21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: [Sticky] WELCOME Kickstarters!
Created on: 03/27/12 04:15 PM Views: 21179 Replies: 77
RE: WELCOME Kickstarters!
Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Unfortunately, I signed up for the April kickstart but I'm not in a position to really follow it closely right now Embarassed . I have a lot going on with looking for work and gearing up to move back to the US this summer. I also don't have much control right now over my food preparation and a lot of temptations that I normally don't have around me. So I'm going to do my very best to stay at least vegan and as low fat as I can manage for the few meals I do have control over. But it's not going to be like I like it to be.

However, I'll be all settled back in the States definitely by September when the next kickstart begins. I bought the kickstart book so I can have at least something with me. I plan on joining in September fully and completely. By that time, I'll be on my own without the temptations around me and will have complete control over what I buy and what I cook and I'll also be able to exercise with some regularity. So I'm looking forward to it!

Djuna

Posted Wednesday, April 4, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I haven't found going vegan to be that difficult. I went dairy free for a while last year, and I felt great afterwards. Then I went vegetarian toward the beginning of this year and had the same feeling. I'm thinking that just getting rid of both will leave an even greater feeling. There are just a couple issues for me. One is that I miss cottage cheese, Greek yogurt (especially Chobani), and of course, eggs. The second is that I've had a distaste for most legumes (except peanuts, black and pinto beans). That made going vegan difficult because I had to get rid of a good protein source I love for one that I didn't like so much. My goal by the end of this kickstart is to like beans. I know I'll stay vegan if I can just get this one resolved. I admit, it has gotten a little better.

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Hello ALL,

This is my third time around but the 3rd times a charm. I plan to make this not just a 21 day deal but a deal of a lifetime. I pray God bless me to accomplish this goal of a lifetime. My health is very important to me and I know this life style change is the answer for me.

I felt so good the first time around and had energy I haven’t had in years. Thank you all for putting together I program I can actually do and feel good doing it. I’m looking forward to the new me. Keep me in your prayers because I love and crave all the wrong foods and drinks BUT this time I’m going to beat it – I’m a WINNER at life and I’m going to feel and look GREAT the Vegan way.

We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. Be blessed! ?

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 8:28 AM

knightrider wrote:

I haven't found going vegan to be that difficult. I went dairy free for a while last year, and I felt great afterwards. Then I went vegetarian toward the beginning of this year and had the same feeling. I'm thinking that just getting rid of both will leave an even greater feeling. There are just a couple issues for me. One is that I miss cottage cheese, Greek yogurt (especially Chobani), and of course, eggs. The second is that I've had a distaste for most legumes (except peanuts, black and pinto beans). That made going vegan difficult because I had to get rid of a good protein source I love for one that I didn't like so much. My goal by the end of this kickstart is to like beans. I know I'll stay vegan if I can just get this one resolved. I admit, it has gotten a little better.

First thing I would do is to learn to make beans from scratch - the texture and flavor is quite different than canned. Also, black beans and pintos are plenty - can be used in so many ways that you don't necessarily need to go too much further afield. You say you dislike all legumes - have you tried all the varieties and cooking/preparing methods? For example, regular lentils are okay-ish but red lentils made into a hearty soup are awesome! Or, when cooked and mixed with brown rice and a leafy green (like chard) and some onion and garlic - yummy! Red lentils tend to break down and become almost creamy in texture. On the other hand, some people prefer the french lentils and such which retain a bit more 'toothsomeness' to them. As far as black beans, we cook them up in quantity (about a lb at a time) and use them almost daily - cold, they go on salads; warmed they are tex-mex (chili, burritos, etc) or mixed into rice and vegetables or soups or pasta (cooked and crumbled black beans make a nice ground meat like texture in pasta sauces and such). If you'd consider trying them, garbanzos (chickpeas) are the basis for hummus and hummus is yum (never thought I'd say that!)

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM

i've also been using white beans/cannelini beans a lot. i put a pound in a pot to soak while i'm at work. i come back 9 hours later, rinse the water off, and let it simmer for the next couple hours (rinsing a couple of times to get rid of all those yucky gas-causing carbohydrates). i like using these to make hummus (less chalky to me). and the flavor isn't as strong so my kids don't complain if i add them to noodles, rice, etc.

