21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: How to Stay On Course and Not Lose Weight?
Created on: 06/17/13 01:05 PM Views: 822 Replies: 3
How to Stay On Course and Not Lose Weight?
Posted Monday, June 17, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I am 5'8" and weighed a healthy 153 lbs before I started on a low fat vegan diet three months back, to try and reverse my diabetes.

While the diet is definitely helping my sugar levels, I am also losing weight which I do not want to lose. I have lost 12 lbs. in three months and look and feel underweight now.

I wonder, how can somebody reap the benefits of reversing diabetes, but not lose weight? They seem to go hand in hand.

Any tips?

RE: How to Stay On Course and Not Lose Weight?
Posted Monday, June 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM

You will quite "simply" need to eat more food. I realize that sounds easier than it actually is for some people. Especially if you feel like you eat a lot as it is.

You almost have to approach this like an athlete. For athletes who complete and burn thousands and thousands of calories, and eat plant-based diets, they need to eat a lot more volume.

One trick is to add a smoothie to your routine. It's a lot easier to drink calories than to chew them. A smoothie with plant-milk and/or fruit juice can add as many as 300 calories a day, which over time, should be enough of an addition to gain weight, or at least, to stop the loss.

Other tricks include lower-fiber foods like pasta. Add pasta to soups and salads. This can be less filling than whole grains so you can eat a bit more.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, June 17, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Susan - Thank you for your quick response. Appreciate it.

I would like to clarify your following statement however - "Other tricks include lower-fiber foods like pasta. Add pasta to soups and salads. This can be less filling than whole grains so you can eat a bit more."

I was wondering that will lower-fiber foods not have a higher Glycemic Index? Does it matter whether I eat White Pasta or Whole Wheat Pasta? Can the same logic be extended to Rice (White Rice over Brown Rice) and Bread (White Bread over Rye Bread)as they will be less filling and I can eat more of them?

Posted Monday, June 17, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Low fiber doesn't necessarily mean high glycemic index. White pasta, for example, is not the best fiber source but it does not have a high glycemic index either; the same is true for white rice. This lack of fiber, though, may make it easier to eat more. Some people have found that to be the case - not all.

The "wholes" are better for nutrient density - so whole wheat pasta and brown rice have more fiber and other nutrients.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 253 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org