21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Fat
Created on: 02/20/13 09:32 PM Views: 1983 Replies: 8
Fat
Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 9:32 PM

How many grams per day (no free oils of course - just naturally occuring in foods)???
Is there a target?

RE: Fat
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 6:04 AM

I don't really count fat grams. I use NO added oils, I rarely eat nuts or avocados. Occasionally I'll put a couple black olives in a salad. When you have eliminated most of the high fat foods, meat, dairy, proccessed and packaged foods, etc. And you're not using added oils, I'm not sure there is any need to count fat grams. I don't count calories either. I see no need.

Vikki ~

Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Yep - as Wild4Stars said above, if you eat whole plant foods and eliminate the oils and super fatty foods like nuts and avocados, you will be in the target range for fat intake. That range happens to be around 10% of your total calories, which for most of us, is 20-30 grams of fat per day.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Thanks! I kept track all day and it was exactly 22 grams. Just wanted to make sure it was OK...

Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Perfect!

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Friday, March 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM

What about the fat-soluble vitamins? and what about the essential fatty acids? would we still get enough of both if we are using a low fat diet? if not, how do we make sure we do? Question

Posted Friday, March 1, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Absolutely. A diet with 10 percent of its calories from fat is plenty to provide all the essential fatty acids as well providing conditions for absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I am struggling to have an issue with fat. 3 months ago, I eliminated sugar from my diet, and quickly lost 20 pounds. When I did this, I stopped worrying about avocados, nuts and healthy oil (I use mostly olive and coconut). My cholesterol and blood pressure when recently checked were both amazing, and of course the weigh loss just got me into a pair of size 10 jeans. So, with all of that, tell me why I should worry about healthy, plant-based fats.

Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 6:16 AM

If your goal was weight loss, and you have reached your goal weight, then you probably don't need to worry too much about plant fats such as nuts, seeds, and avocadoes (I would still avoid processed oils). But for people who need to lose weight or who have or are at risk for diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, or cancer, I would be more cautious with even plant fats, using them sparingly.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 273 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: bczich

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org