21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Bread mixes
Created on: 02/10/14 11:26 AM Views: 448 Replies: 4
Bread mixes
Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Have you found a bread mix that is whole grain, vegan or not, without the additives? Or a like kind recipe that can be used in a bread machine?

RE: Bread mixes
Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Irisheyes51 wrote:

Have you found a bread mix that is whole grain, vegan or not, without the additives? Or a like kind recipe that can be used in a bread machine?

There are LOTS of good recipes for bread machines that aren't mixes and don't have additives. I googled "vegan bread machine recipes whole wheat" and got literally 7 million+ hits. The top ones were sites I recognized as having good recipes. Some were even related to cookbooks for bread machines that include vegan recipes. For that matter, a basic whole wheat bread in the bread machine is vegan to start with - flour, yeast, water, salt, sugar (or other sweetener for the yeast to eat on - agave works and is mild flavored, there are other options as well) and oil.

If you want to make bread and use the bread machine, invest the $ in a bread machine cookbook and/or invest the time to bookmark some websites that you like.

--DebR

Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Thanks Deb. Yes, I have already found a gazillion recipes, but was looking for one or two that someone had tried and really liked. As far as the mixes, so many whole grain ones have sugar as an ingredient. Again, was looking for ones that someone has tried and liked. I should have made that clearer in my post.

Posted Tuesday, February 11, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Some form of sugar is necessary for any yeast-based product - that's what those little yeasties munch on to give off the gases that cause rising. We often use agave as a neutral flavored sugar for yeast products. Maple syrup would work as well but it would change the flavor - which works great for some, not so great for others.

Our favorite bread book is the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book - not bread machine specific, though it is possible to use the recipes in bread machines (I think it gives information on how to adapt things). Also, most bread machines come with their own little pamphlet of recipes that are optimized for that machine. We killed our bread machine through use and realized that it's just as easy to make it ourselves - though we don't end up with fresh hot bread first thing in the morning as you can with a bread machine that handles the baking overnight. Our current favorite is actually a hybridized recipe - it's actually bagel dough but instead of the broil/boil/bake process of bagels (yummy) we put a pan of boiling water in the oven and just bake them and they come out with the chewy insides of a bagel but with more of a bread-like crust. They are wonderful hearty bases for things like grilled portabellas or black bean burgers.
I think the basic recipe we use for breads is from the Laurel's Kitchen book but I think the red and white Better Homes and Gardens book has a decent recipe as well.
The main difference between most bread machine recipes and 'regular' recipes is the order of the ingredients. For a bread machine, the dry stuff (like flour) goes in, then the yeast goes into a little 'well' and then the liquids go in last, it's all layered specifically. Some recipes do call for things like milk or butter but plant milk and margarine (vegan type) would also work.

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, February 11, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Yummmm, the grilled portabella on bun makes my mouth water. I love making them panini style in my griller. I'll check out the books. Thanks!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 266 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org