21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: [Sticky] WELCOME Kickstarters!
Created on: 03/27/12 04:15 PM Views: 21410 Replies: 77
WELCOME Kickstarters!
Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Hello - Welcome newcomers and alumni to the April 2012 Kickstart! You have found one of the greatest treasures in the Kickstart - the forum! Here you will find a place to discuss your challenges, successes, and to learn from everyone else's.

It's spring, and it's time to get healthy and feel rejuvenated. Let's get started!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

RE: WELCOME Kickstarters!
Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Hi Susan!

So are YOU ready for us? Some of us that lurk...watch...keep things stirred up?

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Ready for you? I COUNT on you!! I can't do this without the KickSMART crew.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Awww we love you too! Very Happy

I truly enjoy this forum and look forward to a new "season"!

It has been a long haul and I can't help but believe with this forum's information combined with macrobiotics, we will find health for mom and the cancer.

Also, a good friend of mine's son was diagnosed with cystinosis. The little guy has trouble keeping weight on and getting nutrients... ready for it?? The doctors have told the parents to feed him lots of heavy cream, butter, whole milk, etc.... I wanted to scream!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Edited 03/27/12 8:40 PM
Posted Wednesday, March 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Thanks Susan,

I am looking forward to Kickstart,April 2,as words are not enough to convey how my overall health has changed since I began with the Kickstart programs(India 2011, Jan 2012 & completion of Kickstart China.)

Thanks to all the PCRM team, everyone involved & the forum who have been part of my successful health journey.
gingerstyme

Posted Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM

When's the official start date? April 2nd or 4th?
I'm so excited! Very Happy

Posted Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Monday - April 2!

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Hi,
It is great to be back! Gotta tell you.. My husband went to the prostate doctor yesterday. A year ago he was a beginner vegan eater and his psa number was down to its lowest ever... a four.. he was very happy and decided if that was the ONLY thing he saw different even that was enough to go vegan.

Anyway this year his psa number was even better 2.9.

He told his doctor he was still vegan. His doctor said, "I'm not surprised at all." My husband was frustrated and MAD. Why in the world would his doctor not say anything to him before? Why did he know this and not shout it from the rooftops? Why did he let his patients (my husband for one) suffer all those years and at least not have ANY discussion about it?

Anyway... we have never felt better. His life is changed forever. NO longer are they talking rotor ruter to the prostate.. no more emergency trips to the emergency room, no more tubes when he can't pee, no more haveing to know where every bathroom in town is, no more getting up 6-7 times a night. It's just amazing how much the quality of life has changed. As he puts it.. "I wish I had done this years ago."

He thought i was crazy when i wanted to try this, now he is in whole bean.

Posted Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 7:21 PM

This is going to be my second attempt at the Kickstart. The first time was not a success for me, but I feel I'm truly committed to making the switch this time around.

I'm pretty excited about this and can't wait to start!
Very Happy

Posted Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I'm so excited to start! FIRST TIME EVER!

Posted Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I'm cautiously optimistic about starting this program. I like the idea of a kickstart but am concerned about not eating meat for 3 weeks. My husband has been vegan before but I brought him back to the carnivore life. He's ready to return to a vegan lifestyle for solid health reasons as well as environmental issues, etc. Me? I want to feel better, lose weight and be healthier. This seems to be a good plan but I am concerned about my food allergies and intolerances.

I'm severely allergic to eggs---I'd die if I ate one or any food cross-contaminated with eggs; naturally another positive reason for a true vegan diet. But, red peppers make me sick as does yogurt and a few other foods. Why are red peppers predominant in many of the recipes? Are they necessary? What do they bring to the recipe?

Thanks!

Posted Thursday, March 29, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Thanks so much for offering this opportunity. I completed the Engine 2 28 Day Challenge a month ago and am excited to have another opportunity to confer with others who are fired up about eating plant strong! I look forward to continued learning and support as I pursue this healthy lifestyle.

Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Ellalou wrote:

I'm cautiously optimistic about starting this program. I like the idea of a kickstart but am concerned about not eating meat for 3 weeks. My husband has been vegan before but I brought him back to the carnivore life. He's ready to return to a vegan lifestyle for solid health reasons as well as environmental issues, etc. Me? I want to feel better, lose weight and be healthier. This seems to be a good plan but I am concerned about my food allergies and intolerances.

I'm severely allergic to eggs---I'd die if I ate one or any food cross-contaminated with eggs; naturally another positive reason for a true vegan diet. But, red peppers make me sick as does yogurt and a few other foods. Why are red peppers predominant in many of the recipes? Are they necessary? What do they bring to the recipe?

Thanks!

In some recipes, they're for color (like the roasted pepper hummus recipe) - feel free to leave it out or sub for something else (try spinach in place of peppers in hummus for example or use finely grated carrot if you like the color better than green or just leave it all out and have beige hummus). In other recipes, they're there because of the color, texture, flavor, and nutrient content. But again, there are lots of other ways to get those things.

Yogurt (standard dairy yogurt) is not vegan anyhow so no worries there - it's not in the kickstart. Do you react to the live cultures or is it dairy? If it's dairy, then try some of the non-dairy/vegan yogurts (soy, coconut, rice, etc) If it's the live cultures, then yeah, that's out.

Again, if it's an allergy, by all means leave that thing out - and pop in to ask for specific ways to substitute for it. There are folks here who have all sorts of health issues - celiac, soy allergies, diabetes, other allergies, etc. so we can certainly figure out options.

--Deb R

Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM

WOW! Hard to believe it's time to start again. THANK YOU! for the new recipes. Still waiting for the Droid App... Wink

Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I'm back and now I have "NO EXCUSES!" Have gone back & forth with the Vegan issue for too long now, still not eating a lot of meat, but haven't been real diligent in a balanced diet either. Praying & asking God to finally put to rest the best eating plan for me! Resently started with a new doctor for gut & digestive issues. Had food allery testing and "surprise" (duh?), the foods that came up that I'm highly reactive to are Beef, Chicken, Pork & Lamb & Flax. Wink

Found out some other issues, that I'm taking new supplements for & between that and the Vegan Kickstart I should be feeling "really good, real soon!"

Looking forward to journeying again with you!

Craftycat
So. Cal

P.S. Susan I'm the one who wrote that Kickstart Poem a couple years ago.....LOL!

Craftycat - Southern, CA
~Isaiah 43: 18 & 19 - "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing!"

Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I'm back and now I have "NO EXCUSES!" Have gone back & forth with the Vegan issue for too long now, still not eating a lot of meat, but haven't been real diligent in a balanced diet either. Praying & asking God to finally put to rest the best eating plan for me! Resently started with a new doctor for gut & digestive issues. Had food allery testing and "surprise" (duh?), the foods that came up that I'm highly reactive to are Beef, Chicken, Pork & Lamb & Flax. Wink

Found out some other issues, that I'm taking new supplements for & between that and the Vegan Kickstart I should be feeling "really good, real soon!"

Craftycat
So. Cal

P.S. Susan I'm the one who wrote that Kickstart Poem a couple years ago.....LOL!

Craftycat - Southern, CA
~Isaiah 43: 18 & 19 - "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing!"

Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Craftycat
So. Cal

Craftycat - Southern, CA

Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Oh I remember! Welcome back!

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Thanks Susan.....now I just need to learn how to delete my "multiple posts" again??? LOL!

Craftycat - Southern, CA

Posted Friday, March 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM

If you figure it out, let me know. The only trick I know is to hit "Save" and don't touch anything for a minute.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 728 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org