21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Almond Milk
Created on: 01/23/12 11:37 AM Views: 6586 Replies: 17
Almond Milk
Posted Monday, January 23, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I finally found a milk alternative...almond milk and it tastes pretty good. However, each time I have drank it, I have gotten various degrees of nausea. Is it possible to be allergic?

RE: Almond Milk
Posted Monday, January 23, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I think it is possible to be allergic to anything. Do you have it by itself? With other foods? Home made? Store bought, use a different brand? Can you eat almonds? Quantity? Just things to ask yourself.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Monday, January 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Luckily there's hundreds of different types of plant milk in the shops today. Why not try oat milk. I've never heard of anyone being allergic to oat milk.

Wash your back

Posted Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I have the same feeling. I also burp after drinking any. But I want to avoid soy and coconut has too much fat.Those are the choices I have at the store. I haven't tried rice milk yet.

Posted Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Hello recluse:
You may be allergic to almonds. However, if you read the ingredients in the almond cartons, they are a bunch of unnecessary ingredients we do not need to ingest. You may be allergic to one or more of those listed. I make my own soy and almond milk in a soy milk machine. It works wonderful and you know exactly what is in it (organic almonds and filtered water). The final product is great and if you want to sweeten it, just add pure maple syrup, agave nectar or honey.

frida.oswald@gmail.com
http://food-rxforlife.blogspot.com

Posted Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Hello recluse:
You may be allergic to almonds. However, if you read the ingredients in the almond cartons, they are a bunch of unnecessary ingredients we do not need to ingest. You may be allergic to one or more of those listed. I make my own soy and almond milk in a soy milk machine. It works wonderful and you know exactly what is in it (organic almonds and filtered water). The final product is great and if you want to sweeten it, just add pure maple syrup, agave nectar or honey.

frida.oswald@gmail.com

Posted Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Hello recluse:

frida.oswald@gmail.com

Posted Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Where do you get a soy milk machine?

Posted Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I also make almond milk - but I don't use a machine.
Soak about a cup of raw almonds in water overnight - or for a few hours.
Drain the almonds and put them into a powerful blender. Add a cup of water and see it start to process. Add another 3 cups of water gradually. When it looks as pulverized as it gets, stop the blender. Place a cloth diaper (or some kind of cloth strainer) over a deep container. Pour the almond milk mixture through the cloth. When you're done, squeeze out the milk from the cloth. You can then put the almond meal back in the blender with another cup or 2 of water, and get even more milk.
I've seen some recipes for almond meal - I believe it has to be dried out first. A dehydrator would be good for this.
It's not hard to do - and is delicious!!

Posted Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Drain the almonds and put them into a powerful blender. Add a cup of water and see it start to process. Add another 3 cups of water gradually. When it looks as pulverized as it gets, stop the blender. Place a cloth diaper (or some kind of cloth strainer) over a deep container. Pour the almond milk mixture through the cloth. When you're done, squeeze out the milk from the cloth. You can then put the almond meal back in the blender with another cup or 2 of water, and get even more milk.
I've seen some recipes for almond meal - I believe it has to be dried out first. A dehydrator would be good for this.

Posted Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Thank you so much for the recipe on how to make Almond Milk. If this works for you, great. I knew of this procedure and I did it myself before I decide to buy the machine. I am not good with my hands when it comes to bake, kneading or, in this case, squeezing the ground almonds and use the strainer. Like I said I tried a couple of times and it was a total mess, my kitchen countertops were all messy, my hands, all the utensils. It took me forever and I was very frustrated. Then is when I ordered the machine.
But I have heard that this procedure you indicate works very good for most people.
Thank you again for your information and please do not hesitate to send us a few recipes for the almond meal/paste.
Best,

Frida

frida.oswald@gmail.com

I invite everyone to visit my blog and feel free to write your thoughts:

Posted Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Thank you so much for the recipe on how to make Almond Milk. If this works for you, great. I knew of this procedure and I did it myself before I decide to buy the machine. I am not good with my hands when it comes to bake, kneading or, in this case, squeezing the ground almonds and use the strainer. Like I said I tried a couple of times and it was a total mess, my kitchen countertops were all messy, my hands, all the utensils. It took me forever and I was very frustrated. Then is when I ordered the machine.
But I have heard that this procedure you indicate works very good for most people.
Thank you again for your information and please do not hesitate to send us a few recipes for the almond meal/paste.
Best,

Frida

frida.oswald@gmail.com

Posted Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Best,

Frida

frida.oswald@gmail.com

Posted Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 10:53 AM

i just saw something on Chef AJ's site (thanks to whoever posted that - I never knew about her!). She put almond butter into water and whirled in the blender to make almond milk! I don't remember the amounts, but you can find it on her shows - The Chef and the Dietician. It can't get easier than that! I just don't know if it will taste as good.

Elana's Pantry (blogger) uses only Almond flour and sometimes almond meal.

Fran

Posted Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Fran wrote:

i just saw something on Chef AJ's site (thanks to whoever posted that - I never knew about her!). She put almond butter into water and whirled in the blender to make almond milk! I don't remember the amounts, but you can find it on her shows - The Chef and the Dietician. It can't get easier than that! I just don't know if it will taste as good.

Elana's Pantry (blogger) uses only Almond flour and sometimes almond meal.

Fran

I use the almond butter method, but it does work out quite expensive.

Wash your back

Posted Sunday, February 5, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I cant see that anyone has mentioned it yet but check the label to see if the almond milk you are drinking contains Carrageenan (Irish Moss). That may be the problem rather than the Almonds. It is in the only brand of Almond milk I can buy where I live so I dont buy it. Making your own milk (as suggested) is great if you have the time.

Carrageenan is s a vegan product thats an extract from seaweed used for thickening. It can really upset stomachs/intestines for some individuals. It is reported to be a possible cause of ulcerative colitis and when degraded, may be carcinogenic.

Not all brands of non-dairy milks use this but some do - so check labels for this and all the additives. For example, I also stopped buying a partiular brand of rice milk when I realised it contained more oil than rice milk. Im trying to decrease my fats and oils so this wasnt good for me even if the taste was ok.

Good luck.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

kiwi wrote:

Carrageenan is s a vegan product thats an extract from seaweed used for thickening. It can really upset stomachs/intestines for some individuals. It is reported to be a possible cause of ulcerative colitis and when degraded, may be carcinogenic. Good luck.

I was doing some checking and it seems that it depends on how the carrageenan is processed - whether it is chemically degraded or not. If it has been chemically processed (non-food-grade) then it has definite links to digestive problems and other things. If it is basically the seaweed boiled and then the resulting gel-like-substance dried, it's not much of a problem (and you can even make it yourself at home! if, of course, you have a good source for the raw red seaweed that is used).

--Deb R

Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Fran wrote:

so, I cup of raw almonds plus water - I'd assume that you get about 32 oz of almond milk from this process (since you add 4 cups of liquid in total). Is that correct? I might go ahead and check out the cost of 1 cup of raw almonds and see how that compares to the cost of the various almond milk varieties I can buy locally. I did a quick check on amazon for raw almonds (yes, it's possible to get just about ANYTHING on amazon - for a price) and the price ranges from about $4-$8 per pound. Assuming that 1 lb = about 2 cups, that would make 64 oz of almond milk for let's say $8. The unsweetened plain almond milks come in 32 oz packages. So, it would run about the same cost either way (various brands run $3-$4 most places for one package of almond milk, unless they are on special). If I can find raw almonds cheaper, I just might try this.

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 428 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: kittens09

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org