21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Got Mom on Board
Created on: 01/05/13 04:28 PM Views: 2213 Replies: 12
Got Mom on Board
Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM

After throwing a ton of information at my mom (who is overweight and has diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol), I'm getting her to try a low-fat plant-based diet for a week! I helped her create meal plans for that time so she could set up her grocery list and get started tomorrow. Wish us both luck as I bring her on this positive lifestyle change with me!

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

RE: Got Mom on Board
Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Good luck!! You can do it!

It's something I want to convince my mom to do but it will be difficult because my dad won't be on board. Next time she comes to visit I'm going to get her to eat plant based for the entire time.

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM

MiniVegan wrote:

After throwing a ton of information at my mom (who is overweight and has diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol), I'm getting her to try a low-fat plant-based diet for a week! I helped her create meal plans for that time so she could set up her grocery list and get started tomorrow. Wish us both luck as I bring her on this positive lifestyle change with me!

Very cool MiniVegan! Looking forward to your reporting in!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Well done to get so far and good luck with the week ahead.

Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Mom's update:

She is continuing on beyond the original week projected because she understands that it could take longer than that to see results. I did know this, but didn't want to push the issue since I was so excited I got seven days out of her.

She has been doing well but not see the drastic changes I wanted to see. Granted, I can't get her to give up half-and-half in her coffee and all of the olive oil for cooking but everything else considered, this was a HUGE step. But now we are seeing some changes! Her hot flashes have significantly diminished and her blood sugar numbers are now below 200. She did her own unplanned experiment where she "cheated" with cheese at dinner and cow milk in her cereal at breakfast. Guess what happened? Her blood sugar numbers went back up! I got her back on track and we'll keep trucking along one vegan day at a time Smile

- Amanda

Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Well done MiniVegan and Mom, it's going really well. I'm not sure I'll ever get my husband to do vegan, but he certainly is noticing that I am eating delicious meals and absolutely loved the homemade hummus pita pizza yesterday. I plan to convert him through his tastebuds! What is really great is that your mom has seen the difference putting her old foods back into the diet and how it plays havoc with her body.

Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 6:52 AM

MiniVegan wrote:

Mom's update:

She is continuing on beyond the original week projected because she understands that it could take longer than that to see results. I did know this, but didn't want to push the issue since I was so excited I got seven days out of her.

She has been doing well but not see the drastic changes I wanted to see. Granted, I can't get her to give up half-and-half in her coffee and all of the olive oil for cooking but everything else considered, this was a HUGE step. But now we are seeing some changes! Her hot flashes have significantly diminished and her blood sugar numbers are now below 200. She did her own unplanned experiment where she "cheated" with cheese at dinner and cow milk in her cereal at breakfast. Guess what happened? Her blood sugar numbers went back up! I got her back on track and we'll keep trucking along one vegan day at a time Smile

Amanda,

I think you are doing an amazing job with Mom! It sounds like you know just the rigth amount of balance between push and compassionate, which is obviously an inspiration to her. Nice work!

Lani

Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 3:53 PM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

[quote="MiniVegan"]Amanda,

I think you are doing an amazing job with Mom! It sounds like you know just the rigth amount of balance between push and compassionate, which is obviously an inspiration to her. Nice work!

Lani

It hasn't always been that way! Its been a battle for years and we've had many intense conversations about her health. I love her and just want her to be healthy and live a long, happy life. She has been overweight my entire life and diabetic, high cholesterol, etc for the past 11+ years. When she talked to her doctor about this, he said it wasn't her last chance but her BEST last chance. So on we go...

- Amanda

Edited 01/17/13 3:54 PM
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Another Update...
Talked with my mom on the phone yesterday and her blood sugar numbers are down to 170! I asked her what they had been in the past before this change and they were between 230 and 250. So proud of her! She taught herself another lesson too when she had a slight slip again with some cheese and ham... The result? Bad heart burn and she hadn't had any since starting the vegan diet. Neither of us are upset about these little stumbles - I know she is human and adopting a vegan diet is a huge breakthrough for her as it is. Plus, she always learns from them and gets right back up again. I sent her all the recipes from the January kickstart which, condensed as much as possible, came to 42 pages of good eating!

