21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Constantly queasy with hunger pangs
Created on: 08/06/13 12:33 PM Views: 4472 Replies: 16
Constantly queasy with hunger pangs
Posted Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I've felt vey queasy the last couple days. The first few we're mostly fine. Seems I have to eat every two hours. Tried to stay with enough fiber, including pinto beans, black beans, grains, fruits and veggies. Have been consuming a bit of white bread here and there since I'm on vacation and have run into problems with options on the menu. This is the same type of queasiness I've gotten in the past when I haven't eaten enough and my blood sugar drops too far. Seems I am especially prone to low blood sugar. Which seems to result in not only queasiness, but also feeling light headed. In the past, I feel better when I'd eat a combination of protein and carbohydrates, like cheese and crackers or sardines and saltines. Anyhow, I'd really like to stay with the diet, but I can't seem to shake this queasy feeling. Feel like I'm going to overeat in order to avoid the feeling.

As I look at my diet over the last couple days, I see a pattern of starting with a high fiber meal, but then don't feel satisfied and eat something else, plant based but high glycemic index. I brought a healthy high fiber oatmeal with me to the hotel which I ate with lots of fresh blueberries and raspberries and topped it with a teaspoon of walnuts. I didn't have anything else at the hotel, so I ate a quarter of a Belgian waffle with a teaspoon of artificial pancake syrup. Ick. A couple hours later when I got to my parents house I was feeling queasy again. I made pinto beans, brown rice and steamed plantains. Was full. Didn't last very long. Later (queasy again), had a garden salad with spring mix, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers and half cup steamed edamame. With a teaspoon of light raspberry vinegarette. And white French bread with no topping. Queasy all the time. Later that evening, had plain whole wheat cereal with plain unsweetened almond milk. Should have topped with a yummy fruit, but didn't. Hungry and queasy again. A little later, caved in and had a slice of Mrs. smith's cherry pie. Plant based, but certainly unhealthy. Sugar, partially hydrogenated stuff. Went to bed. Woke up hungry and, you guessed it, queasy at 2am again.

Is this what it's like and we just get used to it? Completely eliminate anything high glycemic? What foods are actually going to keep me satisfied?

Where are my cheese and crackers?

I'm normal weight, athletic, female, early 40's. Overall, quite helalthy. Probably pretty high metabolism. I tend to burn 2200 - 2600 calories a day. And not pregnant (felt i had to put the disclaimer in since I'm queasy so much). Smile

My family has a horrible history of heart disease, strokes, cancer and diabetes. I love the idea and taste of a plant based diet. The foods appeal to me. Any ideas?

RE: Constantly queasy with hunger pangs
Posted Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Try hummus and crackers instead of cheese - the chickpeas provide protein and fiber. Also, make sure the crackers themselves are whole grain (not saltines or Ritz type).

Eating every few hours is not a bad thing, once you find out what pattern works for you. For instance, I plan out my day such that I have cereal with plant milk for breakfast, then about 2 1/2 hours or so later (halfway between breakfast and lunch), I have a piece of fruit or hummus/crackers or the like - basically the 'other half' of breakfast. Then lunch. Then another snack midway between lunch and dinner. Then dinner.

Nut butter on whole grain toast, hummus on crackers, baked tortilla chips and bean dip (beans slightly mashed up plus salsa and maybe a bit of avocado if you have it). One of my 'fall back' options even in the evening is cereal with a little dried or fresh fruit and nuts with plant milk - it's simple, we've always got some kind of cereal on hand, and it settles my stomach without making things go crazy glucose-wise (provided I keep to the portion size that I know is right for me).

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Thank you for the combo items - protein and fiber. I'm going to stock up. I love hummus!

Posted Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM

oh, also, you can make something akin to tuna salad by using cold chickpeas (for a creamy hummus, the chickpeas need to be hot when you process them). Pulse the cold chickpeas a couple of times in a food processor (or blender I suppose). Then add whatever you'd put into a tuna salad or egg salad - a vegan mayo, some mustard, chopped onion, celery, carrot, what-have-you. Or, you can look up recipes to make a vegan mayo-like dressing (it's really pretty easy - plant milk, oil, whir in blender, add vinegar and a touch of sweetener to balance it, a pinch of salt and maybe some dried herbs like basil or oregano, continue whirring until you've got a creamy emulsion).

