21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Can I eat as much carbohydrates as I want?
Created on: 09/21/13 03:40 AM Views: 1086 Replies: 3
Can I eat as much carbohydrates as I want?
Posted Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 3:40 AM

I feel fear that blood sugar goes high if I eat many carbohydrates foods. For exmaple, I eat rice and fruit and then I want to eat sweet potatoes and whole-meat bread but If I eat those foods blood sugar will be so high so I can't eat. Even in this case, can I eat those too?

RE: Can I eat as much carbohydrates as I want?
Posted Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM

For people with diabetes, it requires a little faith. If you truly have your fat to less than 10 percent of calories (zero animal products, zero added oils), then after about a week usually, you will see your body better able to handle those carbs with much faster absorption. It can be scary, but it really works.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, September 21, 2013 at 7:06 PM

All carbohydrates aren't born equal. Have you heard of The GI index? Carbohydrates with a higher GI will turn to sugar faster in your blood than those with a lower GI. Basically, if the food is white, leave it alone. White sugar, flour, rice -- they'll make your blood sugar rise faster. As for bread, whole wheat bread is almost as bad as white bread. Try pumpernickle or my favorite, rye bread.

Jen

Posted Monday, September 23, 2013 at 8:28 AM

dodink58 wrote:

All carbohydrates aren't born equal. Have you heard of The GI index? Carbohydrates with a higher GI will turn to sugar faster in your blood than those with a lower GI. Basically, if the food is white, leave it alone. White sugar, flour, rice -- they'll make your blood sugar rise faster. As for bread, whole wheat bread is almost as bad as white bread. Try pumpernickle or my favorite, rye bread.

Jen

One slight exception to the whole wheat bread is if the flour is fresh ground right before using it - 'real' whole wheat rather than the stripped and put back together commercial whole wheat. The carb/protein balance is just a little different but it seems to make a world of difference to my blood sugar. It is an investment in time and money to grind your own grains but it is worth it. Also, it requires thoughtful consideration because of that - do I have the time, energy, desire to make a loaf of bread? We've found that we use way less loaf type bread and more alternate things such as tortillas (which we make ourselves from freshly ground wheat) and just plain do things other than toast or sandwiches for meals. Without that 'fall back' of grabbing a couple slices from the commercial loaf of bread, things like my lunches for work take a little thought. But, now, we just cook extras of the good dinners (like spaghetti squash with homemade marinara!) and I reheat them for my lunches here at work (I'm fortunate to have fridge, microwave, stove and oven available). Since 15 yr. old son is not in school at all, he just eats what we have in the house instead of either taking a sandwich or dealing with cafeteria food.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 244 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: tphonhna

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org