21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Hungry!
Created on: 01/09/13 10:45 PM Views: 1817 Replies: 11
Hungry!
Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I started earlier than January 1st and today is my 13th day of vegan eating! Recently though I have been extremely hungry. I'm not sure what I should be eating instead of what I am or what will help me feel more full. I have eaten meat alternatives (I know I should switch to less processed foods like beans, tofu, maybe tempeh) but I am not yet ready for that in my transition. Nuts sometimes help calm my hunger pangs, but recently I have been more hungry than I was the first week. Any suggestions? Thanks!

RE: Hungry!
Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Very Happy Newbie alert lol yep I'm new also but it seems to work very well when I add a fair amount of bulky grain... brown rice, barley, quinoa etc I love to make rice bowls. bottom layer of brown rice, layer of beans of any kind then layer on the veggies. I have been well before I got sick this week I have been using my food processor and dicing, slicing etc a huge roasting pan of veggies, toss with various spices of your choosing. Then I roast them and put in container. Between a big container of rice and the veggies I have fast food all week. rice and veggies, veggie loaded potato, pasta and veggies, wraps etc all ready to make. If I use the rice with lots of veggies and some beans I don't get hungry. On the rare times I do, grab and apple or other fruit. I think I remmber a section in the book about filing foods - try browsing it for some ideas?

Now I just can't wait to feel better so I can feel hungry again and eat more veggies Smile

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Feeling hungry? Eat more. Smile

Load up with more low fat plants - add a snack between meals (carrot and celery sticks with hummus for example), add a piece of fruit to your lunch, throw a quick tossed salad next to dinner, have some popcorn in the evening (sprinkle a little nutritional yeast on in lieu of butter and salt, or a dash of chili powder or cinnamon, experiment and find what you really like). Have another serving of the entree du jour - I often use the rule of diminishing returns (lol) - full portion the first serving, half that for the second serving, half of the second serving for thirds and so on, gradually decreasing the amount of each serving until I'm satisfied.

Tip I picked up from one of the prior kickstarts - toss a cup of popcorn kernels (or less if it's just for you) into a plain brown paper bag. Into th microwave for a couple minutes (pay close attention to the popping sounds or use the Popcorn setting if your microwave has one). Voila, air popped popcorn without another kitchen gadget to store. We've done it and it's come out great.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 9:31 AM

When I'm extra hungry I usually make a bowl of oatmeal or grab an apple. Fruit is a quick go to snack, and very satiating.

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Just a thought....boredom can be mistaken for hunger. That has happened to me. I would want to eat, eat, eat...felt that no matter what I ate I couldn't feel full. Bottom line was that I was bored. When I found something to immerse myself in, I didn't think about food any more.

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM

kandoo wrote:

Just a thought....boredom can be mistaken for hunger. That has happened to me. I would want to eat, eat, eat...felt that no matter what I ate I couldn't feel full. Bottom line was that I was bored. When I found something to immerse myself in, I didn't think about food any more.

That's an excellent point. I fall into the boredom trap too.

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Jodie wrote:

kandoo wrote:

That's an excellent point. I fall into the boredom trap too.

And, sometimes, it's thirst, oddly enough. If I feel like I've actually had enough food but then feel hungry, I'll have a glass of water (or a cup of herbal tea if it's chilly). Sometimes, that does it by adding hydration. Other times, still hungry, so I'll look for something small to eat (an apple, a banana, a handful of homemade granola, etc). Then I'll wait at least 30 minutes to let that sort itself. If I'm still hungry, then I'll look for something more substantial. Along the way, I'll also consider what I've eaten through the day and see if I'm missing something that might be the trigger for the hungry feeling - not enough calories overall, not enough fruit, veggies, grains, whatever...and I'll try to hit that area.
--DebR

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I was going to write this in today also! I can't have much fruit as it quicly raises my blood sugar. however, fruits higher in fiber (apples, bananas) not only add the bulk but don't have the quick blood sugar rise (oranges, berries and grapes for me must be paired with something that slows the blood sugars).
I also found that my "goto" meal for a very hungry day is something with tofu. For me, it fills me up for a longer period or time more than any of the high fiber grains. In a pinch, I use Amy's Tofu Scramble for breakfast or the Meatloaf lunch.
Howver, I agree witht hte other comments and before eating at all, I meaure my blood sugar to see that I'm not hungry because it's low, I take a quick break to either walk or read, grab a drink and if still hungry, I eat.

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM

megmcm wrote:

Howver, I agree witht hte other comments and before eating at all, I meaure my blood sugar to see that I'm not hungry because it's low, I take a quick break to either walk or read, grab a drink and if still hungry, I eat.

Low and high blood sugar can both cause feelings of hunger. Low is easy (relatively) to treat - eat something. Highs are a different matter - you can feel hungry with high blood sugar but eating only exacerbates the issue. So, as you noted, checking first is a good idea for those dealing with blood sugar issues.
--DebR

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I've been Type 1 for 34 years so I test 4-6 times a day. I rarely get hungry when high and instead start to feel nauseous. Low, my body is calling out for food. But, as we've talked about other things may also seem like my body is calling out for food Wink

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Like others have suggested, add more starches in. They are high in fiber and complex carbohydrates to keep you full and low in fat naturally. Try brown rice, beans, grains, potatoes, etc. They are also loaded with nutrients including protein!

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I haven't been hungry, at least at home, since I've changed to this way of eating a year ago since I don't have to measure amounts or count calories or carbs or whatever, I just eat as much as I want of the right foods.

It's when I'm out or at work and haven't planned ahead to bring enough food of something that I will still eat that I run into problems. But that's just my poor planning.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 475 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org