21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: HELP!!!
Created on: 03/02/13 10:53 AM Views: 1863 Replies: 9
HELP!!!
Posted Saturday, March 2, 2013 at 10:53 AM

My daughter's wedding is next month and I just tried on the dress I've gotten for it. It fit when I got it but now it's too tight. I've got 49 days until the wedding and figure I need to loose 15 to 20 pounds. What's the best way for me to do that? Would a "cleanse" be a good way to get a quick start?

RE: HELP!!!
Posted Saturday, March 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Your best chance is whole foods. Absolutely no processed oils. Absolutely no added sugar. No alcohol. Fresh veggies, brown rice, beans, maybe one or two pieces of fresh fruit a day. Get some exercise in. You've got to lose almost 3 pounds a week. That's do-able, but you'll have to be strict. Don't starve yourself - EAT. Just eat good, nutritious, whole foods with no added junk, no empty calories. Let us know how it goes.

Vikki ~

Posted Sunday, March 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Losing that much weight that quickly will probably amount to non-permanent weight loss to some degree. Watch out for the inevitable weight gain once you go back to eating a sustainable diet. But eventually, a Kickstart diet will get you to the weight you want to be.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, March 3, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Susan Levin wrote:

Losing that much weight that quickly will probably amount to non-permanent weight loss to some degree. Watch out for the inevitable weight gain once you go back to eating a sustainable diet. But eventually, a Kickstart diet will get you to the weight you want to be.

Susan is absolutely right. Most of us have been there and done that. Lose 5, gain 6, on and on and on. You REALLY have to look at this from a standpoint of being healthy. Let weight loss be a bonus. 1.5 - 2 pounds a week is a much more realistic goal, and still pretty fast to lose weight. In the long run you may be better off getting a new dress.

Vikki ~

Posted Sunday, March 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I'm not expecting long-term weight loss; what I'm after right now is an emergency quick-fix weight loss. Just enough to get me through the wedding. AFTER the wedding when my daughter's moved out of my house I'll be able to follow a vegan diet easier. For example, for dinner today I fixed ratatouille. Her son (my grandson) and I enjoyed it thoroughly. (He's been asking for ratatouille since he saw the movie the other day. I doubt he knew what he was asking for, but he cleaned his plate and asked for seconds!) My daughter went to Taco Bell to get something for lunch. (I use the Skillet Ratatouille recipe in the Health Promoting Cookbook I got from PCRM.)

Jennifer

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Eat a lot of veggies/fruit exercise 1-3hrs a day/4 to 5 days a wk. no bread, pasta, sugary breakfast,alcohol, or juices(unless you juice your own) and drink a cup of green tea with each meal.this is not the healthiest way to loose weight but it works in cases of emergency like yours,good luck.

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Wow! While I understand your situation, I'm disappointed that there is a thread discussing unhealthy ways to lose weight fast.

Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Wit h all due respect, it sounds like pretty healthy ways to lose weight to me! In a perfect world, we would all eat perfect low fat, whole food, vegan meals allowing us to end up at our perfect weight at some point and remain there effortlessly. Very Happyunfortunately that is not the world I live in most of the time. Knowing that I can get back on tract and drop a few pounds by focusing on more salads, greens and other veggies, fruits, "whole" carbs like oats and brown rice, green tea and lots of water while cutting back on breads, pasta, other flour products, starchy vegs, vegan treats and desserts, and alcohol, and upping the exercise a little provides me with a sense of security that this is a doable, sensible, way of eating. I wish I never over-ate, or made bad choices, but sometimes I do, tho less and less. Knowing how to handle it makes all the difference!

Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM

DianeJ wrote:

Knowing that I can get back on tract and drop a few pounds by focusing on more salads, greens and other veggies, fruits, "whole" carbs like oats and brown rice, green tea and lots of water while cutting back on breads, pasta, other flour products, starchy vegs, vegan treats and desserts, and alcohol, and upping the exercise a little provides me with a sense of security that this is a doable, sensible, way of eating.

I agree with this good advise. However the request was for a quick fix in a months time.

Creating a calorie deficit and exercising 3 times more than usual will get you there if that is your goal and you don't care about long term goals. And yes, choosing whole plant foods low in calorie density is the best choice.

Since it's a only month away, why not just quit eating. Many cultures fast for religious reasons. You can even have it supervised by plant-based doctors; True North HealthClinic. You probably won't have any energy by the wedding date, but you'll sure look good.

Edited 03/08/13 9:33 PM
Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Thank you for all the helpful advice. I appreciate your understanding and apologize to whomever I've offended for my not being perfect in following a vegan diet.

Jennifer

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 212 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org