21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Motivators
Created on: 06/04/13 10:58 PM Views: 1878 Replies: 11
Motivators
Posted Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Good evening, vegans!
I think it would be fun and inspiring to read why others are doing the Kickstart. I'll go first.

I have been vegan since the September 2011 Kickstart and was vegetarian since January 1993. For this Kickstart, my goals are to eliminate processed foods -- I don't eat a lot but do eat some -- and daily exercise. I love being vegan and want to be a cleaner vegan!

What's motivating you?

RE: Motivators
Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Great reasons!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Day 14 of veganism, inspired by wish to Do No Harm, inc. to myself! I feel more at peace, broadly speaking, am more alert, and have lost 6 pounds! I'm never hungry between meals and have found giving up dairy to be quite easy Very Happy

On a different note, I often am not able to open PCRM's sites, thus miss the helpful info--is this happening to others, too?

Moreover, I'd like to hear others' thoughts about chia seeds

Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Hopefully the website issue is resolved. For the past two days we have been having technical difficulties with all of our sites. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM

What a great thread! My motivation is driven from inside knowing that I am in control of a greater me and a compassionate existence. The way I feel when I eat vegan has made me become more in tune with myself and the world around me. It has made me really enjoy growing my own garden and cooking. I feel a lot more open to life and all the good that comes with it.

Posted Thursday, June 6, 2013 at 2:20 AM

[quote="sfgreydog"]Good evening, vegans!
For this Kickstart, my goals are to eliminate processed foods -- I don't eat a lot but do eat some -- and daily exercise. I love being vegan and want to be a cleaner vegan!

quote]

Hi,

I have just got Chef AJ's book "Unprocessed". It has her story in the front but over half of the book is what seems to be some really good recipes. I am going to start trying these over the next few weeks. I have done the kick-start several times and still check into the forum every now and again to keep me on track. While I am now mostly vegan - I have the occasional slip - I too want to get rid of processed foods as much as possible so I am about to start her 30 day challenge.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Thursday, June 6, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Hi Kiwi,
I've read that book -- it's good, with many great recipes. Last year I did the October Unprocessed challenge and eliminated (and have kept off) a lot of processed foods, the most important category being fake meats (which I used to eat a fair amount of) and anything with soy lethicin. It's a great companion to the Kickstart, with lots of resources and info, recipes, community support, etc. Not vegan or even vegetarian but very easy to make it so.

Here's the link: http://www.eatingrules.com/october-unprocessed-2012.

Posted Thursday, June 6, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Thanks sfgreydog

I will check this out. My weight has gone up recently and I think the processed soy meat replacement products are a big part of it as I have gone back to eating more of those over the past couple of months. That and eating some rubbish foods mostly at work as there is usually something on offer. I'm also near menopause so my body is not metabolising the calories as rapidly = spare tyre (fat) especially around the tummy. Still its never too late to make a change. I have the information, now I just need to do it.

I found a neat quote yesterday in the unprocessed book that you would have read but others may like

"You really only have two choices in life. You either commit to doing something or commit to your excuses about why you can't do something" Michael Russo.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 06/06/13 3:03 PM
Posted Thursday, June 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Hi Kiwi,
Love the quote -- so true and so simple!

Giving up the processed soy (and other) fake meats has been very good for me. Slightly difficult at first but now most taste and have the consistency of sawdust. I feel cleaner --and have less around the middle Smile To keep on track, I've also read "Salt, Sugar, Fat" recently and highly recommend it. Extremely well written look at the processed foods industry -- and the U.S. government policies -- that have hijacked diets over the past 50, 60 years.

Posted Thursday, June 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM

sfgreydog wrote:

I've also read "Salt, Sugar, Fat" recently and highly recommend it. Extremely well written look at the processed foods industry -- and the U.S. government policies -- that have hijacked diets over the past 50, 60 years.

Sounds like a book I would enjoy. Who is the author?

Posted Friday, June 7, 2013 at 1:15 AM

It's by investigative reporter Mchael Moss, the man who first raised awareness of "pink slime." Here's a link to his book on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Salt-Sugar-Fat-Giants-Hooked/dp/1400069807/ref=sr_1_2?s=textbooks-trade-in&ie=UTF8&qid=1370581559&sr=1-2&keywords=salt+sugar+fat

I got it as an audiobook through Audible,com and listened to much if it twice while walking. There is so much information in this book! The packaged foods industry has a lot of parallels and very close ties with the tobacco industry.

Sfgreydog

Edited 06/07/13 1:23 AM
Posted Friday, June 7, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Also recommend Breaking the Food Seduction by PCRM's Dr. Barnard Laughing

Edited 06/07/13 1:22 AM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 105 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org