21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Slow cooker
Created on: 07/21/13 09:59 AM Views: 5577 Replies: 27
Slow cooker
Posted Sunday, July 21, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I'm thinking about getting a slow cooker for the first time-does anyone have advice re. type/vegan recipes? Any problems cooking vegan in such a device? Thanks Very Happy

RE: Slow cooker
Posted Sunday, July 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Slow cooking works great with veggies, grains, and beans in all kinds of vegan recipes! These are some great vegan slow cooker books: http://www.amazon.com/The-Vegan-Slow-Cooker-Intensely/dp/1592334644. and if you like Indian food:
http://www.amazon.com/Indian-Slow-Cooker-Authentic-ebook/dp/B004ROT3L2/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374415552&sr=1-1&keywords=Indian+slow+cooker+singla (not all vegan but can be modified) and http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Indian-Cooking-Healthy-ebook/dp/B008FOSJXS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374415600&sr=1-1&keywords=Indian+vegan+singla (not all slow cooker but many are).

Enjoy!

Posted Sunday, July 21, 2013 at 5:54 PM

christl wrote:

I'm thinking about getting a slow cooker for the first time-does anyone have advice re. type/vegan recipes? Any problems cooking vegan in such a device? Thanks Very Happy

Hi Christi!

Slow cookers are great and can be a vegan's best friend! However, I must admit that I pretty much retired mine in favor of a pressure cooker. Do you have one of those?

This is very timely - I'm just finishing up an article on the plant-based fitness blog about my new pressure cooker - it's an electric model that has nudged my old cooktop Presto out of the limelight. The company sent me a sample model and I've cooked several things in it and have taken many pictures for the article - lentil soup, greens, and a whole 5 lb sack of potatoes! Not to mention an entire butternut squash - without even cutting it up or peeling it first. I kid you not!

I'm publishing the article this week, so if you sing up for my newsletter you'll be informed soon after it goes live.

The company offered to create an affiliate account for me as I will be saying such great things about this item - but I asked them if I could, as an alternative, pass on the commission and simply have a code to give to my readers so that they could get a discount if they purchased one. They came through with a $45 discount code for me!

So, back to your original question - a slow cooker is fabulous - at the same time my review item can double as a slow cooker - how sweet is that?

The article will be up in a day or two. You can sign up for my newsletter here.

Cheers and all best as you move forward with your food plan!

Lani

facebook

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Sunday, July 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Thanks so much, Sharon and Lani Very Happy

I signed up for your newsletter, Lani, and eagerly await its arrival--I know nothing about pressure cookers! LOVED your Rockie birthday video--will be watching all videos of her soon
Very Happy

Posted Sunday, July 21, 2013 at 10:56 PM

christl wrote:

Thanks so much, Sharon and Lani Very Happy

I signed up for your newsletter, Lani, and eagerly await its arrival--I know nothing about pressure cookers! LOVED your Rockie birthday video--will be watching all videos of her soon
Very Happy

christl - oh! I'm so glad you caught the most recent Rockie video! Did you see it before today or is this the first time you've been to the blog?

Just about done with the pressure cooker article. Soon!

Lani

facebook

Posted Monday, July 22, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Hi, Lani-it was my first visit to your blog/first exposure to Rockie! I'm very pleased to have found you both Very Happy

Posted Monday, July 22, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Hi, Lani-it was my first visit to your blog/first exposure to Rockie! I'm very pleased to have found you both Very Happy

Posted Monday, July 22, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I guess it reflects how very pleased I am! Sorry for the multiple repeats-kept getting a gateway problem and no sign the post had gone thru Confused

Edited 07/22/13 1:05 AM
Posted Monday, July 22, 2013 at 7:37 AM

christl wrote:

I guess it reflects how very pleased I am! Sorry for the multiple repeats-kept getting a gateway problem and no sign the post had gone thru Confused

No worries! Enthusiasm is catching and you sound like way too much fun christl!

How is you're Kickstart going - is this your first?

Lani

Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 3:18 PM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

christl wrote:

Hi Christi!

