21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Three Sisters Garden
Created on: 03/06/13 08:06 PM Views: 1560 Replies: 5
Three Sisters Garden
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I'm so excited that it's getting to the time of year that I can plant my vegetables! A major problem I have is lack of space. I own a mobile home, but it's on a small plot that I rent in a mobile home park. I'm hoping that they'll let me fence in a small part of my yard for my garden. I'd prefer if I owned a small piece of land, but this is the best I can do for now. I want to plant a Three Sisters Garden, but I want to grow more than just corn, squash and beans. I can grow different kinds of beans and squash. I may need to use some of the mounds designated for squash to grow cucumbers. I also want to grow tomatoes, lettuce, peppers. For the beans I already get a variety of them as dried beans (pinto, lima, black, lentils, black-eyed, etc.) so I figure I don't need to grow them. For squash I'd like to grow both crookneck and zucchini, as well as some winter squash. Corn's not as big a priority for me, although I will grow some. I think I'll need to designate some of the areas which are intended for corn, to squash or tomatoes.

Jennifer

RE: Three Sisters Garden
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM

What is a Three Sisters garden? It sounds interesting. Do you know the history of it?

Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM

3 sisters gardening is fascinating!

I worked for a landscaping company a few years back and learned about it. What I will tell you (if you have not already googled it, which I would recommend!) is that this type of gardening plants items that work well together, for instance,

corn (height)
squash (ground)
beans (climbers)

These 3 use up less space and assist each other by what they offer. The corn gives height and shade as well as a place for the beans to grow. The squash covers the ground, retains moisture and utilizes what would have been wasted space.

I have NOT put this in a scientific, maybe not even totally accurate manner, but this is what I remember! I thought it was a wonderful thing!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM

This past Thanksgiving there were articles about Three Sisters Gardens on this site. This is where I first heard of them. It sounded interesting so I decided to try planting one this year.

Jennifer

Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Three Sisters

From Dr. Barnard's blog in November. There are directions at the bottom on how to do it.

Posted Monday, March 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM

and then you combine them into a 3 sisters soup which is wonderful on a chilly autumn evening. We even served a 3 sisters soup as the soup course for Thanksgiving a few years ago. Everyone, vegan and non, loved it.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 136 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: irmaeh

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org