21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Peanuts and peanut butter?
Created on: 02/19/14 08:37 PM Views: 740 Replies: 7
Peanuts and peanut butter?
Posted Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Are peanuts good and considered healthy, and appropriate for our vegan kickstart?

Some people say to avoid peanuts because of aflatoxins...or because it's not 'allowed' for their fancy 'paleo' diet! but this is only for raw peanuts, maybe? So for example,if I roast / boil them, or i buy a portion-sized snack at the store, it would not be dangerous, correct?

I know peanuts are a 'scary' food for people because of the fat content, but if I'm not trying to lose weight, good health in other respects, it's okay to have? I think they make such a good addition to everything! in rice dishes, in trail mixes with other nuts or fruit, and of course peanut butter with veg. sticks.

Plus - I read that peanuts are much better than many snack foods since they are naturally low in sugar, and high in antioxidants.
Oh, and for those of you who use peanut butter..do you make your own? What brands do you prefer? I find it's hard to get a brand that's purely peanuts, and not all this added stuff. most of the time they are much too salty or sweet for my liking.

Thank you all =)

RE: Peanuts and peanut butter?
Posted Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Peanuts are vegan and fine in moderation. Watch out for added salt!

Jen

Posted Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 9:10 PM

I was telling a friend that I'm allergic to almost all brands of peanut butter and she brought me a tub of peanut butter made by a local health food store where they grind just peanuts, no additives at all, just the nuts. I can eat that fine.

See if you can find a store that does that if you don't want the added salt, sugar, oil, etc.

Posted Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Thanks guys! Yes, it is hard indeed to find peanut butter that is more natural...however, I am finding I enjoy almonds a lot more, and I prefer the almond butter to use as a spread or with veg.

I don't know why this is but nearly every commercial peanut butter has these hydrogenated oils. They say 'fully hydrogenated' like on Skippy and Jif, the two major brands I see. But I found Justin's Almond butter was not like this, and it had a more 'clean' and pure taste.

Posted Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Oh and one more thing, I found an outrageously expensive item today at the organic section of the supermarket ( Safeway / Giant ) it was a powdered peanut butter mix, i believe you add water to it. but it was insane - $ 10.00 for this! just powder???! I might as well just buy some Hershey cocoa powder, mix water to that, isn't it the same thing! I like to try and be vegan on a budget. =)

Posted Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 6:44 AM

Here's a quick note about nuts/seeds:

http://pcrm.org/health/diets/pplate/what-about-nuts-and-seeds

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 8:28 AM

We buy Teddy's brand peanut butter - no salt, sugar or added oils - the label says "roasted peanuts" and that's it. They do make varieties with salt but I just make sure to get the unsalted. I accidentally grabbed a salted jar a few weeks ago - just peanuts and salt. Hubby (who eats pb on his oatmeal every morning) said it was TOO salty! It's less salt than most brands but because we don't use salted pb, it was too much. We can get the Teddy's brand at just about any grocery store up here (I've bought it at three different chains).

--DebR

Posted Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 8:36 AM

At least in my area, there are numerous brands of peanut butter at both my Publix and the commissary that are "natural". I buy Maranatha raw almond butter for myself which is expensive, but I also have Smuckers "natural" PB, the ingredients listed are " peanuts and salt".

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 184 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org