Slow cookers are great and can be a vegan's best friend! However, I must admit that I pretty much retired mine in favor of a pressure cooker. Do you have one of those?

This is very timely - I'm just finishing up an article on the plant-based fitness blog about my new pressure cooker - it's an electric model that has nudged my old cooktop Presto out of the limelight. The company sent me a sample model and I've cooked several things in it and have taken many pictures for the article - lentil soup, greens, and a whole 5 lb sack of potatoes! Not to mention an entire butternut squash - without even cutting it up or peeling it first. I kid you not!

I'm publishing the article this week, so if you sing up for my newsletter you'll be informed soon after it goes live.

The company offered to create an affiliate account for me as I will be saying such great things about this item - but I asked them if I could, as an alternative, pass on the commission and simply have a code to give to my readers so that they could get a discount if they purchased one. They came through with a $45 discount code for me!

So, back to your original question - a slow cooker is fabulous - at the same time my review item can double as a slow cooker - how sweet is that?

The article will be up in a day or two. You can sign up for my newsletter here.

Cheers and all best as you move forward with your food plan!

Lani

facebook

I have an InstantPot and I LOVE it. Use it almost every single day, sometimes twice a day. Getting $45 off and free shipping is a great deal. Two good cookbooks to use with it are Jill Nussinow's The New Fast Food and Lorna J. Sass' Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure. Both are vegan. Some of the recipes use oil, but also give alternatives if you want to cook oil free. I refer to both of these books frequently.

If you do decide on the slow cooker research the difference between a slow cooker and a crock pot, I think the crock pot is the better option. I've had both and like the crock pot much better. My crock pot has been used once since I got the InstantPot and that was to cook my father-in-law's favorite dish, I didn't want to experiment, just wanted it to turn out the way he likes it.

Vikki ~

Posted Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Thanks for your feedback, Vikki Very Happy I wonder why you prefer the Instantpot rather than the crock pot? I have no experience at all w/ either. Also, have you tried some recipes you made in the crock pot in your Instantpot? If so, how were they different? I'm interested mainly in making chili, thick soups (i.e., lentil, greens, and garlic), etc. I barely cook and have never made a soup in my life, tho want to be able to make some easy, tasty ones w/ organic, non-processed ingredients (especially since I've learned some soups I buy from restaurants have dairy in them).....Christl

Posted Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 4:58 AM

I have long been a crock pot lover and I will likely never give it up 100%, but the InstantPot is just so much more versatile. I would probably not attempt rice in the crock pot, but I cook rice in the IP all the time. Beans are equally as good in the crock pot or IP, just faster in the IP. Yes, I cook some of the same things in the IP as I did in the crock pot and they come out just as good. Also, the IP has a slow cooker function. I have not used it yet, but it does have that option if you want it. It also has a saute function so if I want to saute onions or mushrooms before adding other ingredients I can do it all in the IP. I will probably never get rid of my crock pot, but since Christmas when I got my IP I have used it twice. And that was too cook chicken for my father-in-law so I could have the IP free to cook rice and lentils for me.

Vikki ~

Posted Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Thanks, Vikki--I'll soon be using Lani's code to get a discounted InstantPot! Thank you, Lani, for your blog review and for passing on great savings Very Happy Christl

Posted Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 10:20 AM

And get one of the cookbooks I mentioned. Maybe you can get them from the library until you figure out which one you like best.

Vikki ~

Posted Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I bought a slow cooker and it doesn't cook the veges properly - I will have to return it as I think there is something wrong with it. Meantime, I have been cooking delicious vege and Quorn casseroles in the oven - I just slice all manner of veges in layers, pour in some vege stock and top with thin slices of potato, which crisp up. It takes about 40 mins and is delicious and healthy. I have decided that I don't really need a slow cooker.

I bought a slow cooker and it doesn't cook the veges properly - I will have to return it as I think there is something wrong with it. Meantime, I have been cooking delicious vege and Quorn casseroles in the oven - I just slice all manner of veges in layers, pour in some vege stock and top with thin slices of potato, which crisp up. It takes about 40 mins and is delicious and healthy. I have decided that I don't really need a slow cooker.

Posted Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 11:48 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 75 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org