21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Pregnancy and starting a vegan diet
Created on: 04/04/14 11:32 AM Views: 652 Replies: 6
Pregnancy and starting a vegan diet
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I just found out I'm about 4 weeks in. I've been wanting to try to start a vegan diet but is it safe to begin a vegan diet while pregnant? I just know that any type of dieting is not recommended during pregnancy since you need the extra calories. I'm not concerned about losing weight I just want more energy and to be healthy. Any tips on starting vegan diets during pregnancy?

RE: Pregnancy and starting a vegan diet
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Yes, it is doable

http://pcrm.org/kickstartHome/resources/back-to-school.cfm#parents

And, at the same time, remember to go easy on yourself if you have a craving for something that isn't vegan and you indulge. Very Happy

--DebR

Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Absolutely safe and beneficial for a healthy pregnancy and baby!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, April 5, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Thank you! The link helped a lot. Now I have a starting point.

Posted Saturday, April 5, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Thank you! The link helped a lot. Now I have a starting point.

Posted Sunday, April 6, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Let me just admit right upfront that I haven't read any of the posts in this thread. Unfortunately I get very squeemish when it comes to pregnancy matters so I have to be careful what I read. But I'm assuming from the title that this thread is about the safety of eating a (wholefood plant-based) vegan diet during pregnancy, so I'm just gonna say my piece and hope that my assumption is correct and that I'm not repeating what someone else has already said.

The thing is, it's really the ingenuity of the meat and dairy marketing machines that causes people to ask this question. Their products are overloaded with saturated fat, cholesterol, heme iron and IGF-1-promoting protein, and yet they'd have you believe that a vegan diet is the diet that puts your baby's health at risk.

The real question is: is it safe to eat animal products during pregnancy ? Based on the above list of baddies and the fact that a person's health is influenced by what their mother was eating as far back as 12 months before conception, my answer would be no.

Wash your back

Posted Sunday, April 6, 2014 at 1:10 PM

I believe Alicia Silverstone also had a vegan pregnancy and she has a book named Kind Life, Kind Diet and a blog.

It would be important to me to understand that a vegan diet would "protect" my unborn from the damages of meat and dairy, plus the antibiotics, chemicals, etc. The better my health and the better the nutrients, the safer my baby.

Another thought is the more we do to preserve our planet, the safer place your baby has to grow up. It isn't JUST eating meat or not, it is also how it effects the planet, animals and of course, our own health.

I lost my mom nearly 2 years ago, I can only hope that you will give yourself the best nutrition, therefore, the best life your can have to love your baby for decades to come.

Congratulations and Welcome!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 189 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org