing to live like the Amish I'd reduce my carbon footprint, but I'm not willing to go that far. Who else is like minded?

My son calls me a granola because I am not into "free love, sex, and rock and roll" haha.

I have long (over 22 years) been on a path to living green, treading lightly and kindly. I try to be thankful each day, do no harm in my life. I live a peaceful life and am so grateful for it.

Living this way has earned me a lot of nicknames, hippy, dippy hippy, granola, earth-on, tree hugger, greenie, herbivore, (wavy-haired, birkenstock wearin, bird sead eating....blah blah blah) you get the idea. And of course there have been many that were not kind. For those people, I get to try out the philosophy that the negative people are good teachers in our life, giving us an opportunity to extend compassion, nonjudment and the reminder that you have to "take" offense to be offended. It is all a journey and I want mine to be kind.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Monday, February 25, 2013 at 11:13 AM

like you I've become painfully aware of my carbon footprint. I try to live my life in a way that is sustainable as possible. I ride my bicycle to work, 18 miles round trip and the days I don't, I take the bus. I've been teased about my diet and my habits, but I don't mind. I'm also aware that living in Seattle, I'm surrounded by like-minded folks that think this way. So hat tip to people that live in communities that don't have farmer's markets or natural food stores or co-ops and live this way.

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I joke that I'm a hippie because I'm all about living with as little impact as possible. That is one of the big reasons I am a vegan. Its better for me, better for the animals, better for humanity, and better for the environment. How can one lose??

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I just wanted to share with all my new vegan friends this essay and to say how proud I am of you. Thank you for teaching me about this wonderful lifestyle. I feel much more connected with everything, like this is a secret pack we have all made with each other to be the best we can be and draw strength from that.

Anyway, here's the essay....

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/why-are-few-spiritual-teachers-vegan/

Edited 03/06/13 9:35 PM
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I love it!!! Way back when I was in elementary school, I was in the mind-set of "nurture and protect" our world. I got in trouble with my parents for riding my bike to go take pictures of an illegal dump site for a school project. I told them if they didn't want me to do that they'd have to drive me to places to take pictures. (I was a stubborn kid!)

Jennifer

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 448 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org