21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Blood Test Results
Created on: 03/23/12 03:37 PM Views: 10704 Replies: 35
Blood Test Results
Posted Friday, March 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Switched to Vegan in Nov 2011-4 months ago. Just had my blood tested and I expected amazing results. Instead, My triglycerides went from 160 to 202. My HDL went from 43 to 35.(Not a good direction). My LDL did go down 2 points. My total Cholestrol is 176.
I had decent numbers when I was eating an animal based diet. What gives?

RE: Blood Test Results
Posted Friday, March 23, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Can you describe your vegan diet? Low-fat is a critical component of eating healthfully, especially to get cholesterol down. Eating less processed foods along with low-fat is important for good TG numbers.

It's okay for HDL to fall a little if your LDL is falling too, which it did, a little. I think with some tweaks you could get all these numbers making bigger jumps, and the TG dropping as well.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, March 23, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I see that Susan asked ahead of me, but I wanted to give you the question again anyway. Are you eating a whole food, low fat vegan diet, or do you grab whatever is labled vegan because you are busy and you trust it?

The food industry has caught on to the demand and I swear that the "health food" section is now more dangerous than the junk food section if only because we think the food is good. "Organics" is a grocery store brand name here. Because it is the brand name it can be prominent on the package while the products don't have to be organic, imagine! Things labeled "multigrain" can be made entirely of white flour and quick oats. Multi means more than one grain, not whole grain. Packaged vegan hotdogs and burgers have most of the same chemicals as meat versions do, and are made with synthesized components of possibly genetically modified soybeans, not from the actual complete bean. Sorry for going on and on but this makes me so mad I could spit fire! Meanwhile people who are trying to make changes don't understand why they are not seeing results.

So, now that I got that off my chest, maybe you could let us know what you are eating?

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Friday, March 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I do have to admit that I only followed the 21 Day Quickstart for the first month. Then I felt like my hair, nails and tissues were drying out.I added minute amounts of oil to my diet. When I cook, I use water to cook onions,celery,carrots,etc.I get my recipes out of Engine 2 and Happy Herbivore cookbooks.For an example, I had Pinto Beans and Brown Rice for Breakfast, a Vitamix shake of Kale,Broccoli,Cauliflower,Cilantro,Red Cabbage,Spinach,Apple,Blueberries, Rice Protein Powder and Water. A Salad of Romaine Lettuce with Spinach,Mung Bean Noodles,Carrots,Mint,Basil,Bean Sprouts and Cucumber. I made a Dressing with Lime Juice and Peanuts and Tamari.For dinner I will have Engine2 meatloaf sliced and heated on a whole wheat hamburger bun.
I'd like to add that I am not overweight and I exercise daily.

Posted Friday, March 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Just to clarify, do you eat like this every day or just when you cook? If your food intake is essentially like that all or most of the time I am as stumped as you are.

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Friday, March 23, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I was just checking the happy herbivore site as I don't know it. Also, I don't have the engine 2 book, but it is certainly a reputable source. Another question... Do you use a lot of these dessert recipes, or do you stick whit that as a special occasion? I know that I lost weight on my first kickstart, but then started to discover delicious vegan desserts!

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Friday, March 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I know what you mean about desserts, but I lost my taste for sugar/chocolate after the Kickstart. I do make them for my husband, but I don't even taste them.I am retired and I use my time to research recipes and then I enjoy cooking, so I make quite a bit for a few days, then I cook again.We no longer go out to eat as there is always something better in my fridge.
I have heard about Blood Type diets and I just wonder if my body was designed to be a meat eater.LOL

Posted Friday, March 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Also Happy Herbivore is endorsed by Dr.Barnard.

Posted Friday, March 23, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Thanks for clarifying. I will have to leave it for the pros to answer now.

madeline yakimchuk

Engine 2 and Happy Herbivore should be right in line with our recommendations, to be sure. BUT I would think about whether oils, fats, and/or refined carbs are making their way into your diet more than you like. One blood test may not be the final testimonial to a diet change. Perhaps you need more time to see the tipping point. By American standards, you cholesterol is not high. And you are probably not going to see huge falls with a well-controlled cholesterol number anyway, but I think some small tweaks could be the difference between 170 and say, 140 for total cholesterol. And I know TGs can drop quickly with some small changes as well.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Thanks for clarifying. I will have to leave it for the pros to answer now.

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Friday, March 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Engine 2 and Happy Herbivore should be right in line with our recommendations, to be sure. BUT I would think about whether oils, fats, and/or refined carbs are making their way into your diet more than you like. One blood test may not be the final testimonial to a diet change. Perhaps you need more time to see the tipping point. By American standards, you cholesterol is not high. And you are probably not going to see huge falls with a well-controlled cholesterol number anyway, but I think some small tweaks could be the difference between 170 and say, 140 for total cholesterol. And I know TGs can drop quickly with some small changes as well.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Friday, March 23, 2012 at 5:08 PM

linnie81 wrote:

Lady,

If you had such decent numbers on an animal based diet, why did you change diets ?

Wash your back

Posted Friday, March 23, 2012 at 5:31 PM

theodore wrote:

linnie81 wrote:

Lady,

If you had such decent numbers on an animal based diet, why did you change diets ?

Because listening to Dr.Barnard talk about the Kickstart made it sound so healthy!

Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 12:40 PM

linnie81 wrote:

theodore wrote:

Lady,

linnie81 wrote:

Because listening to Dr.Barnard talk about the Kickstart made it sound so healthy!

But I thought you were already healthy from eating all that wholesome saturated fat and nutritious cholesterol in the animal products.

Wash your back

Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Stick with it Linnie. You are on the right track!

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 1:31 PM

theodore wrote:

linnie81 wrote:

theodore wrote:

Lady,

linnie81 wrote:

But I thought you were already healthy from eating all that wholesome saturated fat and nutritious cholesterol in the animal products.

I don't know if you think you are funny-but I came to this forum for help. My point was that eating an animal based diet, my numbers were fine. Trying to get healthy and eat right, my numbers went downhill.

Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Susan Levin wrote:

Stick with it Linnie. You are on the right track!

Thank you Susan.I will continue knowing that what I am eating is the best it can be.
I didn't appreciate the comments from Theodore.This forum should be to try and get answers and legitimate help.

Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 3:33 PM

linnie81 wrote:

I don't know if you think you are funny-but I came to this forum for help. My point was that eating an animal based diet, my numbers were fine. Trying to get healthy and eat right, my numbers went downhill.

Darn, the one time I try to be funny, and I get heckled.

What's up with that, Susan ? I never got heckled when I was eating animal products.

Wash your back

Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Linnie - I can assure you Theodore is a lot of "tongue and cheek." If you aren't frightened away from the forum yet, you will come to learn he is harmless.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 189 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: Chrisann

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org