21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Onion and Pepper Intolerance
Created on: 04/23/14 08:35 PM Views: 943 Replies: 13
Onion and Pepper Intolerance
Posted Wednesday, April 23, 2014 at 8:35 PM

So many of these recipes have lots of onions, bell peppers or other peppers. When I try to eat these--I have terrible stomach pains that can last up to 20 hours. Nothing will get rid of the pain, except time. I have had this condition since I was a child. I am not sure how to modify these recipes, especially since my husband and most of our children love onions and peppers. (We do have 2 adult children that react the way I do.) I really want to start our family on a vegan diet and my husband is very supportive. Does anyone else have this problem?

RE: Onion and Pepper Intolerance
Posted Wednesday, April 23, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Can you tolerate leeks instead of onions? For green peppers, maybe strips of zucchini, celery or grean beans.

Deborah

Posted Thursday, April 24, 2014 at 10:26 AM

do you react the same way to granulated onion as to sliced cooked onion? some people do, some are okay with the dried powders.

What about scallions, chives, garlic?

Maybe try things like lemon pepper (or do you react to black pepper as well) or curry.

The two things you want are flavor and texture. Sautéed onion and bell pepper add a bit of sweet and the peppers add a little crunchiness (not a lot but some). Other peppers are a great way to get flavor without a lot of salt or fat.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, April 24, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Sautéed or finely chopped onions or peppers cause the same reaction. I am fine with onions that are blended up and cooked for 6-8 hours. I have not been brave enough to try that with peppers yet. I can tolerate a little fresh garlic. I do use powdered onion and garlic powder and tolerate it very well. I am willing to try other veggies (zucchini or chopped cabbage) to replace sautéed or chopped onions or peppers.

Posted Thursday, April 24, 2014 at 11:02 PM

There are 3 adults at our house and I am the cook. My sister has gotten on board with a lot of the vegan dishes ,her husband thinks we have lost our minds. I make a basic dish such as spaghetti with marinara sauce and then sauté the rest in veggie broth and put it in separate dishes so everyone can 'customize " their own dish. I HATE green peppers ,but love onions. My sister is the opp. We both love mushrooms but her husband hates them . I made meatballs for him etc. It is a little harder to do but It's easier than making three totally different dishes. There is so much variety in the veggie world you don't have to eat anything you don't like or doesn't agree with you. Very Happy

Posted Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 6:50 AM

I think some people use asafoetida instead of onions.

Wash your back

Posted Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 7:51 AM

Wash your back

Posted Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this. I can relate because, my mom and I both have heartburn issues with spicy foods and the nightshade vegetables. She, unfortunately struggles more than I!

I like peppers quite a bit. like the sweet green and red peppers. but sometimes even that troubles me. What I find helps is before or after, drinking some herbal tea, or chew some mint type gum? It's hard, I have to avoid pretty much any spicy food. not a problem since I don't like it to begin with! I think there could be some simple anti-reflux medicine, even a Tums, that could help you. Best of luck!

Posted Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this. I can relate because, my mom and I both have heartburn issues with spicy foods and the nightshade vegetables. She, unfortunately struggles more than I!

I like peppers quite a bit. like the sweet green and red peppers. but sometimes even that troubles me. What I find helps is before or after, drinking some herbal tea, or chew some mint type gum? It's hard, I have to avoid pretty much any spicy food. not a problem since I don't like it to begin with! I think there could be some simple anti-reflux medicine, even a Tums, that could help you. Best of luck!

Posted Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 5:05 PM

One of my uncles used to eat onions like they were apples. Although that was more because of his poor eyesight than any love for onions.

Wash your back

Posted Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 12:48 AM

haha, at Theo: oh your poor uncle! He must have been crying buckets, and probably everyone around him mis-diagnosed him with excess depression. wow, to love onions that much!

but it's definitely better than eating too many cookies or crisps, right?

Posted Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Gastric upset/reflux is awful. I had it before I started eating plant based, and onions were the biggest culprit. I'd pop Prilosec like candy. But when I cut animal flesh and dairy from my diet, the gastric reflux disappeared completely and now I'm able to eat onions and well, everything that was a problem in the past. My lucky day I was told to ditch the milk and meat by my doc! Smile

Posted Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 9:40 AM

kittens09 wrote:

but it's definitely better than eating too many cookies or crisps, right?

The truth has landed.

Wash your back

Posted Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 3:38 PM

haha! well first @ Jo Jo - I'm really happy to hear that. Yes, who would think something like milk could trigger so many issues. Not to mention we stop producing the enzyme to break down the milk, as we get older, but I think it was Deb on here (bugsmom) who made a very good point: look around us, does any other species drink the milk of another, different species? We as humans, why are we so weird in this way!

again awesome and hope theh eart burn isn't an issue. I totally know how unpleasant it could be.

haha at Theo: Well, nothing wrong in vegan cookie / crisps every now and then. I do think eating onions like candy is a bit risque and too much. I mean, I for sure would have eyes redder than a rose. And that would make me look like, ah, a faerie tale snow-white evil queen!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 163 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org