21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: What about Oils???
Created on: 01/17/13 02:08 PM Views: 1620 Replies: 10
What about Oils???
Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I'm just on day one and still figuring this all out. Just made the Curried Tomato Lentil Soup (Shorba Addis) to have with lunch. I noticed that there were not oils used in sautéing. What healthy fats if any are included?

I noticed in the information on the book "Dr Bernard's Program for Reversing Diabetes" the diet is low-fat vegetarian diet—free of all animal products and added vegetable oils. Don't we need a small amount of the healthy oils for proper body and brain function, and to help the body absorb vitamins A,D,E and K?

If oils are not included what is the rationale and why is it OK?

RE: What about Oils???
Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Most foods, including grains, fruit and vegetables contain small amounts of oil naturally - where does corn oil, olive oil, peanut oil, etc come from after all, right? Smile The kickstart plan aims for 10% or so of calories from fat - and that occurs naturally, not stuff that's added. 10% of a 2000 calorie diet would be 200 calories from fat, or about 22 grams per day. A cup of chopped raw broccoli has about 3 calories from fat...yes, broccoli! all by itself. 1/4 cup of cooked brown rice has about 14 calories from fat. 1 cup of soy milk is somewhere around 25 calories from fat. 1/2 cup of dry rolled oats (about what I would eat for breakfast) is about 25 calories from fat. Just think - a serving of oatmeal plus a glass of soy milk comes to about 1/4 of the target of fat for the day(assuming a 2000 calorie total) without adding any oils or anything. Add a glass of OJ (< 5 calories from fat) and a slice of whole wheat toast (about 15) with a little applesauce (pretty much 0), that's another 20 calories from fat. So, a nice rather hearty breakfast comes in at over 1/3 of the fat for the day. And, if you're aiming for fewer calories for the day (either because you're smaller or trying to lose weight), then it's a higher percentage of the day (for example, at 1500 calories per day, or target 150 calories from fat, this breakfst is almost half the day's fat).

So, there's really no need to ADD fat when it's already there.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Thanks - looks like I need to complete rethink what I "know" about nutrition. Reading "Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes", so that should be a good starting point. Following this program while learning seems like the way to go.

Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM

yeah, there's so much out there about 'healthy fat' that what's been missed is that it was already there to start with before it was stripped out. Just like all those 'fortified' foods - they strip out the nutrients that were there to start with then add back chemically what they took out.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I was surprised too regarding the oil when I first started. After reading a lot on the 21 day kickstart website and watching a few of Dr. Bernard’s video’s I realize heart healthy oils are good for you like skim milk is good for you or lean meat is good for you.

It's all the same lie. Oils found naturally in foods are naturally good, like avocado, coconut, flax seed, etc. It's when they process them into oils. Sort of like when they process sugarcane into sugar. It's accepted and they are efficient calories, yet not the healthiest choice.

I've learned the USDA and the FDA support our economy and that isn't always the best thing for designing the optimum diet for public health. It’s not just calories in and calories out.

Today’s wheat is grown to have 10 times the amount of gluten. Gluten provides elasticity to dough, which allows bread to rise and makes for a more efficient process to mass produce. High Fructose Corn Syrup is a more efficient way to deliver calories to the majority of processed food, giving a longer shelf life. Humans like being efficient.

I believed for so long what the experts told me about healthy eating and the food pyramid then later the plate. I can see the typical American Diet is killing me and my family and destroying the earth in the process. Sorry, I digress……

I stopped using oil a little over a week ago. I haven’t missed it. It does take a bit of an adjustment with cooking but nothing an old dog can’t learn… Now I’m loving food. I’m loving life. I can eat a big huge plate of salad with a delicious “fat free” dressing and a huge big plate of beans and grains and feel wonderfully stuffed and be healthy and lose weight. Life is good.

Here’s a website if you want to play with your food…

http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html

Posted Friday, January 18, 2013 at 1:19 AM

readpr wrote:

Thanks - looks like I need to complete rethink what I "know" about nutrition. Reading "Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes", so that should be a good starting point. Following this program while learning seems like the way to go.

