Created on: 03/15/12 03:41 PM Views: 5446 Replies: 18
Calories Out
Posted Thursday, March 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Wash your back

Edited 07/29/12 12:44 PM
RE: Calories Out
Posted Thursday, March 15, 2012 at 9:23 PM

T

I am so pleased to read this post (I've missed you, it has been quite around here!). I am pleased to hear about the positive calorie out for plant-based diets, but I am most pleased you are never, ever wrong. See, I suffer from a bit of low self esteem and you have said some quite kind things about me, so since you are never, ever wrong, they must be true. Very Happy

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, March 16, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Of all the things I may have suspected about you, being a lover of grafitti was not one of them. Good to know. A nice photo would be good.

Vikki ~

Posted Friday, March 16, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Oceandog wrote:

T

I am so pleased to read this post (I've missed you, it has been quite around here!).

Thanks for your kind words, Oceandog. Although I'm a little puzzled, because I've posted messages every day this week. Haven't you seen them ?? This forum is so weird recently. Like see how Wild4Stars was the last person to post on this thread (03/16/12 - 15:01), but the forum overview currently says "Last Post - Oceandog 03/15/12 9:23 - Re: Calories Out"

Oceandog wrote:

I am pleased to hear about the positive calorie out for plant-based diets, but I am most pleased you are never, ever wrong. See, I suffer from a bit of low self esteem and you have said some quite kind things about me, so since you are never, ever wrong, they must be true. Very Happy

Oh, trust me Oceandog, I'm never wrong. You have my word about that.

You've got no excuse to have low self esteem, by the way. Unless you're on the Low Self Esteem Plant-Based diet. Is that the diet you're on ??

Wash your back

Posted Friday, March 16, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Wash your back

Edited 07/31/12 6:40 AM
Posted Friday, March 16, 2012 at 7:55 PM

theodore wrote:

Thanks for your kind words, Oceandog. Although I'm a little puzzled, because I've posted messages every day this week. Haven't you seen them ??

You've got no excuse to have low self esteem, by the way. Unless you're on the Low Self Esteem Plant-Based diet. Is that the diet you're on ??

I typically chime in on whatever topic you are on, so I do answer the ones I see.

I am not currently on the Low Self Esteem Plant-Based diet, it sounds like it would not be a good match to my way of thinking. I feel much better about things now that I follow my own beliefs and listen less to others comments! Smile

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, March 16, 2012 at 7:55 PM

theodore wrote:

Thanks for your kind words, Oceandog. Although I'm a little puzzled, because I've posted messages every day this week. Haven't you seen them ??

I typically chime in on whatever topic you are on, so I do answer the ones I see.

I am not currently on the Low Self Esteem Plant-Based diet, it sounds like it would not be a good match to my way of thinking. I feel much better about things now that I follow my own beliefs and listen less to others comments! Smile

Posted Friday, March 16, 2012 at 7:56 PM

theodore wrote:

PS (sure glad you changed the subject, looked like you and Vicki were headed to a dark place...NOT)

Posted Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Wash your back

Edited 07/31/12 5:23 AM
Posted Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Theodore,

Very thoughtful, this last post. It makes sense and I can truly see you have given this some thought.

I haven't tried to gain weight since I was a teenager, but my best friend struggles with it. You are most correct, she can eat whole foods, dried fruit etc without gain. But the oils will make her gain and not in a good way and she mostly doesn't feel well with that gain.

Thanks for the insight on this! Philosopher you are, my friend!

Posted Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Finally I'm taken seriously.

Thankyou Ms Dog.

Wash your back

Posted Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 11:10 AM

theodore wrote:

Finally I'm taken seriously.

Thankyou Ms Dog.

In this case, I would say most definitely!

Posted Monday, March 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Oceandog wrote:

Theodore,

Very thoughtful, this last post. It makes sense and I can truly see you have given this some thought.

I haven't tried to gain weight since I was a teenager, but my best friend struggles with it. You are most correct, she can eat whole foods, dried fruit etc without gain. But the oils will make her gain and not in a good way and she mostly doesn't feel well with that gain.

Thanks for the insight on this! Philosopher you are, my friend!

Nuts are my downfall - I'll pack on pounds fast even if I'm eating just a handful of raw or dry roasted (no added oil or salt) type nuts in a day. I really love them - it was easier to drop cheese than it is to lose the pecans, cashews, peanuts, almonds...