You can also sprinkle a bit of salt or nutritional yeast onto chickpeas and eat them cold like peanuts. Or, roast them to make a slightly crunchier snack.

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM

On my real active days, you know the ones, leaving the house before six and not getting home until after 10 at night. I'll put about a tablespoon of chia or hot basil seeds in my bottle of water.

The seeds plump up and hold a lot of water forming little water bubbles around the actual seeds. The seeds are tiny, smaller than sesame seeds. You can carry 3 or 4 servings with you easy. I still have my regular vegan plate of goodness, but on "those" days...it's a nice supplement.

I've used 3 servings in a day and had good results. They don't flavor the water and most of the time you can't even tell you're drinking them except the ones that might stay in your mouth after swallowing. I like "popping" em.

I'm not diabetic but I suspect menopause plays with my chemistry sometimes. I think it also helps me stay balanced on those days I'm feeling off. I call it my real energy drink. Maybe it could help you too.

Posted Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Wow! Thank you to you both for the bubble chias and chickpea "tuna" salad.

Posted Saturday, August 24, 2013 at 8:50 PM

The chickpea salad is really good. Where can I find the chia or hot basil seeds?

Posted Sunday, August 25, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I get my hot basil seeds at an Asian market close to me. I get my chia seeds and organic soybeans online.

Posted Sunday, August 25, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Anita,

I've used chia seeds before. My favorite use for them is chocolate chia seed pudding. What are "hot basil seeds"? Do they have flavor (hot) or are they bland like chia seeds?

deborahjm

Posted Monday, August 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I discovered hot basil seeds at the Asian market. I couldn't read the package but the picture on front looked like my chia drink so I bought them thinking maybe was the same thing. They also are called Thai basil seeds.

In my research I found out that hot basil seeds originate in Asian and Chia seeds originated in South America. I find it fascinating how two different continents developed the similar product for humans to eat so far apart from each other.

They both get that gelatinous quality and have similar nutritional value. Although with the increase of popularity of chia seeds cost more, the basil seeds are still really inexpensive. So don't tell anyone...LOL

Hope this helps.

Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Anita,

My son reminded me of a rosewater drink with basil seeds in it that we have purchased at Phoenicia Specialty Foods in Houston. It's the only place I've have been able to find it but the basil seeds in it are probably what you're describing. I'll have to check the Chinese food store we frequent for the basil seeds.

deborahjm

Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I was born in Houston and now live in California. My wish is you find them easily.
Let me know....

Posted Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I was born in Houston and now live in California.
My wish is you find them easily.
Let me know....

Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I lived in California years ago. Would love to go back sometime.

Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Wow! Sorry that you aren't feeling well.

I must say that I've never been hungry since switching to this way of eating. Well, I guess if I'm hungry I just keep eating : )

As to Chia seeds, I find them right in my local CVS drugstore or at the local health food store.

I've never tried putting them in water. The bubble thing sounds kind of weird, so I don't think I will. I put them in my veggie salad every day. Once it's mixed up I don't even know they are there, but I add them for the nutrients and fiber.

I hope the queasy feeling and hunger pangs will subside for you.

Posted Monday, September 16, 2013 at 10:43 PM

anita wrote:

Although with the increase of popularity of chia seeds cost more, the basil seeds are still really inexpensive. So don't tell anyone

Anita, I finally made a trip to the Chinese market. Yes, the basil seeds are inexpensive compared to chia. I made a chia fresca drink with them which was pretty good.

Posted Thursday, September 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I'm amazed that two seeds originating on two different continents share so many similar nutritional qualities. If this isn't proof we need to be eating a plant based diet, I don't know what is. I'm fascinated by this, just blows me away. Glad you found them.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 43 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org