21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Vitamin
Created on: 06/07/13 07:49 PM Views: 1054 Replies: 7
Vitamix
Posted Friday, June 7, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I just purchased a refurbished Vitamix-does anyone have any quick/easy recipe suggestions? Thanks Smile

Edited 06/07/13 7:50 PM
RE: Vitamin
Posted Friday, June 7, 2013 at 8:45 PM

By all means, do the hummus! Did it come with a cookbook?
I mean the Vitamix cookbook? Incredibly simple. We love this machine!

Edited 06/07/13 8:49 PM
Posted Friday, June 7, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Thanks for your response! I bought the Live Fresh book, tho wish for others' experiences w/ the recipes--just found one for hummus w/ the following ingredients: chickpeas, raw sesame seeds, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and cumin--is this the one you like? Have you ever tried adding other vegetables, such as red pepper? Thank you againSmile

Posted Friday, June 7, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Yes, we've left out the oil, added only 1 tablespoon sesame seeds to their recipe and don't use cumin.
I've concocted a red pepper hummus with the following:1 15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed, 1 whole roasted red pepper (used Del Destino brand from Costco, the peppers are quite large) 3 cloves garlic ( we like garlic a lot!), juice of half a lemon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 Tablespoon raw sesame seeds.

Just put everything in the container and blend 'til smooth. Enjoy!
Doubles nicely - my family of five really loves it!

Edited 06/07/13 9:08 PM
Posted Friday, June 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Your recipe suggestions sound great--thanks so much (I'm a garlic lover, too)! I really appreciate the help--I know SO little about cooking Confused Do you happen to have any recommendations re. any Asian peanut/tahini/ginger type dressings or easy soups?

Posted Monday, June 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I also have a vitamix and love it. There are recipes at their site on line and I have made many of the soups ( I change them when needed to make vegan) also I make frozen desserts with fresh fruits which are always a hit with company. But I must admit that hummus is my all time favourite and have converted a lot of people, when going out I'm usually asked to bring my hummus. Have to be careful I don't put too much garlic in when going out though because I also love garlic. I also use the red peppers from Costco to make a red pepper kind and sun dried tomatoes are also good to add.

Posted Monday, June 10, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Glad to hear the soups turn out well--being able to heat in the Vitamax was a key selling point for me, tho I've yet to try that function! Do you have any favorite recipes that don't require any cooking before adding ingredients to the Vitamix?

Posted Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM

http://pinterest.com/clbger/vitamix-soups/

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 190 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org