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

Brittlecap wrote:
As a recent Vegan, I had trouble liking it at first. The one thing I need to have still is pizza. Living in New York State, I just cant imagine a pizza without cheese, so I tried Daiya mozz, it sucked, really industrial, gooey, biproducty taste, but some places where I didn't put it on too thickly, it was tolerable, good even. So I just cut way back on it, to like a third. I can even eat pizza without cheese, but it's not pizza then, it's tomato bread, so now I get about 3 large sized pizzas out of a single Daiya package, and it's pretty delicious. Hope that helps if you have the pizza problem.

This may sound like sacrilege but I've found that if I don't have the tomato sauce on a pizza I don't need the mozz. Spread a nice layer of the roasted red pepper hummus (kickstart recipe) on the crust and then add veggies. Note that it's hard but not impossible to find this sort of thing commercially - we only make our own pizza so we know it's vegan, whole grain, and so on. If you're making your own, be sure to cook the crust first THEN add toppings and pop it back in again otherwise the crust gets soggy. There is a pizza chain here in CT (not sure how widespread it is) whose founder is lactose intolerant so they make a cheeseless pizza that is reportedly really tasty. And once the cheese is off, assuming no sausage or anything, it's VEGAN. Tomato sauce, veggies, a good hearty crust - yeah that's pizza. For that matter, check out what the Italians consider 'pizza' compared to what we do to it here in the US - very different (more like bruschetta than the overloaded gooey stuff we have).

--Deb R

Most of the smaller pizza places (aka NOT Pizza Hut, Dominos, etc.) will do a pesto sauce. I have found that a lot of them have great cheese-free pesto options. There is so much flavor and moisture from these that I don't miss the cheese. With tomato sauce the flavor, moisture, etc. seems to be off without cheese. But with a different base--pesto, hummus, etc. -- then some great veggies on top, the pizza feels complete! (and yummy!)

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

knightrider wrote:

First thing I would do is to learn to make beans from scratch - the texture and flavor is quite different than canned. Also, black beans and pintos are plenty - can be used in so many ways that you don't necessarily need to go too much further afield. You say you dislike all legumes - have you tried all the varieties and cooking/preparing methods? For example, regular lentils are okay-ish but red lentils made into a hearty soup are awesome! Or, when cooked and mixed with brown rice and a leafy green (like chard) and some onion and garlic - yummy! Red lentils tend to break down and become almost creamy in texture. On the other hand, some people prefer the french lentils and such which retain a bit more 'toothsomeness' to them. As far as black beans, we cook them up in quantity (about a lb at a time) and use them almost daily - cold, they go on salads; warmed they are tex-mex (chili, burritos, etc) or mixed into rice and vegetables or soups or pasta (cooked and crumbled black beans make a nice ground meat like texture in pasta sauces and such). If you'd consider trying them, garbanzos (chickpeas) are the basis for hummus and hummus is yum (never thought I'd say that!)

--Deb R

I am making beans from scratch, and I've tried them is so many different ways. Lentils are the biggest problem for me. No matter what they are in or how they are cooked, it leaves a certain taste and smell to the entire meal. It's getting a little better like I said. This is after 20 years of only eating legumes as chili and baked beans for the most part.

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM

knightrider wrote:

I had trouble with beans, too. I didn't like them at all, in anything. I wouldn't eat baked beans, chili, refried beans, none of it. Now I eat them all the time. I find a good, homemade, mixed-bean chili to be a good way to get used to other types of beans. It was just a matter of time for me, honestly. I had to suck it up and make myself eat them, even though I wasn't so keen on them at first. Now I can't really imagine a day without them.

I would suggest that you keep trying different recipes, different flavors with the beans, and give yourself some time! I will be honest, I do eat far more black beans than I do other types, but I do make a point to get other beans into my diet now and then.

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I've had a busy week and a slow start this time around, too. I'm still vegan, but love the menu's, the forum and planning for one with leftovers. Next week I will be on program and be on the forum more often.

Posted Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 11:39 PM

clarelan wrote:

Most of the smaller pizza places (aka NOT Pizza Hut, Dominos, etc.) will do a pesto sauce. I have found that a lot of them have great cheese-free pesto options. There is so much flavor and moisture from these that I don't miss the cheese. With tomato sauce the flavor, moisture, etc. seems to be off without cheese. But with a different base--pesto, hummus, etc. -- then some great veggies on top, the pizza feels complete! (and yummy!)