I'm also proud to have found a good friend at work to do the kickstart with me in February! She's currently a vegetarian of about 3 years but had always failed at attempts at veganism (that darn cheese!). She was excited about this kickstart because it is giving her that push and information to try again. I'll be happy to have a vegan buddy around me Smile

- Amanda

Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 4:15 PM

MiniVegan wrote:

Another Update...
Talked with my mom on the phone yesterday and her blood sugar numbers are down to 170! I asked her what they had been in the past before this change and they were between 230 and 250. So proud of her! She taught herself another lesson too when she had a slight slip again with some cheese and ham... The result? Bad heart burn and she hadn't had any since starting the vegan diet. Neither of us are upset about these little stumbles - I know she is human and adopting a vegan diet is a huge breakthrough for her as it is. Plus, she always learns from them and gets right back up again. I sent her all the recipes from the January kickstart which, condensed as much as possible, came to 42 pages of good eating!

I'm also proud to have found a good friend at work to do the kickstart with me in February! She's currently a vegetarian of about 3 years but had always failed at attempts at veganism (that darn cheese!). She was excited about this kickstart because it is giving her that push and information to try again. I'll be happy to have a vegan buddy around me Smile

This is great news minivegan - and so glad you're bringing a friend to the February team!

By the way, I'll be offering a teleclass to the Kickstarters in Feb so watch for that as well. Fun!

Thanks for the update!

Lani

Posted Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Would love to know how you got your Mom on board! My Mom was very frustrated with trying to plan & fix meals for she and my father after Dad's doctor gave them a list of all the foods to exclude from his diet. Beef, chicken, pork, fish, cheese, and keep it low fat and low GI. Sound familiar? I've fixed several vegan meals for them and given Mom a vegan cookbook, but they're not sticking with it. (Dad's got COPD, congestive heart failure & type 2 diabetes. Mom is borderline diabetic.)

Jennifer

Posted Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 9:00 PM

dodink58 wrote:

Would love to know how you got your Mom on board! My Mom was very frustrated with trying to plan & fix meals for she and my father after Dad's doctor gave them a list of all the foods to exclude from his diet. Beef, chicken, pork, fish, cheese, and keep it low fat and low GI. Sound familiar? I've fixed several vegan meals for them and given Mom a vegan cookbook, but they're not sticking with it. (Dad's got COPD, congestive heart failure & type 2 diabetes. Mom is borderline diabetic.)

Jennifer

I asked my mom to start with a week. Just 7 days. And I reminded her that I was doing this with her too. I planned out meals with her, looked up recipes, and made grocery shopping lists. I asked her to watch youtube videos by Dr. McDougall and Dr. Barnard. Being 3000 miles away from her, I would call every few days and ask how she was doing. I email her the recipes I got from here.
I made sure to tell her how proud I was of her that she was doing this. I reminded her how much better she was going to feel and that slip ups weren't the end of the world as long as she got back up again. Good luck and don't give up! Lead by example, record your own numbers for her (weight, inches, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc) so she can see that is does so much good.

- Amanda

Posted Friday, February 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM

dodink58 wrote:

Jennifer

That can be really overwhelming - not just the meal re-working but all the stress that goes with caring for someone with such complex health issues. It also probably needs to be low sodium as well as low fat and all.

What might help would be to help mom plan out a week or two of menus, variations on things they like and are familiar with. When confronted with dinnertime, a cookbook, and a lot of unfamiliar ingredients, it can be hard to think. For that matter, even in our house, where we've been doing this for a couple years now, it is helpful to have a menu plan written out and posted so that hubby (The household chef) knows how to plan his day (does he need to soak beans? does he have to start chopping veggies for the stir fry at 4:30 or can he wait until 5 to put the rice on for rice and beans?)

If there are things you've prepared for them, that they liked, mark the page in the cookbook for your mom, so she knows where to find it. As we've collected recipes that we like (kickstart and elsewhere), we print them and have a binder, with dividers for "soups", "entrees", "desserts", etc. so we don't have to try to find recipes "I know that recipe is here somewhere!" We've also tagged pages in cookbooks that have favorites so we can track things down easily.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 173 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org