21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: what to do about the chocolate cravings
Created on: 06/05/13 03:50 PM Views: 1364 Replies: 5
what to do about the chocolate cravings
Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 3:50 PM

This is what always trips me up on my vegan diet. I have been vegan since February but once and I while I just can't resist chocolate. And if I have it once then I'm stuck having it every day again. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this craving for good?

RE: what to do about the chocolate cravings
Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM

There is such a thing as vegan chocolate. I enjoy dark chocolate rather than milk chocolate.
Jen

Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Yeah, I allow myself a little bit of dark vegan chocolate in some form whenever I want it rather than build it up as a 'forbidden fruit' and end up grabbing the first thing I can find (which is likely to not be vegan and probably loaded with all sorts of yucky stuff). I'll make myself some REAL hot cocoa (yes, even in summer) using raw cocoa powder, raw sugar, and plant milk. Or, we'll make chocolate banana smoothies with plant milk, cocoa, liquid sweet (maple syrup, dark raw agave, etc), and banana (and sometimes frozen strawberries to make it even frothier and more like a banana split!) Ghirardelli semi sweet chocolate bits (regular-gold bag- and mini - silver bag-) don't contain any dairy (many dark chocolates contain milk fat, these don't). I'll grab a tablespoonful as a snack in lieu of a candy bar (which is usually bigger). I also make homemade granola that includes cocoa nibs - those are straight nothing added chocolate so they add a nice bitter crunch to the dried fruit and oats in the granola.

Also, sometimes, a kosher dill pickle or corn tortillas with black beans and salsa can nip a chocolate craving (something about the saltiness satisfies the sweet desire, go figure)

--DebR

Posted Sunday, June 9, 2013 at 7:41 PM

The best thing to eliminate cravings for chocolate is to go 3 weeks without having any.

Another thing that works for me is: once a day stir together 1 teaspoon or tablespoon of Hershey's cocoa powder and the same amount of sugar or raw sugar. Then add just enough water to make it a little watery and keep stirring. That's just enough to satisfy the chocolate craving and its limited to a small amount of sugar and calories/day, and I am good for the rest of the day. And what's nice about it is its portable. No need for a refrigerator.

Posted Sunday, June 16, 2013 at 1:27 PM

You can take dried figs and shake them in a bag with dark cocoa powder and eat those! The natural sweetness of the fig comes in a close race with truffles! Enjoy!

Edited 06/16/13 1:28 PM
Posted Sunday, June 16, 2013 at 1:27 PM

You can take dried figs and shake them in a bag with dark cocoa powder and eat those! The natural sweetness of the fig comes in a close race with truffles! Enjoy!

Edited 06/16/13 1:29 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 702 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org