21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: how to get protein and omega fats?
Created on: 10/31/13 02:05 AM Views: 1341 Replies: 7
how to get protein and omega fats?
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Hi all and happy early Halloween Shocked hehe.

I'm happy to be here and join you all in either starting or continuing a vegan way of life.

I admit that I am very susceptible to anxiety and moods, depression...nothing severe, but I always am being told that fish is good for preventing depression, and the omega acids in fish are good for the brain, all of that. However it's not vegan, and I've never felt comfortable with the thought of having fish. What are some ways to still get those omegas? And what are good vegan protein sources, because honestly there's only so many beans a person can handle!

If I take nuts in moderation, spaced throughout the day, could this be a good source? I'm allergic to peanuts, but I can have tree nuts like almond, walnut, pecan, and coconut.

RE: how to get protein and omega fats?
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 4:11 AM

You will find protein in all plant foods, not just beans. I've always been told, and believe that if you eat enough calories you'll get enough protein. Have you ever heard of anyone, even a vegan, with a protein deficiency? Me neither.

Omega 3's can be found in flax seeds, chia seeds and hemp seeds. Flax seeds need to be ground to be best utilized.

I'm sure Susan will chime in with some other ideas for protein.

Vikki ~

Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Soy is also a good protein source. I also believe that if you eat lots of greens, they are a great protein source.

Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I second/third everything above. Protein is in everything, less so in fruit, but basically if you consume enough calories, you consume enough protein.

Secondly, I would argue there is more evidence that consuming fruits and vegetables helps combat anxiety and depression. A recent study can be found here: http://pcrm.org/health/medNews/healthful-diet-improves-mood. There is also a Harvard study that is coming out later in the medical journal Brain, Behavior, & Immunity that showed consuming fish is associated with more depression.

At any rate, omega-3s are found in abundance in foods like hemp, flax, and chia seeds. Walnuts are a good source too. If you find that fish oil has helped you, then you may want to invest in adding something like ground flax seeds to your daily diet or a vegan EPA/DHA supplement.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, November 1, 2013 at 2:00 AM

this is great news, thank you all! yes, I have heard great things about flaxseed but, I was not sure how to properly add it to foods - do I need to cook the seeds, or you mention grinding - can I use a blender? is it unable to be consumed raw?

So true - I think people worry about protein much more than necessary, especially people who are not vegetarian or vegan. And so wonderful to hear that, fish is not the only thing that helps to combat depression and moods!

Posted Friday, November 1, 2013 at 3:27 AM

I use raw ground flax seeds sprinkled on a variety of foods - salad, hot or cold cereal, stirred into soup or stew, blended into smoothies.

Vikki ~

Posted Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I just buy ground flax seed, don't grind it myself, and sprinkle some on my oatmeal every morning. If you get the golden flax seed, it blends in and you can't even see it.

Posted Monday, November 4, 2013 at 5:40 AM

I've found watching Dr Barnards videos on YouTube really helpful - for example he discusses fish oils & the fact that 15 to 30 % of the oil in fish is good v's 70 to 85 % bad & what other sources are better.

Even when he's going over things i have read already it still helps me to really absorb the info so I'd recommend it.

Good luck Smile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 643 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org