21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Chicken verses veggie broth
Created on: 02/27/13 03:10 PM Views: 2191 Replies: 12
Chicken verses veggie broth
Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Hi I just started the kickstart program and I was wondering since the organic chicken broth that I have has no Cholesterol..which means no animal product..why can't I just use that..it's so much easier to find. Question

RE: Chicken verses veggie broth
Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I guess the idea is no animal products. What you eat on the end is your choice Smile

Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I'm curious from a nutritional point of view....

Confused

Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 4:45 PM

If it's truly made from chickens it has cholesterol. It may have so little that the FDA says it can claim it has none, but all animal products have cholesterol. It does nothing to promote health. Nothing that comes from an animal promotes health.

Vikki ~

Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Veggie stock is just as easy to find in most places - in some form. It's usually right next to the chicken and beef, either in containers as a liquid or in solid cube form. For that matter, it's so easy to just make it yourself at home and freeze it that it's not worth the price (and the higher sodium content). When you're prepping veggies (carrots, onions, taters, beets, etc) take those parings and bits and throw them in a ziplock and freeze them. When you've got a good bagful of ends, peels, and tops, throw them in a big pot with several cups of water and a pinch of salt, maybe some garlic, some fresh onion and let it simmer for up to several hours - you can even use a slow cooker and just let it simmer all day on low. Strain out the wilty solids and you've got your own stock made to your own liking (for instance, we don't put celery tops in ours because hubby finds they make the stock a little too bitter). Beet greens, carrot tops/peels, potato peels, onion ends (the part that's too small to cut any further), chard stems (if we haven't already used them in a stir fry or something), etc all go right into the pot.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 5:01 PM

A broth which I love to use is called "No-Chicken Broth" by Imagine Natural Creations. I get it at Whole Foods but it's likely available elsewhere. It's organic and gluten free. I like to use it to cook wild rice in rather than using water. Gives it a fantastic flavor!

Posted Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Pacific Foods makes a terrifc no salt veggie broth. It is in a quart size aseptic container. Making veggie broth home-made is pretty easy,also.

Edited 02/27/13 5:45 PM
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 3:23 AM

[quote="Bugsmom"]Veggie stock is just as easy to find in most places - in some form.

Not here - in most local stores I only find beef or chicken stock. Veggie is much harder, if not impossible to find.

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM

slt wrote:

[quote="Bugsmom"]Veggie stock is just as easy to find in most places - in some form.

Not here - in most local stores I only find beef or chicken stock. Veggie is much harder, if not impossible to find.

Seriously? have you asked at the customer service desk of the grocery store - sometimes it's not with the soups, but is in a separate location. And sometimes they will start to stock it if asked. Where in the world are you? Smile
--DebR

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Seriously? have you asked at the customer service desk of the grocery store - sometimes it's not with the soups, but is in a separate location. And sometimes they will start to stock it if asked. Where in the world are you? Smile
--DebR[/quote]

I haven't tried asking at the service desk. It's a good idea. I was only trying to say that almost every time I try one of the big supermarkets, they have a dozen brands of beef and chicken, and most of the time, no vegetable. When I find it, I stock up.

It just always surprises me that they don't stock it in the supermarkets as vegan and vegetarian diets are becoming so much more common. There is a specialty natural foods store that I'm sure must carry it, but it is harder for me to get there during their open hours.

So, I guess I shouldn't have said impossible. Just much harder to find where I usually shop.

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Shelf space is at a premium in most places, so they stock what sells - and what people request and buy. For that matter, if you've got a "dollar store" type place or even a WalMart, they often stock it - just did a quick search on WalMart's website and they have a bunch of veg stock - some even unsalted, some all natural, etc - fairly inexpensively (12 pack of Kitchen Basics aseptic packs for $13)

But, if it's that hard to find, making it yourself is even more worth it. All those scraps and bits of the veggies you're prepping anyhow, some aromatics (onion, garlic), a pinch of salt and a pot of water. Can be done stove top on a weekend day while you're doing housework or even during the day in a slow cooker on low if you're out of the house. Make a big pot once a month and refrigerate some, freeze the rest.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Shelf space is at a premium in most places, so they stock what sells - and what people request and buy. For that matter, if you've got a "dollar store" type place or even a WalMart, they often stock it - just did a quick search on WalMart's website and they have a bunch of veg stock - some even unsalted, some all natural, etc - fairly inexpensively (12 pack of Kitchen Basics aseptic packs for $13)

But, if it's that hard to find, making it yourself is even more worth it. All those scraps and bits of the veggies you're prepping anyhow, some aromatics (onion, garlic), a pinch of salt and a pot of water. Can be done stove top on a weekend day while you're doing housework or even during the day in a slow cooker on low if you're out of the house. Make a big pot once a month and refrigerate some, freeze the rest.

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

--DebR

Yup, I had asked a question in the "Free Easy Organic Sodium-Free Veggie Broth" thread. I've never made home made broth but it sounded like an interesting idea.

And WalMart is one of the places that I have looked for and usually can't find veggie broth. Never thought to look at their website though, just on the shelf : )

Thanks for the suggestions.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 80 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org