21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: napa cabbage and lighter bake
Created on: 08/11/12 11:23 PM Views: 3947 Replies: 10
napa cabbage and lighter bake
Posted Saturday, August 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I bought a head of Napa Cabbage for a recipe in The Starch Solution. Have most of the head of Napa Cabbage left. I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for it.

Also, have seen many recipes using Sunsweet Lighter Bake. Anyone know which stores in the Houston area carry it?

Thanks,
Deborah

RE: napa cabbage and lighter bake
Posted Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 4:07 AM

I use it instead of bok choy/broccoli in Fast Lane Chow Mein that is listed at www.NutritionMD.ORG/recipes. I imagin you could also use it for the green cabbage. It was on the menu of the 1st 21-day kickstart that I did in 2010.
I would also think you could chop it up and add to a lettuce salad.
Hope this helps

Posted Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I really like napa cabbage in a stir-fry. I use what ever I have on hand, but carrot, shitake mushroom, red bell pepper strips, basil leaves, garlic, ginger, shallots & tofu make a good combination with it. First, I stir-fry the tofu, then take it out of the pan. Then I add the garlic, ginger & shallots, then the veggies in a little peanut oil, then at the end add a sauce made of soy sauce, red curry paste, the water the dried mushrooms were soaked in, and a tiny squeeze of agave. Then I add the tofu back in and the basil leaves.

I also use it in a miso soup with lots of veggies. Sometimes I pour the soup on top of cooked soba noodles to make it more of a meal.

Good luck!

Posted Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM

marcia and catbear, thank you for the suggestions! I don't know why I was stumped. I cook with lots of different vegetables but had never used Napa cabbage before. It is thinner, so wilted faster in the McDougall Thai Green Curry Rice that I made. It was a good recipe but not as spicey as I thought it would be (Sriracha to the rescue Very Happy ) Will try the suggestions.

Deborah

Posted Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Sorry that it posted three times. I don't know why... Shocked Embarassed

Edited 08/12/12 9:00 PM
Posted Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM

My husband found Napa Cabbage and I'm thrilled with it. It is light, not bitter, easy on the stomach, and I use it in our veg/fruit smoothies. It's delicious. And, I had nothing to store it in the last time we bought it, so I wrapped the head in aluminum foil, hoping I could get a few days out of it. Much to my shock and delight, that was 4 weeks ago, and as I pull leaves off it each week, in the amount that I need, the stuff is still as fresh as the day we bought it. What a surprise!

Posted Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Got rid of two of them! I guess I must have pushed a wrong button?

Edited 08/12/12 9:01 PM
Posted Monday, August 13, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Lauren1213,

That's nice to know about the storage and shelf life. I hate it when produce wilts quickly. I feel very wasteful when something goes bad before I use it up and at the prices we pay now.

Posted Monday, August 13, 2012 at 9:20 AM

we've used napa in slaw as well as stir fry and it works great

--Deb R

Posted Monday, August 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM

deborahjm,

That's for sure. We're paying close to $6.00 a head for it here, so I wanted to get all I could from it, so am happy we are. My Kale went bad in a few days. I was disappointed by that.
Sad

Posted Monday, August 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Wow, that's high. I think I paid about $2. I think some stores sell produce that's been around a while, which is why we bring it home and it goes bad fast. I got to the store more often instead of buying for meals too far ahead now.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 1555 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org