21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Vitamix and almond milk
Created on: 07/31/13 02:55 PM Views: 5776 Replies: 20
Vitamix and almond milk
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 2:55 PM

We LOVE it and can't believe how long we waited before getting one - okay, it made sense, kinda - it's an expensive piece of equipment and didn't seem all that different from a good quality blender. But oh, it's SO much more! Just made our first batch of almond milk. Later today, I'm going to use it to try to make almond based yogurt - I really miss yogurt with homemade granola and fruit. Tried a couple times with commercial almond milk but they have stuff added so they don't separate and all which left me with yucky mess, not yogurt.

What do those of you who make your own almond milk do with the leftover almond meal? We put it in a container in the fridge for now but need some ideas on what to do with it before it turns into a science project.

--DebR

RE: Vitamix and almond milk
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Hi Bugsmom, I'm like you. I've been contemplating the Vitamix for quite a while, but can't seem to justify the cost. Do you really recommend it? I'm not trying to put you on the spot, just want your feedback. Anybody else can join in too!!!!!

Posted Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 7:44 AM

It arrived on Tuesday mid morning. By Wednesday afternoon, it had been used 3 times. We haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do - the one we got (on the higher end of the scale) has pre-programmed settings for things like smoothies, soups, and cleaning - you just turn the dial to 'smoothie' icon and hit Start and it ramps up the speed, blends it nicely, then stops when it is done. Pour the smoothie into glasses then add water and a bit of dish soap and hit the 'clean' icon and hit Start and it whirs away. When it stops, dump it out and rinse the suds away.

I am thinking that we're going to try the banana ice cream like substance that we've heard people rave about next - we've got the bananas and there's a 'frozen dessert' setting.

Also, it came with a really BIG book of recipes, in addition to the small assortment in the Getting Started guide.

We're considering even trying to make a Nutella like substance again (Last time we tried that, it burned out the blender's motor!)

We have almost no counter space in the kitchen so only the things that get the most use can stay out - we displaced the toaster for the Vitamix!

--DebR

Posted Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM

BTW we used some of the almond milk to make yogurt! A little background: we've been using almond milk (from the store) for quite a few years now (even pre-vegan because I needed something with fewer carbs on my breakfast cereal - the unsweetened, unflavored almond milk runs about 4 grams of carbs per cup vs. 11 or 12 grams of carb per cup for dairy). I tried making yogurt with it once using the same process as with dairy and it was nasty. Bleh. I did a little research and tried again a few months later. Bleh. Then a light bulb - they add all sorts of thickeners and such to it which likely kept it from doing the right thing when it comes to feeding and growing the yogurt culture. So, I took some of our lovely fresh almond milk, used the info I had researched, and tried again. This time, it worked! It's in the fridge setting up a bit (it firms up a touch as it cools down). Taste test and all will be around lunchtime today.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Yes, the Vitamix is worth the price, but you can get refurbished ones, too, which would be just like getting a new one.

Stephen

Posted Friday, August 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM

This is encouraging news, Deb.

Did you try the almond yogurt yet ? I imagine it would need some kind of sweetener. I think yogurt of any kind needs a sweetener.

Wash your back

Posted Friday, August 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Thanks for all the info. I can tell y'all are very pleased with your Vita Mixes. Makes me want to get one right now. Exclamation How did the taste test for the yogurt turn out? That is one thing I do miss is yogurt. Did you try making the banana icecream yet?

Posted Monday, August 5, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Yogurt needs a bit of tweaking still - we need to (a) strain the almond milk even more thoroughly than we did (some of the grittiness got through) then (b) drain the yogurt more (we like it more Greek-style). That said, however, I cut up a fresh peach, added a drizzle of agave, added a couple handfuls of homemade granola, then topped with about 1/4 or so of the almond yogurt and it was yummy! Because the fruit and agave made it even looser, it was more like a heavy cream than a yogurt if that makes sense, texture-wise. It definitely needs sweetener added (above and beyond the sweetener needed to grow the culture when making the yogurt). But, it worked (commercial almond milk didn't). So, now we know what to do when we want yogurt.

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 2:32 AM

I think this is a Kickstart exclusive. I've never heard of Almond yoghurt before.

