21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Let's support each other
Created on: 12/31/12 12:23 PM Views: 7913 Replies: 77
RE: Let's support each other
Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Hope everyone is having a good start to the week. My 16 year old son is down for the count with the flu. Poor guy. I did manage to eek in a workout this morning before I took him to the doctor and myself to the dentist - then off to work. Glad I got the workout in early - because now I am pooped.

My hubby is at the store now picking up a few vegan essentials and chicken noodle soup Sad Have a healthy evening all! K

Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Sorry your son is sick Sad Hope he feels better quickly.

But I'm still going strong on my kickstart! A full 7 days completely vegan! I have also not had any candy or other processed foods nor any compulsive eating with unhealthy junk.

We can do this together, be strong!

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM

All three of my boys are home sick with the flu. I got up early this morning to wipe down every surface I could think of with lysol... I suppose I am too late.

I have struggled to stay on track this week - but am hopeful today will be a better day. I hope it is a good day for all of you too! K

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Hi ... just checking in and catching up on the posts!

K - sorry to hear your sons are sick. I bet you can manage to fend off the germs and stay healthy!

Minivegan - you rock for not straying! I wish I can say the same but it's a work-in-progress for me. I've mostly stayed vegan (with the exception of a few slips) but unfortunately I had some crappy processed food here and there.

I'm going to watch fat, sick and nearly dead this weekend and hopefully get some inspiration!

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Hi ... just checking in and catching up on the posts!

K - sorry to hear your sons are sick. I bet you can manage to fend off the germs and stay healthy!

Minivegan - you rock for not straying! I wish I can say the same but it's a work-in-progress for me. I've mostly stayed vegan (with the exception of a few slips) but unfortunately I had some crappy processed food here and there.

I'm going to watch fat, sick and nearly dead this weekend and hopefully get some inspiration!

I'll try to catch up on posts more this weekend!

Continued success to everyone!

Hugs!

Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 11:51 PM

minz wrote:

Thanks! Still completely vegan on day 10! I had been about 80% vegan before this and a vegetarian for 11 years prior so I've had some practice. Having these strict guidelines for such a healthy lifestyle is a saving grace. I'd been struggling with compulsive eating for over a year - including up until 1/1/13 - and this change has so far stopped my binge eating.

I also watch such videos for inspiration ALL the time! I'm constantly on youtube watching Dr. McDougall, Dr. Barnard, Dr. Esselstyn, etc. "Sick, Fat, and Nearly Dead" is a good one. My favorite though is "Forks Over Knives", I need to buy it so I can watch it anytime and have it on hand for others to watch too.

Keep going everyone. Half way there!

- Amanda

Posted Sunday, January 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Hi all,

Can I join you? Years ago I belonged to a vegetarian/vegan group locally (no longer exists) which would meet once a month and everyone would take a vegan dish along so we could all share some delicious food; it was a great way to support one another too. Sadly I can't seem to find an active local group anymore and we all need support on this journey because although things have got easier in shops, it can still be hard to find healthy options. So many temptations around!

Quote:

Food4thought wrote: Unfortunately, my foodie urges got the best of me once I was off the 'plan'.
I was thinking earlier that this is like learning to cook a whole recipe book in one go! Normally, we might learn one new recipe every now and then but with this new way of eating, we're cooking 3 or 4 new recipes every day. Well, we're at Vegan cookery school and students at cookery schools practice and practice and practice...I intend to stay on the plan and keep repeating until I can memorise ingredients, recipes and improvise when I haven't got everything in. Then I'm going to start looking at recipes in a couple of other books I've got.

I'm a week behind on the plan because it took me nearly a week to get organised!!

Posted Sunday, January 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Welcome Claremus! I'm glad you found us Smile

I agree, this is a lot of cooking. Especially if you are also cooking for a non-vegan family. This has really been a stumbling block for me.

I am shopping and prepping today for a vegan week. My only challenge will be a party on Thursday - but I will follow the advise given here and eat before I go. Who am I kidding, that will hardly be my only challenge - but it will be a biggie.

I have a buddy lined up to walk with at lunch everyday next week. I'm so happy about that. Hopefully the weather will hold. I'm still learning how to use the total gym. Once I know what I'm doing, it appears to be a very efficient way to workout at home.

Have a healthy Sunday everyone. K

Posted Sunday, January 13, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Of course you can join in! Welcome Claremus! I wish I had a local vegetarian/vegan group here. Maybe I should start one!