Hubby tried making PB this weekend. He got a little too much oil in it so it got quite 'soupy' - in the fridge it firmed a little but still very soft. So, it's going to be "watered down" so to speak into a nice peanut sauce for a stir fry later this week. That way it will be just a small amount per serving unlike a PB sandwich. However, he was REALLY happy that the blender could handle it. We may be on our way to just making our own PB (hubby likes PB on his oatmeal in the morning, along with raisins).

--Deb R

Edited 03/19/12 8:33 AM
Posted Monday, March 19, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

Nuts are my downfall - I'll pack on pounds fast even if I'm eating just a handful of raw or dry roasted (no added oil or salt) type nuts in a day. I really love them - it was easier to drop cheese than it is to lose the pecans, cashews, peanuts, almonds...

Hubby tried making PB this weekend. He got a little too much oil in it so it got quite 'soupy' - in the fridge it firmed a little but still very soft. So, it's going to be "watered down" so to speak into a nice peanut sauce for a stir fry later this week. That way it will be just a small amount per serving unlike a PB sandwich. However, he was REALLY happy that the blender could handle it. We may be on our way to just making our own PB (hubby likes PB on his oatmeal in the morning, along with raisins).

--Deb R

What about bread. Do you put on weight eating bread ?

Wash your back

Edited 03/19/12 3:56 PM
Posted Monday, March 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM

theodore wrote:

Bugsmom wrote:

--Deb R

What about bread. Do you put on weight eating bread ?

Don't eat a lot of loaf type bread - we'll make tortillas or bagels from home ground whole wheat fairly frequently but we don't purchase grocery store loaves - we'll make it at home or, on rare occasions (maybe 3 or 4 times per year), we'll purchase some from a local bakery that grinds their wheat fresh daily to make their fresh loaves. So, it's rarely an issue. Tortillas and bagels don't seem to affect my weight any (unless, of course, I overdo them and the filling or toppings) Plus, if I do eat bread, I am careful about how much because it can/will spike my glucose level (whereas nuts are relatively 'safer' as far as glucose levels short term are concerned)

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

Don't eat a lot of loaf type bread - we'll make tortillas or bagels from home ground whole wheat fairly frequently but we don't purchase grocery store loaves - we'll make it at home or, on rare occasions (maybe 3 or 4 times per year), we'll purchase some from a local bakery that grinds their wheat fresh daily to make their fresh loaves. So, it's rarely an issue. Tortillas and bagels don't seem to affect my weight any (unless, of course, I overdo them and the filling or toppings) Plus, if I do eat bread, I am careful about how much because it can/will spike my glucose level (whereas nuts are relatively 'safer' as far as glucose levels short term are concerned)

Deb

What about the dried fruits ??

Wash your back

Posted Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at 1:40 PM

theodore wrote:

What about the dried fruits ??

Have to watch those because of the glucose spikes - tasty, concentrated carbs in dried fruits. Breads and dried fruits I watch because of blood sugar but nuts don't cause spikes (for me) which made them my go-to snack when I needed to grab something quick/on the go. But, they pack on the pounds pretty quickly too. I used to do small bits of dried fruit mixed with the nuts figuring the protein, fats, fiber would help with the carb side of the dried fruit but that wasn't a good option it turned out. I do still sometimes add a sprinkle of raisins to oatmeal or something like that but I have to watch it.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

Have to watch those because of the glucose spikes - tasty, concentrated carbs in dried fruits. Breads and dried fruits I watch because of blood sugar but nuts don't cause spikes (for me) which made them my go-to snack when I needed to grab something quick/on the go. But, they pack on the pounds pretty quickly too. I used to do small bits of dried fruit mixed with the nuts figuring the protein, fats, fiber would help with the carb side of the dried fruit but that wasn't a good option it turned out. I do still sometimes add a sprinkle of raisins to oatmeal or something like that but I have to watch it.

--Deb R

So I guess we'll never know if dried fruits cause you to gain weight.

Wash your back

Posted Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at 3:16 PM

theodore wrote:

Bugsmom wrote:

--Deb R

So I guess we'll never know if dried fruits cause you to gain weight.

Well, we -could- if I ate just a handful of them per day but I'd be risking the glucose spikes - I'll just skip the nuts AND dried fruits (most of the time).

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 240 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org