21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: soft foods and low in sugar
Created on: 07/12/14 08:46 PM Views: 248 Replies: 2
soft foods and low in sugar
Posted Saturday, July 12, 2014 at 8:46 PM

I'd been trying to put this off, but finally i got my wisdom teeth taken out. they were impacted and really affecting my jaw / causing pain.

This just a few days ago, but the pain and need for soft foods will persist for at least 1-2 weeks, according to the dentist.

I'd like to know what are some non-sugary soft foods, or at least things that are not so sweet, that i could have. most people recommend pudding, jello (obviously this isn't vegan!) ice cremes and yogurts, applesauce.

Could I have potatoes and scoop out the insides, have it mashed? Regular, small, sweet/yams? I know a lot of people say potatoes are so bad but, they are surely better than cake/cookies!

I also wasn't sure about beans. I thought they were a good idea but apparently they are still really high in sugars and starch.

RE: soft foods and low in sugar
Posted Saturday, July 12, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Potatoes of all sorts would be great and well tolerated. Mashed beans are very healthful. You could even puree vegetables such as squash and carrots. Apple sauce and other cooked/stewed fruits. Basically, all the same healthful foods we would recommend only cooked a lot longer!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: soft foods and low in sugar
Posted Sunday, July 13, 2014 at 10:40 AM

What about vegan soups? They are low in sugar, soft, and there are many styles of soup -- creamy, chunky, clear broth -- from which to choose. Home made soups made from butternut squash, mushrooms, lentils or beans, potatoes, mixed vegetables, etc. are the best because you know exactly what you've put into them. If you don't feel up to chopping a lot of fresh vegetables, look for a bag of pre-chopped vegetable soup mix in the frozen foods section of your grocery store. Ready to eat prepared soups may be high in salt, so please read their labels at the grocery store.

email

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 364 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org