21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Help with Nutritional info
Created on: 06/05/13 11:57 AM Views: 2046 Replies: 10
Help with Nutritional info
Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Hey Everyone! I hope this Kickstart is finding you happy, healthy and enjoying this gorgeous spring.

I need a little help or maybe pointed in the right direction. I am not doing the kickstart this month I am actually going to be doing a raw fruit & vegetable only diet for 30 days starting next week. Kind of like a hard reset. I need to get back to where I was and cut out the crap. I have a lot of food allergies and in tolerances and have realized how I overlook them to eat quickly or because it pleases someone else etc.

So what I really need is to find out what amounts of calcium, protein, etc that I need on a daily basis. Every site I have been to is totally different and I have no clue who is right and who isn't.

I normally don't even think about these kinds of things because I do eat nuts, seeds. grains, etc, but since I am taking it to the very basic I want to make sure I do it right.

Any suggestions?

Edited 06/05/13 11:58 AM
RE: Help with Nutritional info
Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 1:07 PM

The IOM is considered the authority on nutrient needs. You can find all the recommendations in this one handy document: http://www.iom.edu/Activities/Nutrition/SummaryDRIs/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/Nutrition/DRIs/5_Summary%20Table%20Tables%201-4.pdf.

Read the small print underneath each table to understand the differences between EARs, RDAs, etc.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Thank you so very much Susan! I really appreciate it.

Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM

But of course! Thanks for contributing your valuable insights to the program!

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 1:22 PM

This program is the most incredible experience. I think there would be a lot more people eating a plant based diet if they new to come here first. I have sent so many people this way after they have become frustrated by cookbook authors, sites, and videos on the web.
I know for me, it was the source that took me to the place I needed to be after deciding to become vegan. It made it all come together.

Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Wow. Super nice. Thank you so much!

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Friday, June 7, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Hi, Susan-Could you please tell me your opinion about chia seeds, inc. if the are preferable to ground flax and/or hemp? Thank you very much!

Posted Friday, June 7, 2013 at 6:15 AM

Sure! Chia seeds are undoubtedly nutritious. I wouldn't say they are preferable over flax or hemp seeds (anymore than blueberries are better than oranges). Chia, like flax, is extremely high in omega-3 and is a good source of fiber. Hemp is high in protein and has about half the omega-3 as chia/flax but still a good source. If you've had these seeds before, I'm sure you've noticed how much they vary in texture. So your personal preference may favor one over another.

They all have a welcome place in a healthful diet!

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Friday, June 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Thanks so much, Susan! I'm very grateful for your support-as noted by other kickstarters (who I also appreciate), we're lucky to have great help! For this and in appreciation of the many positive things PCRM does, I decided to became a member of PCRM this week Razz

Posted Friday, June 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM

That's awfully kind of you!! Thank you for the sweet words and for becoming an inspiring member.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Friday, June 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I've been signing PCRM petitions since learning about the organization-PCRM is remarkably in sync w/ my dissertation on ecopsychology, though I completed it in 2004 and neglected to address the food industry.....live and learn! Today is my 16th day of veganism (was vegetarian most my life)--down 7 pounds (while enjoying mostly whole/unprocessed foods and organic fair trade chocolate) and, more importantly, cont. greater peace for living in accordance w/ my values!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 285 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org