21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Herbal teas
Created on: 07/30/13 10:40 AM Views: 618 Replies: 4
Herbal teas
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Hey tea drinkers, I picked up some loose herbal tea (a mix with mint, chamomile, etc.) and a reusable unbleached cotton bag to steep it in. However, I don't know how much to use per cup. What are the average proportions? I know that it's a "more or less to taste" kind of thing but where do I start? 1 tbl. per 8 oz. water? 1 tsp. per 8 oz.?

Thanks
--DebR

RE: Herbal teas
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Hey Deb...

I like my herbal tea a bit stronger, I keep a tablespoon measurement in my loose tea and start with one tablespoon and go from there.

I love mint tea...it sounds heavenly.

A

Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 10:20 AM

It worked! I used my little 1/8 cup coffee scoop in a cup of boiling water. Let it steep until I could actually drink it without causing myself injury. Then heated more water and made a second cup, same scoop and it was still good. Third cup is a little weaker but not at all bad. Experiment is a success!

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Yay!!

When I was drinking coffee and I loved my coffee, I thought I was happy, sort of like when I ate meat. Life was good.

And just like my journey of letting go of dairy/meat opened the world up to experience all sorts of new foods and combinations of food. I rejoice in the creativity it gave me to dine.

I hope you come to enjoy teas like I have. I hope those coffee drinkers will allow the benefits of tea to come into their lives and explore the wonderful world of tea. After all coffee is just tea made with coffee beans... Rolling Eyes

Let me know what other teas you enjoy. Oh btw,for me mint tea seems perfect after a meal. I hope you try it.

Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I've been drinking herbal teas for years - but it was the pre-bagged type, and particularly Celestial Seasons Bengal Spice. However, lately there have been some rumblings that their products have not-so-nice residue and all. I couldn't find a pre-bagged alternative that had the kick I wanted without caffeine (Bengal Spice has ginger, cinnamon, black pepper and a few other things - nice kick but not too spicy). What I found in the bulk teas section at the co-op we shop at has almost an identical assortment of spices (slightly different combination overall though - Bengal Spice uses roasted chicory, this other stuff uses oat straw). I figured I'd get a little and give it a try (that's the nice thing about the bulk bins!) It seems okay - it's not quite the same but it's definitely an option - I'm looking for something that has that first thing in the morning kick that coffee would do (the black pepper in Bengal Spice is a serious kick).

Actually, I can't drink straight mint tea - it's too strong for my stomach (odd, I know, given that it's supposedly a really good tummy soother). I tend more toward chamomile - same family, less stress on the tummy for me.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 360 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org