21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: I am skinny, should I go vegan?
Created on: 09/26/13 07:17 AM Views: 1134 Replies: 4
I am skinny, should I go vegan?
Posted Thursday, September 26, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Hi everyone,

So I am 21 years old, and have decided to go vegan based on ethical reasons and for the overall health benefits. I am worried though because I am NOT doing this to lose weight. I only weigh about 105lbs right now, not even 5'2in tall -- so I am very petite. I have done a lot of research about how to be a healthy vegan, so I think I am on the right track, but I just want to make sure that I am an okay candidate for being vegan because of my petite stature. May seem like a silly/dumb question, but I just want to make sure before I get started! Also, are there any modifications I should make to my vegan plan because of my petite size?

Thanks!

Edited 09/26/13 7:21 AM
RE: I am skinny, should I go vegan?
Posted Thursday, September 26, 2013 at 8:35 AM

ccrawfo8 wrote:

Hi everyone,

So I am 21 years old, and have decided to go vegan based on ethical reasons and for the overall health benefits. I am worried though because I am NOT doing this to lose weight. I only weigh about 105lbs right now, not even 5'2in tall -- so I am very petite. I have done a lot of research about how to be a healthy vegan, so I think I am on the right track, but I just want to make sure that I am an okay candidate for being vegan because of my petite stature. May seem like a silly/dumb question, but I just want to make sure before I get started! Also, are there any modifications I should make to my vegan plan because of my petite size?

Thanks!

The only difference is that you might be able to add in a little more of things like avocado and nuts than someone who is looking to lose weight. Just eat until you're satisfied - have seconds, have a snack, whatever.

--DebR

Posted Thursday, September 26, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Great, thanks!

Posted Thursday, September 26, 2013 at 9:47 AM

A vegan diet is appropriate for anyone of any size! It's a way of eating that promotes better health, not just weight loss. If you do not need to lose weight, then you probably won't. But if you do experience unwanted weight loss, you will just need to eat more (healthful) food! All welcome!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, September 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Thanks a lot!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 242 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org