21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Other challenges
Created on: 10/31/13 09:27 AM Views: 836 Replies: 5
Other challenges
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Anyone do the October challenge? Is the menu the same?

Whats everyone's favorite meal?

Do any of you change/adjust anything? If so, what?

Love, Live, Laugh

RE: Other challenges
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 12:55 PM

we don't stick to the menus anymore (been hanging out here for about 2 years now, when the kickstart was only a few times per year) but we generally adjusted things to fit our own preferences anyhow - none of the soy products (tempeh or tofu for example) because they don't get along with me very well. Adjusted spices a bit. Often, just used the menu/recipes to get ideas of new combinations of foods and how to use new ingredients (like cooking with lentils or making hummus).

--DebR

Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I tried some of the recipes and liked them. I am having trouble with finding and having the ingredients on hand. I need to do this and I want to lose some weight.
Exclamation

Posted Saturday, November 2, 2013 at 1:03 AM

I have a few food allergies and don't like spices at all, so I've probably adjusted every recipe I've gotten here (or anywhere else) to my own tastes and needs.

It's not a strict program where you have to eat everything suggested. The menus and recipes are just that, suggestions, in my opinion.

More important is learning from the program the kinds of things that are healthy and the types of foods to avoid or eliminate.

Posted Monday, November 4, 2013 at 5:32 AM

It must be hard when things don't agree with you or you don't like things. I don't have that to contend with but I don't like following menu plans either as I like looking at recipes & choosing what appeals at the time.

I've found it hard to find a few ingredients but have made substitutions which seem to work e.g. Agave syrup for Brown Rice Syrup & fresh juice for juice concentrate - they seem to have worked.

So far best recipe has been for soup:

1 butternut squash
8 medium sized carrots
5 cloves garlic
1 tbsp canola oil
1 can reduced fat coconut milk
1 lemon (juice & rind)
Tbsp brown rice miso
Heaped tsp marmite / veggie mite / yeast extract (for B12)
Vegetable stock cube
3 or 4 handfuls of green chopped (Cavelo Nero / Spring Greens / Kale)
1/2 can beans - any (or lentils)
2 pints fortified rice milk
1.5 pints veg stock
Sea salt to taste

Clean & chop squash (skin on) & scrub & chop carrot (peel if not organic) - parboil or steam until starting to soften. Drain.
Pour into a large oven dish or tray, drizzle oil over, add garlic cloves (whole) & roast in a medium hot oven for 25 to 30 mins.
Once roasted put in pan with all other ingredients, bring to rigorous simmer then remove from heat & blend with a hand blender.

This makes a massive pot so you can freeze some too & have your lunch sorted for the week (though you'll probably want to mix it up a bit).

Eat with Zucchini bread - recipe is in the Breaking the Food Seduction book & is AMAZING!

It's really tasty, nutritious & easy to make Smile

Posted Monday, November 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM

@carlibeth: that sounds like such a great meal! Smile

And I have "Breaking the Food Seduction", so I can totally look up that bread recipe.

I'm really craving nice hearty meals like that - especially with the weather getting colder.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 320 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: gryphonpro

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org