Never2Late wrote:

I agree, this is a lot of cooking. Especially if you are also cooking for a non-vegan family. This has really been a stumbling block for me.
I am shopping and prepping today for a vegan week. My only challenge will be a party on Thursday - but I will follow the advise given here and eat before I go. Who am I kidding, that will hardly be my only challenge - but it will be a biggie.
I have a buddy lined up to walk with at lunch everyday next week. I'm so happy about that. Hopefully the weather will hold. I'm still learning how to use the total gym. Once I know what I'm doing, it appears to be a very efficient way to workout at home.

Yes, it is a lot of cooking. So I don't follow what they suggest - I eat left overs a lot Smile I simply stick with my meals being free of animal products, processed foods, and added oils. I do save the recipes however for later. When you go to the party, bring a vegan dish with you! Eating before you go will make you less hungry there plus you know you'll have one thing you can definitely eat.
My schedule got on funky on me lately so I too am struggling with getting a workout routine set. But diet is around 80% of it so I figure that has top priority right now. Exercise will fit in after some more planning.

- Amanda

Edited 01/13/13 1:29 PM
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Day 16... How are we all doing?

- Amanda

Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I was going well until the last few days. I ended up wanting and eating chocolate (vegan but still chocolate). I thought about it later and realised it was because I wanted comfort food. I have not been well - my asthma has been playing up a bit and today I also feel like I could be heading toward a head cold or something. I need to find new comfort foods for those days when its needed. Today I got home from work and ate a little left over vegan macaroni cheese. Also a good comfort food when not well.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Dr. McDougall has a line of healthy vegan soup cups that I've been using as my I-don't-so-hot foods. Keep trying though. You are doing great Smile

- Amanda

Posted Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing. I finally watched Forks over Knives and I am very inspired to stay vegan. Amazing!

I have a lot of travel coming up - including time in Spain - and am worried it will be difficult to stay vegan while I am there. I will try to bring a few things with me, but will be very limited what I can bring. I will be traveling as a chaperone for my son's soccer team - so not a lot of choice for me where I dine... Oh well, I will just do the best I can.

Anyone have any experience with this? I'd appreciate any tips.

I hope you are all doing well. I am getting over the flu - and feel good, but the headache has really hung on. I'm glad I am treating my body a bit better - at least I know I am doing what I can.

Hope to hear from you soon! Kay

Posted Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 1:01 PM

You should be able to get beans & rice type fare in most places - you may just need to skip the entree and go for a couple of the side dishes as your meal. Staying low fat will probably be more difficult than vegan actually.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Everything is going very well and I'm still happily vegan Smile I signed up for the kickstart again just to see if there are different recipes and/or new information given. I'll be around on the forums too. I like this community of like-minded people.

Glad you finally saw "Forks Over Knives"! I need to buy a copy for myself, its great for inspiration and to share with others.

For Spain, look into what their native cuisine looks like (I'm honestly not sure) and from there you can prepare on how to tackle it. Also, learn Spanish food words so you'll know what to look for on menus.

- Amanda

Posted Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM

"native cuisine" is very regional - lots of fish, rice, and vegetable dishes. Pork is big (as ham or sausage usually). But, you should be able to find dishes with vegetables and lentils or legumes (white beans seem to be popular). I just did a wikipedia search on Spanish cuisine and they had a lot of information including traditional dishes from the various regions. If you're going to be someplace like Madrid, it'll probably be easier to get something vegan since it's more metropolitan area as opposed to small towns out away from the population centers.
--DebR

Posted Friday, January 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Thanks Deb! Especially for the research. The biggest problem will be the 'all inclusive' trip won't allow my any choice of where to dine. I'm just going to do the best I can without going hungry. Hopefully I'll discover some great new vegan dishes!

Have a great weekend everyone! K

Posted Friday, January 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Be sure to stash some portable snacks in your bag (whatever you'll be carrying with you - camera bag, small purse, fannypack, etc). See if you have some 'off' time (non-tourist time) that you can go to a local grocery and pick up some granola bars or even some bags of nuts and dried fruit. Whatever you can find that is portable, stable, and will help fill you up if dinner is just salad. Or, pack some on-the-go snacks in your suitcase to have with you on the trip. Oh, and if you can at this late date, request a vegan meal on your flights.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 215 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org