I agree with what you guys said, but there aren't any pizza places doing cheese free pesto here, and (like Deb said) my Dad's Mom is from near Napoli, and she practically does veg pizza, well did anyway, with just a sprinkling of parm though. So mom(Veg) copies it, with nutritional yeast. They both sprinkle oil on top before it goes in the oven, I think the oil does help cook up the tomatoes a bit hotter in the oven or something, plus it helps keep things crispy. I know I was kind of negative before about it, but really it's perfectly fine for me. I think I'm going to get some fresh fava beans this year to experiment on making a proper veg pie. Sorry Deb, Clare, but hummus belongs on a pita!

Posted Friday, April 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I'm trying to stay away from wheat because of an allergy and was hoping I could substitute Quinoa flour for the whole wheat flour in tomorrow's pancake recipe.

Has anyone tried to use a different type of flour in this recipe?

Posted Saturday, April 7, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Red, Why not! I think that's a good idea, I haven't tried to make pancakes without some sort of egg substitution before, and the protein from the Quinoa should help keep things together. I make pancakes a lot using some type of emulsifier to hold things together better, since I use a cast iron griddle. I don't use the spray either for that reason as well. The only other flour I've tried is buckwheat, it works the same as wheat as far as I've noticed. I do have Quinoa flour in the cupboard that I've never used for anything, so I may try it tomorrow as well!

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Yuck, that did not work at all. Luckily I started out with a really small batch. It's possible the fats went rancid too. I saw on the package it was supposed to be kept refrigerated, it was not. I'll stick to buckwheat or whole wheat.

Posted Sunday, April 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Hi everyone -

This is my second time with the kickstart - I considered myself a 90%er the first time. Now it's all on! I am an advanced practice nurse in cardiology and just completed my plant based nutrition certification from eCornell - great program! I cannot believe the patients that were willing, able and did convert to a vegan lifestyle after I shared the benefits with them. I am so encouraged when I see their lab results before and after! I get so excited with them. Imagine that- An improvement in risk and health with NO DRUGS! That's the way I want to live, I believe that is true for most. Not losing much weight as of yet - but religious to the diet. I don't have that much to lose, however, but cannot wait to see where I am after 2 more weeks. Love reading the discussions!

Posted Monday, April 9, 2012 at 2:54 PM

If I miss a day checking in with the email you send, how do I see the links that the old email had? Right now, when I click on previous email links, it takes me to the current day. Question

2 minutes later: I just figured it out! Saw the link on the email. Duh Laughing

Edited 04/09/12 2:56 PM
Posted Tuesday, June 26, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Hi Susan ~
My cousin and I found this site after watching forks over knives and decided we would want to try to go vegan for health purposes (heart disease runs rampant in our family). Is it better to wait until you organize the next kickstart or should we just try following the program as it is here on the site?
thanks for the advise.
Kat

Posted Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I think the next kickstart isn't until September (usually around Labor Day is the kickoff) so I'd say start now, while you're motivated. There are still folks here to help you out if you need it and this is a GREAT time of year to find lots of fresh fruits and veggies less expensively than in January.

Welcome!

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Brittlecap wrote:

Red, Why not! I think that's a good idea, I haven't tried to make pancakes without some sort of egg substitution before, and the protein from the Quinoa should help keep things together. I make pancakes a lot using some type of emulsifier to hold things together better, since I use a cast iron griddle. I don't use the spray either for that reason as well. The only other flour I've tried is buckwheat, it works the same as wheat as far as I've noticed. I do have Quinoa flour in the cupboard that I've never used for anything, so I may try it tomorrow as well!

We make pancakes without eggs or dairy with no problem, just whole wheat flour, buckwheat flour, water, and a little oil. I'm not sure of the proportions and all (hubby is the household chef) but they work just fine, light and fluffy. We started doing that a while back (before kickstart) when we simply ran out of eggs one day and wanted pancakes. Applesauce is also a good sub in pancakes - who doesn't like apple pancakes with a little splash of cinnamon and nutmeg and a nice REAL dark maple syrup drizzle?
--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 435 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org