21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: raised triglyceride level?
Created on: 08/09/12 03:06 PM Views: 6589 Replies: 11
raised triglyceride level?
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Hello I am a 29 year old male I have been on a plant perfect diet for 40 days now. I went last week for a cholesterol check and it seems my total number is 160 which is great but for some reason my triglycerides jumped from 104 to 280. This makes me very worried for my health. Every morning I have 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup grape nuts, flax seed, chia seed, wheat germ, some raisins and a banana with almond milk. For lunch everyday I have a large salad with kale, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoe, cucumber, and I make the dressing with 2 tbsb balsamic with a little maple syrup and dijon mustard also either a half of a yam or a bean burger with some ezekiel bread. For dinner I usually either have either a meatless stir fry which is brown rice with alot of veggies or I have some type of soup again with some ezekiel bread. And for snacks I make my own hummus with beans and garlic and I eat that with these pretzles I found which contain no oil. I think I have been eating too many of the pretzles which contain wheat four which to my knowledge is just as bad as white bread. Also note that 2 days before my lipid test I had a bunch of red wine with my girlfriend, could this have effected my results? What do you think is causing my high Triglyceride level? Any help would be great! Thank you.

RE: raised triglyceride level?
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2012 at 3:19 PM

There may be a couple of reasons that your triglycerides are going up. One is consuming refined carbohydrates, like the pretzels. So as much as you can replace refined flour foods with whole grains, like oats, barley, and rice, the better. Caloric beverages, including alcohol, can really raise triglycerides. So you absolutely may want to consider doing another test without having had any alcohol. Sweets in general should be avoided as well if you are trying to get triglycerides into a normal/healthy range. You obviously have the diet working for you in a lot of ways, and I'm sure you can hone it to get this number in check too.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, August 9, 2012 at 4:37 PM

thank you so much for the help.

Posted Thursday, August 9, 2012 at 6:54 PM

one more quick question. I have not had any of the pretzles, maple syrup, or alchohol since this Tuesday night. If I get a lipids test Friday morning will that be too soon to see better results?

Posted Thursday, August 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I would wait a few weeks at least. Unless you have access to free TG tests!

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Thursday, August 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I dont have to pay for my lipids test its all covered by my insurance. I figure it wont hurt to get that test on Friday in case the first test was faulty. I can always ask for another in a month from then if I need to wait longer. Do you think thats a good idea?

Posted Friday, August 10, 2012 at 5:07 AM

It could possibly confirm whether it was a faulty go around the first time. So if you are up for it, and insurance really covers back-to-back lipid panels, go for it!

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Saturday, August 11, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I did that test on Friday and it showed my triglycerides were 113 which is great compared to the 280 that it showed a week before, but for some reason my LDL went up from 76 to 109. Im not sure how that is possible when I dont eat any cholesterol at all. Any thoughts?

Posted Saturday, August 11, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Yea on the TGs! Your LDLs are in a range of what is considered "near optimal" so don't fret. Wait until you do another panel so you can check in on the trend rather than the day to day (or even week to week changes).

Saturated fat intake (from any source) actually has way more of an influence on your cholesterol levels than dietary cholesterol. Surprising but true. So watch your intake of fats even if they are plant sources.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Edited 08/11/12 8:30 AM
Posted Saturday, August 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Susan

I seem to recall you saying in the past that being in the process of loosing weight itself can cause high triglycerides / high cholesterol readings. Because of all the body fat that is melting into the blood stream or something. Did I remember that right ?

Wash your back

Posted Monday, August 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I love this forum.

Wash your back

Posted Wednesday, November 21, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Hi!
Triglycerides are raised when excessive sugars and carbohydrates are consumed, so you will need to minimize these foods if you can not eliminate them completely. Stay away from sodas and other sugary drinks, and choose water instead. Add a lemon, lime, or orange slice for flavor if plain water is unappealing.
You should read this article:
http://www.healtharticles101.com/triglyceride-diet-plan-how-to-create-optimal-menu/
Be Healthy!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 434 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org