21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: what am I doing wrong?
Created on: 04/17/13 06:55 AM Views: 1630 Replies: 3
what am I doing wrong?
Posted Wednesday, April 17, 2013 at 6:55 AM

I have been trying to become plant strong. I have eliminated animal products, love the food, have no problem coming up with something to eat. I am also gluten free and have been for years, so usually don't eat processed stuff much anyway. BUT, unlike everyone else, I do NOT feel great/lighter/amazing/more energetic. I am constipated, bloated, and have heartburn for the first time in my life. I WANT to stay committed to this way of eating, but I am totally miserable. What am I doing wrong???

RE: what am I doing wrong?
Posted Wednesday, April 17, 2013 at 7:05 AM

It's not unusual at first to have some digestive glitches as your system changes over. But, you can back off the beans and high fiber a bit if you're not used to them right away. There are many threads from previous kickstarts discussing the issue (use the Search to find bloating or constipation or whatever). Easing back on fiber, getting plenty of water, and getting moving physically a bit (a brisk walk, for example) can help get things moving. It can take a couple weeks to clear out the 'backlog' so hang in there.
--DebR

Posted Friday, April 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I think I know how you feel Zachyboopser. I am on vegan diet for 3 months now and yes at first I felt a little bit more energetic, little bit more positive and I was loosing weight. Now however past few weeks I feel tired maybe even edgy. I am on minipill so it is not hormones and I do take vegan supplement. I am 34 years old, 70 pounds overweight and I exercise daily 30-40 minutes on rotoped or walking briskly. I do vary my exercise routine and my food.

It would be interesting to see what do you eat? Here is my typical day:
Breakfast: large bowl of oatmeal made with water, half cup of frozen berries, chopped apple and maple syrup, soya protein powder or any form of protein. OR can of baked beans with few tablespoons of brown rice followed by cup of brown rice and some stewed plums with cinnamon and raisins. I found that I need large portion of carbohydrates and protein in order to be satisfied.
Snack: fruit
Lunch: Soup made with sweet potato, cup of black beans, brown rice noodles, root veg, broccoli, sweetcorn. OR salad, 2 wholemeal wraps spread with home made fat free hummus, cup of black beans, brown rice, mushrooms and peas.
Snack: pretzels, fruit, black bean brownie
Dinner: Roasted vegetables with 2 vegan sausages (6 Grams fat)or a vegan burger (8 Grams fat). OR spring rolls made from rice paper, salad and rice noodles and dipped in sweet chilly sauce. Desert is ice cream made from frozen banana. I like to keep dinner light and low protein so I can sleep better.
I keep alcohol to maximum of 1 bottle of wine every fortnight. I drink plenty of water and fruit tea, no coffee.

All my portions are large, I don't feel hungry or deprived. However I find it hard to keep it fat free (I have dark chocolate sometimes too) and my energy levels are really low lately.

I think with time my body adapted to large fiber intake and I don't feel bloated as much but I get this feeling of heaviness.

If someone can spot what I could change I would like to hear from you Smile

Hana

Edited 04/19/13 5:32 PM
Posted Friday, April 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Hana wrote:

I think I know how you feel Zachyboopser. I am on vegan diet for 3 months now and yes at first I felt a little bit more energetic, little bit more positive and I was loosing weight. Now however past few weeks I feel tired maybe even edgy. I am on minipill so it is not hormones and I do take vegan supplement. I am 34 years old, 70 pounds overweight and I exercise daily 30-40 minutes on rotoped or walking briskly. I do vary my exercise routine and my food.

It would be interesting to see what do you eat? Here is my typical day:
Breakfast: large bowl of oatmeal made with water, half cup of frozen berries, chopped apple and maple syrup, soya protein powder or any form of protein. OR can of baked beans with few tablespoons of brown rice followed by cup of brown rice and some stewed plums with cinnamon and raisins. I found that I need large portion of carbohydrates and protein in order to be satisfied.
Snack: fruit
Lunch: Soup made with sweet potato, cup of black beans, brown rice noodles, root veg, broccoli, sweetcorn. OR 2 wholemeal wraps spread with home made fat free hummus, cup of black beans, brown rice, mushrooms and peas.
Snack: pretzels, fruit, black bean brownie
Dinner: Roasted vegetables with 2 vegan sausages (6 Grams fat)or a vegan burger (8 Grams fat). OR spring rolls made from rice paper, salad and rice noodles and dipped in sweet chilly sauce. Desert is ice cream made from frozen banana. I like to keep dinner light and low protein so I can sleep better.
I keep alcohol to maximum of 1 bottle of wine every fortnight. I drink plenty of water and fruit tea, no coffee.

All my portions are large, I don't feel hungry or deprived. However I find it hard to keep it fat free (I have dark chocolate sometimes too) and my energy levels are really low lately.

I think with time my body adapted to large fiber intake and I don't feel bloated as much but I get this feeling of heaviness.

If someone can spot what I could change I would like to hear from you Smile

Hana

I'm not seeing much in the way of green leafies except the maybe salad. You do have lots of grains/starches in there. When you first started, if you were following the kickstart pretty closely, there were probably a lot more greens and other non-starchy veggies and fruits in the mix. I know that if I start flipping over to more starches (whole grains and root veggies), my weight loss slows and I do tend to feel a bit 'heavier' in general (even if the weight is the same. I have to consciously look for ways to add more 'light' veggies (the non-starchy stuff). For me, winter is a time of root veggies and grains, warm, hearty, comforting. But, that's also when I tend to not lose much, if any, weight as well unless I'm very conscious of what I'm doing and deliberately add other things, whether it's making sure to add a salad to both lunch and dinner every day or putting some of the kale/chard/spinach recipes back on the menu (quinoa, chickpeas and wilted greens with a bit of onion, garlic, soy sauce or other seasoning is delicious but I tend to forget it in the winter).

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 202 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org