Wash your back

Posted Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Since I got most of my info on the how-tos, tips, tricks from the Interwebz, I'm guessing there are plenty of other people making almond milk yogurt out there - whether they're vegan or lactose intolerant (and avoiding soy perhaps), it's out there

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Bugsmom wrote:

Since I got most of my info on the how-tos, tips, tricks from the Interwebz, I'm guessing there are plenty of other people making almond milk yogurt out there - whether they're vegan or lactose intolerant (and avoiding soy perhaps), it's out there.

Looks like I was wrong.

Another Kickstart exclusive.

Wash your back

Posted Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

We LOVE it and can't believe how long we waited before getting one - okay, it made sense, kinda - it's an expensive piece of equipment and didn't seem all that different from a good quality blender. But oh, it's SO much more! Just made our first batch of almond milk. Later today, I'm going to use it to try to make almond based yogurt - I really miss yogurt with homemade granola and fruit. Tried a couple times with commercial almond milk but they have stuff added so they don't separate and all which left me with yucky mess, not yogurt.

What do those of you who make your own almond milk do with the leftover almond meal? We put it in a container in the fridge for now but need some ideas on what to do with it before it turns into a science project.

--DebR

Hey DebR,

I switched to making almond milk with raw almond butter - no gritty stuff or straining required!

Have you tried this method?

Lani
facebook

Lani

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 9:18 PM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

I switched to making almond milk with raw almond butter - no gritty stuff or straining required!

What!?!

Instructions please, Lani.

Posted Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Jodie wrote:

LaniMuelrath wrote:

What!?!

Instructions please, Lani.

Jodie,

2 cups water
1 Tablespoon raw almond butter
2 medjool dates, soaked
tsp pure vanilla extract (optional)

Blend!

You can vary the amount of almond butter and the dates for your choice of intensity.

Store in a glass jar in the fridge. It separates out over the hours, but then you just shake it up.

Lani
facebook

Posted Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 9:18 AM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Jodie,

2 cups water
2 medjool dates, soaked

Blend!

You can vary the amount of almond butter and the dates for your choice of intensity.

Store in a glass jar in the fridge. It separates out over the hours, but then you just shake it up.

Lani
facebook

Awesome! Thanks! With how rarely I use almond milk this is a great option. Plus I'll know what's in it!

Posted Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Jodie wrote:

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Jodie,

2 cups water
2 medjool dates, soaked

Blend!

Lani
facebook

Awesome! Thanks! With how rarely I use almond milk this is a great option. Plus I'll know what's in it!

Jodie,

That's what I figured too - this way you aren't wedded to have the whole carton open, and you can control the sugar/salt in it (don't need to add any).

I also found those cartons tend to stack up, though I DID ask at the recyclers and they said you can recycle the cartons in cardboard. But I kept wincing at the price for what seemed like largely a container of water!

Lani
facebook

Posted Friday, October 4, 2013 at 8:53 PM

What a cool recipe - will definitely try making this!

Especially since I'll be buying a Vitamix soon (can't wait!!)

I'm always leery of the additives in commercially-bought almond milk, and going through so many containers is bad for the environment. Plus those store-bought drinks are so expensive.

Thanks again for such an easy and straight-forward recipe - I can't wait to try it! Smile

Posted Friday, October 4, 2013 at 9:10 PM

sarahthetraveller wrote:

What a cool recipe - will definitely try making this!

Especially since I'll be buying a Vitamix soon (can't wait!!)

I'm always leery of the additives in commercially-bought almond milk, and going through so many containers is bad for the environment. Plus those store-bought drinks are so expensive.

Thanks again for such an easy and straight-forward recipe - I can't wait to try it! Smile

Great Sarahthetraveller! Be sure to let me know how it goes and if you have any suggestions for the recipe.

Lani

Posted Monday, October 28, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I love my Vitamix. I bought a few years ago to do smoothies and try green smoothies. I do not have a juicer and seems like such a waste of vital fruits/veggies. Anyway, I am not using it much now, because I hesitate to make smoothies after hearing Dr. Esselstyn state how bad they are for you. He did not go into great detail so I didn't quite understand his argument completely. He states it breaks down the fibers etc so that sugars are more rapidly digested- I think. Anyone else understand what he is trying to state about smoothies?

Posted Monday, October 28, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Hi........
Welcome to this site, which is useful and by which you can take knowledge about your query.
I hope it will advantageous for you all.
Thank You......
TO check out please visit.......
-----------------------------------------------------

ATI RADEON HD 5670 – SERIES GRAPHICS CARDS FROM AMD

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 174 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org