21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: how to get the benefits from fish, and/or fish oil
Created on: 09/23/13 12:59 AM Views: 861 Replies: 2
how to get the benefits from fish, and/or fish oil
Posted Monday, September 23, 2013 at 12:59 AM

hi all, i'm curious to know how I can get my omega 3's. are there vegan supplements? I know that there are fish oil supplements, and some people take these If they just don't like the taste or actual eating of fish/sea food. but for us vegans, even the fish oils are clearly NOT vegan, so what is an alternative? is there a way to get these benefits from other foods? the only other source I know is walnuts, and unfortunately i'm allergic to them.

I struggle with depression and anxiety, and I also read that inbalance of omega 3 acids can contribute to this.

how to get the benefits from fish, and/or fish oil
Posted Monday, September 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM

If you eat a low-fat, plant-based diet, you will naturally get your omega-3s in a perfect balance. No supplements required! However, if you feel you need an extra boost or your physician is recommending them, there are vegan versions of EPA/DHA that you could find online.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: how to get the benefits from fish,
Posted Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I supplement my diet with flax, chia and basil seeds. All three contain Omega 3. I throw a tablespoon or so of flax seeds or chia seeds into my oatmeal. I've haven't experimented with basil seeds except to use them in a beverage.

deborah

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 523 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org