21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Wholefood Plant-Based Whole Foods
Created on: 07/11/14 06:06 AM Views: 639 Replies: 9
Wholefood Plant-Based Whole Foods
Posted Friday, July 11, 2014 at 6:06 AM

Dear All

We hear a lot about oil in the wholefood plant-based movement. Oil is not a whole food by any stretch of the imagination, hence very low micro-nutrient content and, perhaps most importantly, no fiber. And this is before we even get to the ethical issues. However, I notice there are some other foods which have also been stripped of (most if not all of) their fibre (and micro-nutrients) which nevertheless feature pretty heavily in whole-food plant-based recipes. I'm not saying these foods are evil. But then again I'm not saying that they're not evil. In other words, what I'm not saying is that they're evil or not evil. But I have a hunch that they may be sabotaging some people's health or weightloss, so I thought I would list them here:

Arrow Sugar
Arrow Syrups
Arrow Fruit Juice
Arrow Fruit Juice Concentrates
Arrow Fake Meats
Arrow Soy Milk
Arrow Tofu (yes unfortunately tofu is basically just coagulated soy milk, so most of the fibre has been removed)
Arrow Coconut Milk
Arrow Rice Milk
Arrow Oat Milk
Arrow Quinoa Milk
Arrow Spelt Milk
Arrow Buckwheat Milk
Arrow Millet Milk
Arrow Amaranth Milk
Arrow Lentil Milk
Arrow Potato Milk
Arrow You get the idea

Of course I don't claim to avoid all those foods all of the time. Some of them don't even exist, so it would be literally impossible to avoid them. But most of them do exist. And when I avoid them, I always get results.

If a recipe calls for milk, I simply take some nut butter and blend it with water (and maybe some dried fruit if sweetness is needed). That way it has all the original fiber (albeit in a slightly less robust form) along with the vitamins and minerals. I can even do that at work by simply mixing it together with a spoon.

Also, avocados. They're a whole food, but it's only modern transport that makes them available all over the world all year round. I always advise my clients: "only eat avocados in your country's avocado season." Of course some of my clients ask me why I, an accountant, am giving them advice about nutrition. The thing is there's really no rule that says accountants can't give out nutritional advice. Not in the accountancy regulations anyway. There's probably something about it in the dietetic regulations, but I'm an accountant, not a dietician.

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on that list ?

Wash your back

RE: Wholefood Plant-Based Whole Foods
Posted Friday, July 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Great points....thanks for taking the time to share.

I start a lot of community gardens. I love doing it.

In my opinion and experience, one should eat plants grown locally because the environmental stresses help the plant produce the proper nutrients to combat those stressors for those creatures living in that environment.

In other words, tomatoes grown in your own backyard produce the best nutrient cocktail for you. Those tomatoes grown in Peru are good for the Peruvians but may not deliver the environmental protection for those that live in California.

And plants grown in hothouses or artificially don't offer anything to anyone because there is no stress on the plants....leaving us with no nutrient protection.

This is my opinion based on my own experiences. Hopefully some research will be done on this, rather than research on how we can manipulate plants gene's to try to produce cheap food.

Edited 07/11/14 11:40 AM
Posted Friday, July 11, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Splendid points Anita. I totally agree. I think another example is how plant foods from tropical climates (eg. coconuts, cocoa beans, palm fruits etc.) are much higher in saturated fat than plant foods in the temperate regions. Saturated fats are liquid at hot temperatures but solid at cool temperatures, and it wouldn't surprise me if this translated into different physiological effects when high sat fat tropical foods are eaten in colder countries.

Wash your back

Posted Friday, July 11, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Wash your back

Posted Friday, July 11, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Wash your back

Posted Friday, July 11, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Wash your back

Posted Friday, July 11, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Wash your back

Posted Friday, July 11, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Wash your back

Posted Saturday, July 12, 2014 at 3:51 PM

One other aspect that I've learned and actually had to eat my words about in recent years is that, within the realm of wholefoods, the more coarsely ground/blended the food is the better. Because the coarser it is the more effective its fibre will be.

So say a person had eliminated all non-wholefood (ie refined) items from their diet and they were still experiencing problems, they may see improvements by working up the ladder from the finely ground form of the foods to the intact form. Hence: choosing stoneground flour products instead of machine ground flour products. And if that doesn't work, choosing sprouted grain flour products instead of stoneground flour products. Then if necessary, choosing cous-cous instead of flour products. Then wheat berries instead of cous-cous. Similarly, working up the ladder from smooth almond butter (or high-speed blended almonds) to chunky almond butter (or low-speed blended almonds) to ground almonds to chopped or flaked almonds. High-speed-blended fruit » low-speed-blended fruit » whole fruit etc.

I learnt this specifically from the writings of Jeff Novick RD, Dr McDougall, Dr Esselstyn, Dr Fuhrman and Dr Goldhamer.

Wash your back

Edited 07/13/14 9:33 AM
Posted Sunday, July 27, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Dr Shintani on stone ground flour vs machine ground:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05k2NX2ArJ8

Wash your back

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 123 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org