21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Free Easy Organic Sodium-Free Veggie Broth
Created on: 03/05/13 08:06 AM Views: 1091 Replies: 5
Free Easy Organic Sodium-Free Veggie Broth
Posted Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Tired of buying expensive organic veggie stock? Make your own from the (fresh) scraps you would normally throw away! Just keep a gallon freezer bag or other suitable container in the freezer. I label ours "For Veggie Broth" so my family doesn’t accidently throw it away. Add cleaned, fresh vegetable scraps, excluding cruciferous veggies, to it each time you prep a meal. (I keep a separate bag to which I add cruciferous veggie scraps and only add them when making a broth I'll use in recipes containing cruciferous vegetables.) The only veggies "required" for stock are onions, carrots, and celery, but add whatever you tend to use, including bell pepper seeds, membranes and stems, leftover garlic skin and such that you pick out of your press after mincing, tomato stems and ends, potato and sweet potato skins, mushrooms stems, zucchini ends and skin, and of course onion ends and peels, carrot ends and peels, celery ends and leaves, etc.. If it's clean and fresh (not starting to spoil), it can go into your broth. When your bag or container is full, empty scraps into a 6 qt. stockpot, add a bay leaf or two, 8-10 whole peppercorns, a little rosemary and garlic (if not already in your scrap bag). Cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least 90 minutes. The longer you cook, the darker, richer, and more flavorful your broth will be. Strain the broth into a pitcher (which simplifies pouring it into freezer bags and ice cube trays) using a fine mesh strainer and/or cheesecloth. If desired, cover veggies with water again and repeat for a second, milder batch of broth. Store broth in ice cube size chunks (once they’re frozen, pop them out and into a freezer bag) to use when sautéing (instead of oil, which is totally unnecessary!), and also in 1 c and 4 c containers. It’s simple to pull the amount you need out of the freezer and immerse in a bowl of hot water to thaw in no time. We use the stock when making rice and quinoa to add more flavor and nutrients than water alone would, and, of course when making soup or any recipe that calls for stock. I’ve never tried making stock in a crock pot, but I imagine it would work to simply throw everything in a crock pot and turn it on low for the day.

Anne Haring
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial." 1 Cor 10:23

RE: Free Easy Organic Sodium-Free Veggie Broth
Posted Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 9:00 AM

That's such a great idea. I started freezing my scraps this week I when I saw the idea mentioned in another thread, but haven't made the stock yet. I'm ending up with a lot of asparagus stems - at least half. Do you think that it will taste good?

Posted Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Excellent, thank you!

Posted Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Why excluding cruciferous veggies?

Would you include things like cucumber peels, kale stems, brussel sprouts ends?

I've never tried making homemade broth, but you made it sound so tempting that I started a freezer bag today with the scraps from my big salad.

Thanks

Posted Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Also, I don't use fresh onions for anything, but I usually have a bag of diced onions from the supermarket in the freezer, so I suppose I could throw them in the mix too.

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM

slt wrote:

Why excluding cruciferous veggies?

Would you include things like cucumber peels, kale stems, brussel sprouts ends?

I've never tried making homemade broth, but you made it sound so tempting that I started a freezer bag today with the scraps from my big salad.

Thanks

Some things make the result bitter - hubby doesn't like celery tops in the stock, but carrot and beet tops are fine. Kale and chard stems would probably work fine, not sure about brussels sprout ends and cucumber peels probably not (but maybe). We usually use root veggie peelings and ends (those bits that you cut off of carrot, potato, sweet potato, beets, etc), tops from carrots and beets whenever possible. hmm what else goes in there? It's hard to say because it varies depending on season to some extent (we try to eat as much in-season as we can, given that some things are never in season in New England). Yes, using frozen chopped onion would work. We also put fresh chopped celery in with the aromatics when making the stock.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 249 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org