21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Kind of bummed!
Created on: 12/01/12 07:12 PM Views: 1008 Replies: 3
Kind of bummed!
Posted Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I started the plant based diet in July. I have followed the diet about 98% of the time. I don't use vegan convenience foods and try to stay lowfat. I will admit that since our garden ended, I lean more towards whole grains, pasta and fruit than green veg but do eat more greens than I used to. I had my lipid profile drawn the week before Thanksgiving. The last time I had it tested was a year ago. My total chol went up from 212 to 227, LDL from 151 to 166, trig from 107 to 125 and HDL down from 40 to 36. My blood pressure is better and I lost around 6-10 lbs which puts me at the high end of normal BMI. I'm pretty discouraged because I really expected great results. Any ideas? I really believe this is the most healthful way to eat but need to get my lab results to improve.

RE: Kind of bummed!
Posted Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I can totally understand. I went vegan in Jan and my cholesterol dropped from 273 to 210 in March and then 190 in May. After that it shot back up to 270. Does anyone know what causes this? For one 6-week period, I ate nothing other than what was in the Forks over Knives cookbook and my cholesterol was even higher. Maybe we can get help together.

Posted Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Wild changes in cholesterol within a short time may be an error. Check the trends or get rechecked when you are suspicious. As for how to get cholesterol numbers moving in the right direction, the best you can do is stick to the program 100% and REALLY look at the fat intake. No oils and avoid whole fatty plant foods.

If you are following it 100% before getting checked, and the lipids are not moving in the right direction, you may be one of those few people who can not overcome a genetic predisposition.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM

If I am genetically predisposed and diet just won't do it, are there options other than drugs? My mother had her first heart attack at 66, I'm 62 now so would like to get a handle on this.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 359 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org