21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Texas Mayor Reverses Prostate Cancer w/ WFPB Die
Created on: 07/11/14 07:53 PM Views: 873 Replies: 15
Texas Mayor Reverses Prostate Cancer w/ WFPB Die
Posted Friday, July 11, 2014 at 7:53 PM

http://wnow.worldnow.com/story/25960139/texas-mayor-shares-secrets-of-his-vegan-town-with-oklahoma

Wash your back

RE: Texas Mayor
Posted Saturday, July 12, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I feel like an alien from a different planet when I go through the check out counter at the grocery store sometimes. I am the only one who is thin and I look around and see a gallon of regular milk and lots of junk food and meat and high fat foods in other people's carts. Where I live I don't know anyone who eats WFPB. And when I drive around I see signs for Burger Bashes and Fish Fries.
Starting this fall myself and another WFPB eater who lives in an adjoining neighborhood, are going to meet once/month at the local library. We are going to advertise this in the local newspaper. Just a place where you can go and be accepted for your WFPB decision.
The group in Texas sounds similar. Wouldn't it be nice if many other people decided to meet once/month and advertise so others could join them? I love connecting with others on-line but I would like to know some WFPB eaters in person, wouldn't you? Someone I wouldn't have to drive 50 miles to meet. Any comments?

Posted Saturday, July 12, 2014 at 6:15 PM

I can't say I often go to the mainstream stores. I generally do most of my shopping at "health food" stores, Wholefoods etc. so I very rarely feel like the odd one out. Except for the fact that I'm so much better looking than everyone else, but I guess I'm used to that.

If I'm in a rural area I try to do most of my shopping at the local farmers markets, or even those pick your own schemes directly from the farm. With those pick your own schemes, everyone's buying the same thing so I never feel like an alien there. Except that the farm does usually look like it's been hit by a crop circle after I've picked all my food, so I do get that alien sense of identity a little bit.

The thing is, even in the mainstream stores in my area I'd still be surrounded by a lot of plant-based people. They're everywhere these days. And much more so in America I think. Even the politicians are going plant-based. Al Gore, Clinton, Kucinich, Mayor of Chicago, Mayor of Texas. I think the problem is that you don't live in a big city.

Wash your back

Posted Sunday, July 13, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Thanks for your input Theodore. I hope someday that no matter where you live, there will be WFPB eaters and they will feel comfortable. The mayor in the posted video is from Marshall, Texas, which has a population of 25,000, a smaller city, and its great they are holding monthly meetings. Maybe these monthly meetings are the way to go in a smaller city and rural areas.
Wouldn't it be awesome if there were PCRM monthly meetings held by volunteers at libraries or churches across the U.S.?
It is a far drive for me to get to Whole Foods store or other health food store. I must live in some kind of strange pocket where there are none nearby. They just started a farmer's market not far from me if I can get over there Thursday early evening.
In my regular grocery store, people have the oddest behavior.... people often walk right by the vegetable section! Or they get a couple tomatoes and then keep going! Well, I am glad I get the best selection of the kale. Usually there is no shortage or if there is I ask and the guy in the back brings a new fresh box and lets me pick first and I am in absolute heaven at that time seeing all of that fresh kale.

Posted Sunday, July 13, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Texas Mayor Reverses Cancer w/WFPB Diet
Posted Monday, July 14, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Yes splendid idea, Veganer. PCRM could set up a local contact scheme so that members can support each other in their WFPB dietary lifestyle. Why not send Susan a pm about that just in case she doesn't read this thread. I think they do have various events going on for people who live in the Washington area.

I remember in the early years of my WFPB journey I did organise some meetings in my local area, much like the mayor in that video. I'm not officially the mayor in my home town, but I'm respected almost on the same level as a mayor or duke, so there was quite a buzz when I first went WFPB.

I just wish I was in your neck of the woods so I could come to your monthly meetings. It sounds like the makings of a really good thing. Let me know if there's any way I can help from afar.

Wash your back

Posted Wednesday, July 16, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Thanks Theodore.

Posted Thursday, August 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM

This week we had our first meeting of plant-based eaters and there were 9 of us. It went very well. People were at different phases of their journey. It was really fun. We will be doing this monthly.

I wish someday there will be a plant-based nutrition support group in every area. Its a way to educate others, share recipes and resources, and receive support and validation.

In my area of the world where this isn't widely accepted, I felt accepted and appreciated.

Edited 08/14/14 9:09 PM
Texas Mayor Reverses Prostate Cancer w/ WFPB Die
Posted Friday, August 15, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Veganer

It warms my heart to hear such good news. Although my experience with vegan groups tells me that it can only go down hill from here. But perhaps we should just try and be happy that things went well, and deal with any adverse events when they arise.

Wash your back

Posted Tuesday, September 9, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Thanks for the warning Theodore. We had our 2nd support group meeting this evening and there were 12 attendees. It was so nice to be with people who are educated about WFPB or open to learning to eat WFPB and who live nearby. How refreshing. Smile

RE: Texas Mayor Reverses!
Posted Thursday, September 11, 2014 at 7:28 AM

Hello Guys!

Thank you for a tips. I do want there was clearly a lot more people like you close to on the interwebs. Only a few people are very careful because of their words, including me personally from time to time.

Posted Friday, September 12, 2014 at 9:42 AM

veganer wrote:

Thanks for the warning Theodore. We had our 2nd support group meeting this evening and there were 12 attendees. It was so nice to be with people who are educated about WFPB or open to learning to eat WFPB and who live nearby. How refreshing. Smile

Veganer trust me, now is about the time when you wanna start thinking about names for your splinter group.

Wash your back

Posted Saturday, September 20, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Okay Theodore. I will keep that in mind. This morning I ran into someone from our support group in the parking lot of the grocery store and we talked and supported each other. That's a first: Actually to run into someone who lives nearby who is eating healthy. That's a highly unusual experience around here. How great! There is hope yet! I don't feel so alone in the WFPB world today. Smile

Posted Saturday, September 20, 2014 at 12:39 PM

veganer wrote:

This morning I ran into someone from our support group in the parking lot of the grocery store and we talked and supported each other. That's a first: Actually to run into someone who lives nearby who is eating healthy. That's a highly unusual experience around here. How great! There is hope yet! I don't feel so alone in the WFPB world today. Smile

That's all well and good, Veganer. But I get the impression it was quite a brief encounter. I guarantee you if it had lasted just a couple of minutes longer she would've started an argument with you about something. Your group has been going for a couple of months now and that's at least three times the average lifespan of a normal vegan/plant-based group. So you're on borrowed time already. My advice to you is to prepare for fireworks.

Wash your back

RE: Texas Mayor Reverses Prostate Cancer w/ WFPB
Posted Tuesday, September 23, 2014 at 12:34 PM

I was delighted to know that there is an active Meatless Mainers meetup group where I live and the variety of activities they sponsor astounds me. It is great to meet others with a like mindset. : )

good topic, thanks for tips!
Posted Thursday, September 25, 2014 at 12:46 PM

good topic, thanks for tips! Very Happy

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 440 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org