21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: need advice forcant eatdiettary restrictins
Created on: 12/01/12 12:37 PM Views: 550 Replies: 3
need advice forcant eatdiettary restrictins
Posted Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Can' t eat dairy, gluten, beans. What are the other choices for protein? I also find that I must have a diet rich in minerals and electrolytes due to absorption difficulty. I love kale soup, butternut squash soup and all the other cool vegan soups and have no digestive issues with them. Any suggestion? The doc does not recommend vegan for me, but he is not against it, either. I need to lose some weight as well.

Janeoverton

RE: need advice forcant eatdiettary restrictins
Posted Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I don't eat dairy or gluten either and that I can help with. I am not sure about the beans though. Can you eat lentils or split peas?

Quinoa is a GF grain that is quite hight in protein and plants all have protein in varying degrees. I believe it has been said that there typically is not a protein shortage in most people. Something about not even a word for it??

Susan will chime in and she is our resident expert! Good luck

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM

It's true - protein deficiencies are very uncommon among people consuming enough calories. Why? Because protein is abundant in everything! All plants have protein - vegetables, grains (even GF like quinoa, rice, and buckwheat), legumes, fruit, nuts, and seeds. Quinoa is a great alternative because it is so high in all of the essential amino acids. Vegetables are good sources (protein gets 1/3 of its calories from protein!). And a handful of nuts or seeds each day can add to the total (be careful with these if weight loss is a goal). Of the foods you do eat, eat a variety, and you should be fine.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM

You don't mention the particular difficulty you have with beans. My husband and I have been mostly vegan for a couple of years, and mostly vegetarian for a couple more before that, but in all that time we still have digestive difficulties with home-cooked beans and lentils. Thus we eat canned beans regularly, and have no trouble digesting them. We use Eden brand with no BPA in the cans, and I think they add kombu seaweed to many of the varieties, so this may be helping with digestibility. Though this is a more expensive way to eat beans, it may help with variety and balance in your case where you have other restrictions.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 295 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org