21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: why am i not loosing weight
Created on: 11/06/13 08:50 AM Views: 2787 Replies: 13
why am i not loosing weight
Posted Wednesday, November 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I am on day 12 of Kickstart. the first week I lost 2 lbs, this week I am gaining it back. I've been faithful to eating vegan and have also been tracking my calories on the Myfitnessplan website. any suggestions?

RE: why am i not loosing weight
Posted Wednesday, November 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM

If you are primarily concerned with loosing weight, as indicated by your comment that you are charting your calorie intake, perhaps you could take a very good look there to see why.

You indicated that you are eating vegan, but are you following the Kickstart recipes? The low fat, whole food, component of this program is the key to all of the vegan motivations, health and fitness, animal rights, ecology, spirituality. If you are eating vegan junk food, or filling up on avocados and cashews, you will be plump… just like me!

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Edited 11/06/13 8:58 AM
Posted Wednesday, November 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Agreed, it is often times more about the fat intake. Watch the added oils and fatty plant foods like nuts. If you want to track calories, you can, but this is a no calorie counting required plan! Filling up on high-fiber foods is the key!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, November 6, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Thank for your helpful replies. I have been trying to eat high fiber food but around 4 pm I hit a real hungry stretch so find myself eating wassa or another approved cracker with jam. I would like to munch on an apple with almond butter but the fat content goes over the 3%. Any suggestions? I've also been trying different yogurts made of soy, almond or coconut to replace my beloved greek yogurt, Nothing as yet has met the mark.

Posted Wednesday, November 6, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Thank for your helpful replies. I have been trying to eat high fiber food but around 4 pm I hit a real hungry stretch so find myself eating wassa or another approved cracker with jam. I would like to munch on an apple with almond butter but the fat content goes over the 3%. Any suggestions? I've also been trying different yogurts made of soy, almond or coconut to replace my beloved greek yogurt, Nothing as yet has met the mark.

Posted Wednesday, November 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM

If you find yourself getting hungry at 4pm and thus taking leave of good meal options, then you are definitely not eating enough earlier in the day. This is an extremely common "dieting" error.

I'd like to see you eat more for breakfast (MORE oatmeal, for example), lunch (MORE beans in a burrito!), and mid-day/early afternoon snacks (MORE whole fruits). I think you'll find, in turn, smarter late afternoon and dinner choices (and ultimately weight loss).

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, November 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM

With regard to the yogurt replacements, I have heard that it is a very good idea to not even try any cheese or yogurt replacements at first. There is nothing quite like that fat, for your brain chemistry, so nothing does hit the mark until you get it out of your system. It is like going back to salt, or being stuck with homogenized milk well after you have switched to 2%… once you get over the transition you will find greek yogurt very fatty.

For my money, Daiya products are the only ones that hit the mark, cheese wise… and the coconut yogurt is the closest I can find… if you do decide not to wait. It is a matter of personal taste though.

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Thursday, November 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM

After weighing myself this am only to see I am busy putting back the weight I lost the previous week, I went back to look at my food choices for week 1 vs week 2. I have been following the recipies from the 21 day kickstart (all have been good by the way) I noticed that in week 1 I was always hungry plus I had more fruit and veg. I am following the suggestions from the replies to my post and did eat more beans. So, while I have not had the starving attack around 4, I also am not loosing weight. Shucks. Sad

Posted Thursday, November 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Thank you Irene and susan for your replies.

Posted Monday, November 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM

it's the same for me: i'm not losing any weight. i do feel better and more energetic but somehow the weight isn't coming off.
i was wondering, if it has something to do with my previous low carb diet..?!
is my body holding on to the carbs?

how long does it take to adjust to the healthy diet?
i've been (low fat) vegan for a month now...

Posted Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I am not loosing weight either. Weight loss is the most important goal I have since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

I don't eat nuts or avocado. My breakfast is always oatmeal and fruit with soy milk. Lunches are always beans and greens. Dinner is an apple or pear.

My blood work was already perfect so that is nothing new. I want to loose 20 lbs! The needle doesn't move even if I eat 500 calories a day or 1200 calories a day. This is really frustrating.

Posted Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I am not loosing weight either. Weight loss is the most important goal I have since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

I don't eat nuts or avocado. My breakfast is always oatmeal and fruit with soy milk. Lunches are always beans and greens. Dinner is an apple or pear.

My blood work was already perfect so that is nothing new. I want to loose 20 lbs! The needle doesn't move even if I eat 500 calories a day or 1200 calories a day. This is really frustrating.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Posted Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 1:27 AM

A good way to lose weight is to eat more veggies and less grains. Veggies are much higher in fiber & nutrients per calorie. They are also much lower on the glycemic index. Eating low-glycemic is a good way to fix insulin resistance, which raises your metabolic set-point, or stable weight. That may be why you're hitting a wall with calorie restriction. Instead of eating less crackers, just skip the crackers and eat more veggies & beans. Once you're at your ideal weight you can reintroduce healthy foods like fruit & nuts.

Posted Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Jam for a snack? I say no to that for a snack. Straight veggies or fruit always. Calorie intake to what calories you're burning is important. You have to take a good hard look at yourself and admit you are taking in to many sweets, fats, calories in general and commit to the change.

Go raw veggies. Nothing cooked for 5 days. But don't go into the 5 days right off the bat. Progress to it. Increase your veggies and fruit each meal until you get to 100% to start your days. Just nice huge fruit smoothie in the morning. Salad for lunch and a salad for dinner with a fruit smoothie too. Use avocado, walnuts, and coconuts to get your fat intake. Don't use any dressing. You're killing the flavor of the veggies anyway.

See how you feel and don't cheat. When you feel like you're lonely for the bad stuff then remind yourself why you're committed in the first place.
Want a snack then try Brad's Raw Foods because they are made with health in mind and they are a great snack. Its the only one I use period.

Plus, cooking food reduces its nutrients anyway so raw is healthier for you. You'll feel better the more you go raw and as you do you'll likely wonder why you hadn't tried it before. It's only tough the first couple days as you get used to it but by each evening you will lay down and feel clean and feeling like you're ready for the next day. Make your salads as full of variety as you can (10 veggie minimum, maybe include a chopped apple which I do a lot). Eat pineapple 1 hour after your meal as it will aid in digestion and break down fats (especially if you chew on the stem of the pineapple which is where the most Bromelain is. And make them big salads. Have a fruit smoothie with each salad and always have bananas, apples, persimmons on hand for a snack. I'm 100% raw for 12 days now and I love it. Before that I was 60-70% raw and it was great. Jumping to 100% is big so you want to progress there rather than make the jump early and fail.

You know what's also good? Apple Cider Vinegar but you'll have to read up on that. Wonderful stuff. Make sure you read everything about it before jumping into it.

Personally, I won't be going back to cooked food except as a treat.

Have your B-12 level checked in case you need to supplement that.

I have so much more energy, I look great, and I look healthier overall. Now go for it. You can do it.

Peace!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 306 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org