21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Three weeks, no weight loss!
Created on: 03/08/13 09:26 AM Views: 1932 Replies: 9
Three weeks, no weight loss!
Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Hi Everyone: I started the Engine 2 diet two weeks before joining kickstart and have not seen any weight loss! I had accepted the possibility of a slow start - but really expected things to "happen" by now. I carefully monitor nuts and avocados, eating maybe a tablespoon of peanut butter a week and about 2 tablespoons of guacamole every other week. No refined grain products at all, unless a whole grain tortilla falls into that category, and even then, they might be 3 times a week at most. My breakfasts have been Rip's big bowl, using 3/4 cups rolled oats and 1/4 cup grape nuts. Lunches are some sort of beans and veggies and brown rice or corn chips (baked). I eat s-4 fruits a day and am puzzled!

RE: Three weeks, no weight loss!
Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM

If you're eating well, then you probably need to look at portion size, exercise, and any other health issues you might have (like hypothyroid which makes weight loss slow). Oh, and make sure you've got the veggies especially green stuff and lots of water. And, too, keep in mind that this is a long term lifestyle change not a quick weight loss plan.

Hang in there.

--DebR

Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Thanks, Bugsmom. Not looking for quick weight loss, just some weight loss.

Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I know how frustrating it can feel. When I started I really didn't need to lose a lot of weight. To me it seemed like everyone was saying how much weight they lost, how great they looked, etc.etc. After about three months it was as if a switch flipped and bang it happened. Wishing your nothing but the best on your journey.

Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Marge, thanks. I do have a considerable amount to lose, about 40 pounds. While not new to vegetarianism/veganism, I am new to low fat. Since I have had a weight issue since childhood, I do suspect it might take time for things to "right" themselves.
It is comforting to know that others have had a slow response.

Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I am on vegan diet for about 6 weeks now. The first 4 weeks I was bloated and all clothes got tight. But sticking with it, it eased off and I started to loose 1 pound a week which I am very happy with.

I am not following the menu plan, I make my own. I do not look at the portion sizes, I eat when I want, how much I want, what ever I want as long as it is vegan and low fat. I stopped eating nuts and using oil. I try to have a cup of beans a day, plenty of fruit and veg and I am not shy with whole grain pasta, rice or bread.

All I can advise, is stick with it. Try another week? Very Happy

Edited 03/08/13 11:06 AM
Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM

cloudschange wrote:

Hi Everyone: I started the Engine 2 diet two weeks before joining kickstart and have not seen any weight loss! I had accepted the possibility of a slow start - but really expected things to "happen" by now. I carefully monitor nuts and avocados, eating maybe a tablespoon of peanut butter a week and about 2 tablespoons of guacamole every other week. No refined grain products at all, unless a whole grain tortilla falls into that category, and even then, they might be 3 times a week at most. My breakfasts have been Rip's big bowl, using 3/4 cups rolled oats and 1/4 cup grape nuts. Lunches are some sort of beans and veggies and brown rice or corn chips (baked). I eat s-4 fruits a day and am puzzled!

Cloudschange,

Great suggestions so far and here are some more:

6 reasons you might have gained weight on a plant-based diet when your goal is to lose weight

Hope this helps!
Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I really appreciate your input Hana. I don't believe I'll be giving up this lifestyle, after hearing of a friend's husband's stroke, and diabetes rampant among acquaintances. We've been veg/vegan for about 19 years ( 3 kids raised healthily, all normal weight).
As for me, I really enjoyed peanut butter, and sautéing in olive oil, especially broccoli rabe and mustard greens with a bit of crushed red pepper, garlic and oil cured olives. In fact, I often think of that nursery rhyme...Jack Sprat could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean...

Anyhow, those preps are a thing of the past. I haven't tried those greens w/o fat yet. Kale and collards are fine without, but aahh
broccoli rabe and mustard greens...

Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

cloudschange wrote:

Cloudschange,

6 reasons you might have gained weight on a plant-based diet when your goal is to lose weight

Hope this helps!
Lani

Lani, I went straight to your website and the advice is just great. Your verified some of my suspicions; I know my fiber intake increased dramatically, output as well Very Happy. Luckily, I've always preferred to eat my food rather than drink it.

I want to thank everyone for the advice. It was getting to be so
upsetting with the stationary weight. It really helps knowing that others have had this experience.

Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 at 11:49 AM

cloudschange wrote:

LaniMuelrath wrote:
cloudschange wrote:

Cloudschange,

Hope this helps!
Lani

Lani, I went straight to your website and the advice is just great. Your verified some of my suspicions; I know my fiber intake increased dramatically, output as well Very Happy. Luckily, I've always preferred to eat my food rather than drink it.

I want to thank everyone for the advice. It was getting to be so
upsetting with the stationary weight. It really helps knowing that others have had this experience.

Cloudschange,

Great - I'm glad you find this encouraging and as long as you've made a realistic assessment of your plate then giving it time and persistence should take you where you want to go. I know for me, the changes in weight never happened rapidly - I can always count on at least 3 weeks of effort for it to show on the scale! Luckily when eating this way, the occasions when one needs to tighten up a little bit are few and far between.

Keep us posted!

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 353 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: sailorgirl

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org