21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Switching from Paleo to Vegan
Created on: 08/26/13 12:59 PM Views: 5061 Replies: 19
Switching from Paleo to Vegan
Posted Monday, August 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I grew up healthy on SAD foods. Then at 20 I inherited a neuromuscular disorder that caused 20 bowel movements/day. I spent the next 5 years ill and got a colostomy 3 months ago that solved the problem. While sick I switched to the paleo diet and had excellent health, but no change in the condition.

I typically eat two meals/day of quality meat with a large side of vegetables and low GI fruits. I snack on fruit, nuts, and seeds. In one week on paleo I lost 5 lbs of fat, gained 5 lbs of muscle, and my energy level doubled. Since then my weight has been stable and my energy & cognitive functions have never been better. I can go 2 days without food and remain alert and focused. The downside is that I tend to get constipated and have frequent/acidic urine from being in ketosis.

On both SAD & paleo I've had mostly excellent health- rarely sick, no allergies and no meds. However, I've always had trouble sleeping. While the paleo results are impressive, I wonder if I can get better results on vegan. I'd like to try it for 6 months, but have two concerns.

1. Do you have any issues with cognitive function? I'm the lead engineer of a small company and really need top mental performance. The high protein & 1:1 omega-3/6 fat consumption in paleo has been incredible for cognition. But I can't think well on a low protein/fat breakfast. Do you guys eat a lot of nuts and seeds for the fat/protein? Do you find that you simply need less?

2. Paleo foods are calorie-dense so you don't need large amounts. I love the idea of being able to enjoy plates of food everyday, but am concerned about the colostomy. Plant foods tend to bulk stools, and in conjunction with higher quantities of food, I'm worried about having to change the ostomy bag every 3 hrs. I usually change it 2x/day, and insurance only provides 3 bags/day. I apologize if this is TMI, but its a real concern.

All comments welcome. Thanks a lot for your time.

RE: Switching from Paleo to Vegan
Posted Monday, August 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Great questions. There are lots of plans that can lead to weight loss, but most of them do not lower the risks for chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and some cancers. The low-fat vegan diet has shown to improve health on all fronts, including getting to an ideal weight.

Interestingly, fat intake is positively associated with cognitive decline. So if that's a concern (as it should be for all of us), you would do well to avoid a "Paleo"-like diet with its excessive amounts of fat, especially saturated fat. You can read more here: http://www.pcrm.org/health/reports/dietary-guidelines-for-alzheimers-prevention.

You would be the best judge to see how it makes you feel. I highly recommend giving it a shot for just three weeks (thus the 21-day program). We're here to support you through and to answer any questions.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, August 26, 2013 at 11:49 PM

I agree, the 21-day trial would be ideal. I'll continue eating paleo for the next few weeks while I read a few vegan books. Then I'll get a blood test, go vegan for 21 days, and get a 2nd blood test. I'll compare fasting glucose, vitamins, triglycerides, etc. I'll also qualitatively compare mood and productivity. Then I'll post results and determine which diet is more optimal for me long-term. Thanks for being here as a resource. I'll certainly consult you if I have any questions.

Posted Sunday, September 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I will be starting a Whole Food Plant-Based-Diet - Study on 9/7/2013. It's a 60 day study. Pre-diet testing. I'll have an exam, blood work, weight, height. And check for inflammatory disease. At the end of the 60 days, the test will be repeated. I love fruits and veggies. Whole grains. But I must admit, it's going to be a real challenge. I certainly don't want to fail.

Posted Monday, September 2, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Do let us know how your numbers change!

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Monday, September 2, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I will update at the end. Smile

Posted Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I adopted Dr. Fuhrman's Nutritarian diet 7 days ago. Cognition & energy are comparable to paleo, and its easy to eat to satiety. The only problem is that the fiber/bulk cause the colostomy to work way too much. I'm constantly having to manage it and my intestines feel very sore. And I'm only eating 2/3 of the recommended portions.

Daily menu:
1. breakfast- 1 cup berries, 1 peach
2. lunch- 2/3 cup beans w/ veggies
3. dinner- large salad w/ nuts/seeds

I like this diet and was hoping to ultimately try raw vegan. But the colostomy just isn't up to it. I can't switch to a low-residue version because raw plant foods are naturally high-residue.

Would very much like to hear from experienced vegans on this issue. Thanks.

Posted Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 8:28 PM

You will have to see which foods you can handle and which you cannot. You may have to choose smaller portions and lower residue foods. A raw vegan diet would be tough. However, a healthful vegan diet would be totally doable.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Legumes and raw plant foods all seem to have the same effect. I'm going to try steaming the salad greens and lightly blending the beans for easier digestion.

Nuts and seeds are particularly hard to digest, because they're abrasive. I'm going to replace nuts with 2 tablespoons of grape seed oil for linolenic acid (essential O6). I'll also replace chia seeds (ALA, essential O3) with an algal DHA supplement.

That should maintain adequate protein/fat with easier digestion. Blending/steaming should also allow more caloric intake. I'm a little underweight.

Posted Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Johnny87 wrote:

The only problem is that the fiber/bulk cause the colostomy to work way too much. I'm constantly having to manage it and my intestines feel very sore. And I'm only eating 2/3 of the recommended portions.

Would very much like to hear from experienced vegans on this issue. Thanks.

Hi Johnny,

It's great that you're trying a plant-based diet. Perhaps your situation is improved now, but...

When you say "too much", how often are you talking about? I have an ileostomy and even with a large amount of plant-based foods, I empty my pouch on average 5-7 times a day, which is normal. I would expect a colostomy pouch to be empties less than that per day.

I'm quite heavy on legumes, often consuming two cans a day + a large salad as part of my dinner.

I have been writing about my experiences on my blog.

Visit my blog to find out how I live with an ostomy while maintaining a vegan lifestyle. Tips, reviews and food Smile

www.veganostomy.ca

Posted Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 10:24 PM

what about "Wheat Belly", "Grain Brain"?? I'm afraid to eat grains
any thoughts??
thanks

any thoughts??
thanks

any thoughts??
thanks

any thoughts??
thanks

any thoughts??
thanks

any thoughts??
thanks

any thoughts??
thanks[url]

any thoughts??
thanks[url]

any thoughts??
thanks[url]

Posted Monday, August 11, 2014 at 5:18 PM

märkesklockor

Edited 08/11/14 5:21 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 93 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: Susan Levin, zohaa3492

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org