21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Crave
Created on: 10/02/13 07:42 PM Views: 1404 Replies: 7
Crave
Posted Wednesday, October 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM

This is my second go at the 21 day kickstart. In between the two times I have pretty much remained vegetarian. Added some cheese and once in a while some eggs. So since I started I never feel satisfied. I see butter and want to pick it up and eat the stick! So I assume I am not getting enough fats. At this point I am starting to wonder if I'm supposed to be vegan. I want to remain vegan or vegetarian so would love some advice. Thanks!!!

RE: Crave
Posted Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I would say, eat more fat if you feel like that is what you need. I am all for listening to your body. Nuts, nut butters, coconut oil, avocado.

Posted Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I find that as the weather gets cooler, I want more fats in my system and if I give myself that little extra (avocado, nut butters, etc.) I do much better than if I try to avoid them because then I'll grab whatever I see. In northern climates, I think the body tends to want to add a bit of fat to make it through the winter, even though we don't need to hibernate or worry so much about running out of food before spring anymore.
Aim to consciously and deliberately add small amounts of veg-based fats like nut butters, avocado, coconut oil, and the like. That way you don't go grabbing the first block of cheese you see.
--DebR

Posted Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Oh, also, sometimes when I want something like that it's not so much the fat per se as it is looking for that creamy mouth-feel, or sometimes the saltiness. Things that help with the creamy are avocado, nut butter, and a cashew-butter based nacho cheese type sauce (we use it for nachos, queso dip, mac & cheese, alfredo - leave out the roasted peppers to get a white alfredo ish sauce).

Or, I'll go in a different direction and make myself a smoothie with almond milk, strawberries, banana, and raw cocoa powder (and a wee bit of agave or maple syrup for sweetness)

Or, if it's actually saltiness, I'll have crackers and hummus or something similar - salty and creamy.

And, too, I've found that I start craving chocolate if I'm actually a little under-hydrated. Weird but often enough to take note of. So, I'll get myself a nice cup of tea first and then, if I still want chocolate, I'll have a small scoop (about a tablespoon ish) of vegan chocolate chips.

--DebR

Edited 10/03/13 12:00 PM
Posted Friday, October 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I wonder if the issue might be needing more calories.

For example, if you're eating a large amount of greens (which is super-healthy), that will be filling in the short-term because of bulk, but greens are usually low in calories.

So of course you'll want to keep eating lots of greens, but maybe if you also eat enough higher-calorie foods during the day like grains and fruits, etc, that might help.

I'm not an expert at all, but I've found this approach helpful for myself.

Posted Tuesday, November 5, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Hello

I was just wondering if you got anywhere with this?

Did adding creamy items help OR was it upping your grains?

I've not been hungry so far BUT I made a Madhur Jaffrey mushroom & red pepper curry last night but was so disheartened when I ate it as it was missing the richness that ghee brings Sad It was light & full of flavour but almost too clean tasting. I made enough for tonight's dinner too but added Adkins beans. When I served it I had a sinking feeling BUT. Luckily leaving it over night to build more flavour, adding beans & eating with Roti made a BIG difference. But the fact is I do crave creaminess - I'll definitely use the tips above Smile

Posted Tuesday, November 5, 2013 at 6:42 PM

@carlibeth: I've heard that for making creamy sauces and dressings, it can help to blend in soaked cashews (and blending till smooth).

I haven't tried making any creamy cashew-based sauces yet, but I have seen lots of recipes out there. The cashews would increase the fat content of the recipe, but I imagine these types of recipes could be satisfying (even if they're used in moderation).

Just a thought Smile

Posted Wednesday, November 6, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Thanks sarathetraveller - I think nut / cashew butter is a really good way forward for me Smile

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 511 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org