I agree. Reading while following the Kickstart programme is the way to go. Speaking for myself I am more likely to stick with this healthy way of eating if I understand the why (the science) along with the what (foods to eat) and how (preparing and cooking). You may be the same.

In case you want some ideas after you have finished with Dr Barnard's books I also recommend Dr's McDougall http://www.drmcdougall.com/
and Esselstyn http://www.heartattackproof.com/.

There are also several good movies available like
Forks over Knives and some great cookbooks that do low-fat vegan. Two of my favourites are The Happy Herbivore and Dr McDougalls cookbooks. Be aware there are some vegan cookbooks that seem quite high in fat in many of the recipes (although you can always change the recipe to leave the fat out).

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 01/18/13 1:21 AM
Posted Friday, January 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Thanks for the info and additional resources for learning about nutrition and vegan recipes. This will be helpful. I had already ordered the Forks Over Knives cookbook and plan to watch the video. I'll check out the other resources.

Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Here’s a website if you want to play with your food…

http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html[/quote]

Thanks for that link. What a great site!!

Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM

kiwi wrote:

readpr wrote:

I agree. Reading while following the Kickstart programme is the way to go. Speaking for myself I am more likely to stick with this healthy way of eating if I understand the why (the science) along with the what (foods to eat) and how (preparing and cooking). You may be the same.

In case you want some ideas after you have finished with Dr Barnard's books I also recommend Dr's McDougall http://www.drmcdougall.com/
and Esselstyn http://www.heartattackproof.com/.

There are also several good movies available like
Forks over Knives and some great cookbooks that do low-fat vegan. Two of my favourites are The Happy Herbivore and Dr McDougalls cookbooks. Be aware there are some vegan cookbooks that seem quite high in fat in many of the recipes (although you can always change the recipe to leave the fat out).

I have the Forks over knives cookbook? Are The Happy Herbivore and Dr. McDougall's low fat also? I bought another cookbook with lots of recipes,but it turns out it had fat, white sugars, etc. Thx

Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM

[quote="HunyBunny
I have the Forks over knives cookbook? Are The Happy Herbivore and Dr. McDougall's low fat also? I bought another cookbook with lots of recipes,but it turns out it had fat, white sugars, etc. Thx[/quote]

Yes both autors books are low fat and vegan. They complement the kickstart program way of eating.
- The New McDougall Cookbook
- The McDougall quick and easy cookbook
- Everyday Happy Herbivore
- The Happy Herbivore

I dont think he has a seperate cookbook but the second half of Dr Esselstyn's book "Prevent and Reverse heart disease" is recipes. His are all NO fat recipes as opposed to low fat. I have tried the hummus recipe (without tahini so no fat) and its pretty good.

I am going to buy the Engine 2 book next by Rip Esselstyn as I like books. But there are free recipes on his web site at http://engine2diet.com/

and the Happy Herbivore has many recipes on her web site if you want to check it out before buying the book
http://happyherbivore.com/

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 01/19/13 6:44 PM
Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM

kiwi wrote:

Yes both autors books are low fat and vegan. They complement the kickstart program way of eating.
- The New McDougall Cookbook
- The McDougall quick and easy cookbook
- Everyday Happy Herbivore
- The Happy Herbivore

I dont think he has a seperate cookbook but the second half of Dr Esselstyn's book "Prevent and Reverse heart disease" is recipes. His are all NO fat recipes as opposed to low fat. I have tried the hummus recipe (without tahini so no fat) and its pretty good.

I am going to buy the Engine 2 book next by Rip Esselstyn as I like books. But there are free recipes on his web site at http://engine2diet.com/

and the Happy Herbivore has many recipes on her web site if you want to check it out before buying the book
http://happyherbivore.com/

The second half of the E2 book is recipes too and you forgot Happy Herbivore Abroad. She said she is working on a 4th cookbook too.

Also, don't forget all the free recipes at NutritionMD.org

Edited 01/20/13 2:55 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 221 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: murzilkin56

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org